Italy in december?

Discussion in 'Europe' started by nessus, Oct 19, 2014.

1. nessus

nessus New Member

Hi everybody!

Question: is there any sunny days in southern Italy in winter time. Probably is... :D
    But are you driving with bikes or cars? Or you just use a our summer (Finland) gear in your winter.

Anyone been with bikes in Italy in november/december?

Any information is useful.....

Nessus

2. Mohawk

Mohawk New Member

3. JacksonAces

JacksonAces New Member

I'm in Northern Italy, in the Alps, and I still ride in December.

But then, I'm insane. So, yeah. YMMV

~Jack

4. skimad4x4

skimad4x4 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

France
    Map
    Yes there are often some sunny days over the winter months but the big problem is that the weather does not follow any specific pattern so things may be great one year and the next it can be dire. Certainly anywhere near the alps if you set out on a fine sunny day it may not remain fine or sunny for the whole ride.

At lower altitudes roads can be perfectly fine for much of the same period - so places like Annecy, Lyon and Geneva tend to be fine - but even they get their share of heavy snow falling at anytime over winter, and once it falls it may last for several days before it clears. This website has some great pictures showing what conditions were like beside lac leman last winter.. Conditions higher up were a lot harsher.

http://www.alistairscott.com/icecar/

Whilst the nearby main roads were heavily salted and consequently cleared very quickly, snow was stacked up everywhere, and temperatures remained bitter for several months and many of those vehicles remained entombed in ice for months. Basically similar conditions can apply on the Italian side of the Alps - especially around Aosta, where conditions can change very rapidly. There are a few hard core folks around here who are happy to head out on trail bikes with studded tyres during winter, but most sane people switch to 4 wheels for a very good reason - its warm!

SkiMad

5. nessus

nessus New Member

Thanks,

and Jack, we are grazy as well.

Idea is: rent a house near of Bari(it still open), bikes in trailer and start in 17.12 from Helsinki. 2,5 weeks with driving to Italy and back. When its seemsnits rideble we ride and girls gonna ride a car. If not, there lots of other things to do and look.

Sothern Italy + 16 C is like our summer time....:D It is like +17/+18 C average in middle of summer here. In all riding session (5-6 months, depends...) its more like 10-12 C. Im seen here snow as well in May/June.

Other place was Spain, but weather is similar there. We think in Italy we have more things to look or do if whether is bad.... I know guys who ride in Spain in december and january.

Proper gear, grip heaters and Viffer...... I think we gonna be all right.