NEW Rapid Bike Racing for VFR800 5/6/8th gens !

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by Mohawk, Oct 19, 2014.

1. Mohawk

Mohawk New Member

Last edited: Oct 19, 2014
  2. stewartj239

stewartj239 Member

United States
    Map
    That link goes nowhere. Can you repost it?

3. Mohawk

Mohawk New Member

Done, now correct, just connected it up to replace my PC3 to check that the harness would fit as it was designed for the Vtec !

4. stewartj239

stewartj239 Member

United States
    Map
    I just found the thread on VFRD. It's 21 pages, so it'll take me some time to get through it. I have typically gone with a Power Commander and would like to brush up on this to see if it is a good alternative. Do you have any high level pros or cons between the two?

5. OZ VFR

OZ VFR Member

Australia
    Map
    Just watched the video, that seems to take a long time to rev up. Doesn't seem very responsive.

6. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
    Quite the stutter off of idle. Could be timing is not responding quickly enough or you have a fuel delivery problem. Fix that and it should rev up more freely. Sounds a bit like something is holding it back. I don't know the electronic ignition version, but it sounds like the ignition timing isn't advancing quick enough and therefor the engine is sluggish. It's trying to play catch up with the fueling, or vice versa.

7. Mohawk

Mohawk New Member

Well that is the first time fire up & the engine is not up to full temp, plus only using about 10-20% throttle ! The important thing is the Vtec harness will fit the 5th gen.

I was looking to uprade my PC3 when the group buy came up. The advantage of the rapid bike racing is it gives you ignition control, as well as fuel, plus a few other options including quick shifter. The fuelling is self adaptive using the narrowband O2 sensors the bike comes with.

The PC5 has more fuelling options than the PC3 but means buying extra modules for the other functions & they don't make an ignition module for the VFR.

My bike is currently up to 112whp with my PC3 custom map. So I'll get this fitted properly & tweaked then let it do some self tuning on the fuel before another power run, to validate it can match or better the PC3 setup. Then I have a Two Brothers full system to fit :) need to add the O2 sensor ports first.

8. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
    Ahh, cold engine, didn't think about that, duh. 112 RWHP is decent! I have a 6th gen, so the wiring harness should fit too! :tongue-new:

9. Mohawk

Mohawk New Member

The group buy was for the Vtec so Dimsport the makers, used an 02-05 model Vtec to design the harness on & then did their dyno work to create the pre-installed fuel & ignition maps. We know the EFi harness connectors & ignition pickup are the same for the Fi, Vtec & Crossrunner. Need to confirm they are the same on the new 2014 VFR if they are then this will fit them to (I suspect they will be the same as its the Vtec engine & throttle bodies).

Just heard yesterday the details of what they did for testing, they used 98RON fuel (Italian company) for the dyno testing. So as the Fi & Vtec are not quite the same, I backed off all ignition cells >1 by -1 degree, so if it said 4 it now says 3 if you get my drift. I interpreted my PC3 custom map into the RB Racing fuel table manually, so in theory its somewhere around where its supposed to be, the self mapping will adjust the fuel settings, but with no knock sensor, the unit can't adjust ignition automatically. I've got a a plan to monitor knock & will manually adjust the ignition, as needed.

Hope to get the harness fitted properly this week & get it out for a run next weekend to self map the fuel. watch this space :)
    The HP figure has taken a lot of work, but if this module & the TBR exhaust work out, then it should be over 120whp in a few weeks :)

10. stewartj239

stewartj239 Member

United States
    Map
    So it sounds like it includes the Dyno Jet AutoTune equivalent module. I know that on my other bike, I am running a PCV with the AutoTune which together runs $400-$500. I'll plan to dig into that VFRD thread to learn more.

11. Mohawk

Mohawk New Member

The Racing unit includes fuel and ignition mapping as standard, for up to eight injectors. It also will auto map fueling based on some software wizardry they have done to allow them to monitor to narrow band O2 sensors that most bikes come with as standard, needs approx 200km to get a good setup, this also dupes the ECU into thinking everything is perfect, (unlike PC's O2 eliminators that just make the ECU default to failed O2 sensor mode & run very rich everywhere). It also supports pit lane speed limiter, reduced wheel braking effect for corner entry control, fuel accelerator pump.

Can use USB or Bluetooth connection to the unit, so no need to trail wires around the place !

Optional items are;-
    My Tuning Bike a wide band O2 sensor, can support one per cylinder if required. Much faster fuel map adaption.
    Quickshifter, this is the foot end hardware that connects straight to the RB Racing, they use a rebadged Cordona unit, standard Cordona ones work to. Others can be wired in.
    They have also just released a control module like a race dash, that includes traction control, but details are limited at the moment.

Hope that helps :)

12. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    Subscribing! I'm fitting four wide band o2 sensors to mine this Friday.

13. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    Before and after Rapid Bike racing dynos of a 100% stock 2003 VFR800, tuned using the 2 factory narrowband o2 sensors. Keep in mind that this is with no other mods, not even a slip on or air filter. The improvements should be much greater on modified bikes or in the case of tuning each cylinder independently with four o2 sensors. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

That is before and after at 100%, 23% and 13% throttle positions. On the 13% throttle you can see the dramatic breakdown of just fuel corrections alone and then the added benefit of tuning the ignition map on top of the fuel map.