Waterproof gloves

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by zombie, Oct 20, 2014.

1. zombie

zombie New Member

Canada
    last year I bought some waterproof gloves. Icon patrol gloves to be exact.
    They are padded and warmish down to just above freezing and worked as expected until I started to ride in actual rain, more than just a shower. Seems that after about 25 - 30 mins they start to no longer be waterproof. I've tried waterproofing sprays but are there any other options that work?
    My jacket and riding pants are not as waterproof as they claim to be either and I can live with that, it just really sucks riding with wet hands. Especially when its near freezing.
    I'm trying to get as much riding in as I can before the snow flies but my daily 160 Km commute is no fun with wet hands.

2. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    Do your gloves have gauntlets?

This may sound backwards but someone a few years ago gave this heads up. Pull the sleeves of you jacket over top of the gauntlets and tuck them up your sleeve. Otherwise water runs down your arms right into the gloves because the gauntlet acts like a funnel. Once I started doing this, my hands stayed very dry in both my Teknic and Alpinestar gloves. I have ridden in an abnormally high amount of rain out here on our wet coast. Even stayed dry riding from Vancouver, two days down to NorCal.

3. zombie

zombie New Member

Canada
    You might be on to something there as I did notice water on the inside of my wrists that I thought may have traveled downstream from my arms. Ive got them drying on a radiator at the moment and will try that on the way home. It may help but I think it is more than that.

4. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    I was was quite surprised as well at hpe effective tucking in was.

5. Big_Jim59

Big_Jim59 Member

United States
    Map
    I remembered your advice (I think you posted this somewhere before) and I did as you advised. I tucked my gauntlets inside the sleeves of my rain suit and I stayed dry. My gloves were just a bit damp but I think I need a better brand of rain proof riding gloves.

6. zombie

zombie New Member

Canada
    You guys seem convinced, I'm going to try it on the way home tonight, I'll be the guy with his jacket tucked into his underpants.... Might help too...

7. jerritt

jerritt New Member

Canada
    Map
    I found that gore tex is good for about an hour then it starts to soak through ( I am a mailman and the rain gear the post office only give us keeps me dry for an hour) as well my gore tex joe rocket gloves don't last that long in a steady rain on the highway so I bought these gloves from rainoff and they work great they fit over any gloves you have and keep your hands dry you can check them out here http://www.rain-off.com/

8. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    There are industrial gloves that are almost everything proof. Not very warm or a fashonistas first choice. Some choice of color.

Large enough and they might fit over some of the gloves that are designed by the dudes that are into Transformers.

9. grabcon

grabcon New Member

United States
    Map
    Not that I want to try this but I will the next time I get caught in the rain. Interesting concept, never thought about it that way.

One other note on Water Proof vs. Water Resistant. Huge difference Water Resistant will bleed water after a bit of being wet. Very common to see this label on camping gear and inclement weather gear.

10. zombie

zombie New Member

Canada
    I just got home after riding for about an hour and a half, mostly at highway speeds in medium to heavy rain. I am pleasantly surprised to tell you all that my hands are dry! It was a pain to tuck the gloves into the sleeves but worth it as my hands are dry!
    Thanks for the suggestion Randy. This will make the commute tomorrow much more pleasant.

11. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    Really happy it worked for you. Believe me, the task becomes easier with practice. A cheap rubber backed nylon 2 piece rain suit (usually about $120,00) also goes a very long way to keeping your dry and warm. There are several out there. I have no,....hear me NO confidence in gortex or any other so called Water proof riding gear otherwise. I think I have tried most of them. The only thing that kept me dry was the cheap rain suit. It will also keep you a lot warmer by trapping in your body heat and preventing any outside air seeping through the seams of your gear, especially if you are travelling on the highway.

12. zombie

zombie New Member

Canada
    The type that you get in a bike shop or the type that you can pick up at CDN Tire?

13. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    The motorcycle specific stuff such as this: http://www.gearscanada.com/motorcycle/rain-wear/dri-tek-two-piece-rain-suit.html

Though I have not specifically tried this one, I have tried a couple (2 I think) and they work great. But get the two piece not the one piece which would be a royal pain to get on over your gear. You want to look for a larger collar around the neck, one that is felt or flanel lined and fastened with a longish Velcro strap so you can custom fit it to your neck.

Canadian tire is a place to buy car wash liquid.

14. thx1138

thx1138 New Member

Australia
    Map
  15. ddavidson

ddavidson New Member

Canada
    Map
    Rev'It H2O gloves are warm and waterproof. Excellent

---David

16. RobVG

RobVG Member

Canada
    Map
  17. John451

John451 Member

Australia
    Gore-tex gloves, love my sporting wet gloves like my Alpinestars GTX Tech road gore tex gloves, thin tubed to fit under the jacket sleaves, perfect feel, good comfort from 48f to 80f. Have thicker Rukka Tellus Thermo Goretex brilliant for temps under 48f but a bit thicker so less feel than the Alpinestars.

With goretex gloves, jacket and boots have riden in 6hours and more of continual pouring rain with zero soak through.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2014
  18. fatshoutybloke

fatshoutybloke New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Gore-Tex fan here too, I have had a couple of pairs from Held in Germany and Halvarssons in Sweden for a number of years and they have never leaked. I prefer Held because their left forefinger visor wiper works better than any other I've tried. Not cheap though. As above I always zip jacket sleeves over them, and re-proof them once or twice a winter.

19. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    E Plurbus Unum.. Gloves are sort of like most bike stuff we need/use. Soft luggage for bikes is a good one too. For bikes lots of pesos. Same stuff not for bikes and a couple of bucks worth of webbing, Velcro and hardware from a loft shop will save ya some.

Tons of glove choices out there too, unless fashion dictates. This does not include my Helds.

Checkitoot!

http://www.magidglove.com/store/work-gloves/waterproof-gloves-chemical-resistant/

20. GreyVF750F

GreyVF750F Member

United States
    Map
    I just go to depot/lowes and get several pairs of the thin translucent green nitrile/latex gloves in large and use them over my leather gloves. Cuts the wind, keeps the water out and hands warm. I have a pair under my seat also. Find them in the paint dept.