Aluminium frame polishing

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by yellow99, Oct 19, 2014.

1. yellow99

yellow99 New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    The upper part of the frame on my Fix has some nasty pitting on it. This is the polished section between the tank and lower fairing (see photo).

I want to give this section some attention and polish it. Has anyone out there done this because I'd like to return it to an 'as new' condition if possible, not give it a high shine finish. If I use special compounds (the blue and brown resin bar types) with mops is it going to make it too shiny, or will I see these imperfections go away?

Attached Files:

2. revguy

revguy New Member

Canada
    Map
    use a brillow pad it will clean it but will not leave a gloss shine. Just make sure to go back and forth in the same direction as the lines are now

3. DaHose

DaHose New Member

United States
    Map
    Don't use a Brillo pad. It will leave iron scraps in the aluminum that can rust. I recommend some 600 grit sandpaper and kerosene.

Jose

4. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    The area that is pitted looks to be the extruded spar. The stick type compounds are generally referred to here in the US as " Jewelers Rouge". Medium to high speed buffing of metal can be messy. Mask everything and remove the tank. A good wipedown with acetone or lacquer thinner will remove any old wax, coating or polish on the spar.

Masking of convoluted objects is not fun.. One basic trick is to use aluminum foil in those odd spots.

All the pits may not come out.. The Jewelers Rouge will leave a residue in the deeper pits. A little dabbing and swabbing with Q-tips with the acetone or lacquer thinner should get most of it.

Any strie' from sanding with sandpaper or graded pads will have to be buffed out as well for a high shine. For wanted strie' do your polishing first adding the strie' with a graded pad last.

An alternative to the Jewelers Rouge is one of the graded rubbing compounds. These too can be messy with buffed at medium or high speeds even using one of the random orbital buffers.

The spar will continue to oxidize so be prepared. Waxing with either a natural wax or one of the polymer types is helpful. A clearcoat is better. For that I am not familiar with what is available in UK. Best IMO to see a specialty shop dealing in automotive paint and coatings or perhaps Sherwin-Williams there.

5. metallyguitarded

metallyguitarded New Member

Map
    I see Badbilly is in one of his moods again.

6. yellow99

yellow99 New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    That's really helpful thanks. I've taken the plunge and bought a set of mops and the Jeweller's Rouge you mention. The kit comes with a compound that removes the residue and there are 4 mops with varying degrees of cutting and polishing properties.

I'll try it tomorrow and if the results are OK shove some pics on my photo bucket page. If not, this will be the last you hear of it!!!!

7. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    Like BB said, cover up. YOu should wear goggles too. That stuff flings everywhere. Best done outside if you can. I agree that you should cover all that nice polishing you are going to do with some sort of clear coat It will turn fast on you. Looking forward to seeing the end "brilliant" results.

8. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    It's OK, I am having my period.

9. Arnzinator

Arnzinator New Member

United States
    Map

If your new to polishing, try & find a scrap piece to practice on. Or something that that isn't so conspicuous.