Coolant Question (possible issue)

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by meymetkaplan, Oct 22, 2014.

1. meymetkaplan

meymetkaplan New Member

Hello from Turkey ^^
    at the first, sorry for my limited English. :(

I have a VFR800Abs, 2005 model, red, really hot :p

the motorcycle dropped to left side (talking about water supply tank side) in two weeks ago. thaan in almost 3 days later, the motorcycle shows heat is 115-120 degree. and i checked the supply tank, it was empty. I filled but heat is really high compared to the past (before crash). than i called honda service and they said "bring to us and we can check". they checked, radiator is moved in when the motorcycled dropped. they fixed the left radiator, they filled the tanks with water and antifreeze (again), cleaned the air filter, changed the heat sensor and they said "okey, you can take"

i toke my motorcycle in today, i ride 20kmh but it's seems still high for me. Weather was 19-20 degree, my speed's avg was 70-80 but heat sensor says '110-115' and fan is working hardly.

Is that normal or I am overdo?

2. Pliskin

Pliskin New Member

United States
    Map
    110 Celcius is too hot.

Fan should come on at 105 Celsius and stay on until about 99.

Is the "water tank" holding fluid?

Or is it leaking somewhere?

There is a method to getting all the air out of the system. We call it "burp the system", but I don't know how that will translate.

3. bitterpil

bitterpil New Member

United States
    Map
    First .... Thanks for posting from Turkey :) your English was good.

Make sure you are holding water/coolant in the tank and that you didn't lose some out of the system and or may have air in the system. You may have to let it cool and pull the radiator system cap. You can always run with farings off and look for drips, leaks and or pinched tubes etc.

Good luck keep us posted

4. meymetkaplan

meymetkaplan New Member

I called the service and they said "in our opinion, 110 degree is normal for us but we will talk with main honda service in Istanbul and back to you"

I will inform to you, thanks.

5. derstuka

derstuka Lord of the Wankers Staff Member

Map
    Well, 110 celsius (about 230F) is not obscene for hot hot days....especially in traffic. However, 115C is getting toasty...your fan should be on cooling things down.

So, you are saying that your fan was working hard (as in it keeps running) or it was hardly running (barely on at all)?

As another member suggested, you may have air in the system. When the cooling system loses air and gets re-filled there is sometimes trapped air underneath the fan stat switch (left radiator). Removing the radiator cap and revving the throttle abrubtly several times can sometimes clear this out. Sometimes on my bike that was not enough. I had to slightly loosen the fitting for the fan stat switch was the warmed up. That always did the trick. Just watch for hot coolant spraying out. I would put a rag over the fitting as I loosened it. Make sure you are not leaking coolant (fluid) as you bike is running. If your overflow tank (water supply side) keep getting emptied something is wrong. You should always have the minimum amount of coolant in this tank or else you bike may be sucking in air as it gets really hot and pulls coolant out.

My guess is you just have some trapped air in your system, or a bad fan stat switch.

By the way, welcome to VFRWorld! Post up in the introductions column when you can.

http://vfrworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php/53-Introductions

Cheers!

6. bitterpil

bitterpil New Member

United States
    Map
    Like Derstuka mentioned above, 110c or 230f is not too too hot but your fan should be on and the temp should drop. The fan should come on the 105c/220s F and cut off after the temp drops below 101c/215 F or so degrees.
    Try the items mentioned in the post above. Hope Honda Service is helpful.

As mentioned above introduce yourself and get your big VFRworld welcome.

7. meymetkaplan

meymetkaplan New Member

Thanks for your replies.

Before the crash, it will be never 110c. as you say, fan is working when temp is 105-106 and then working until 99c-100c. also in traffic and really hot day. (maybe you know Antalya in Turkey. the city is like hell in summer days ^^)

I am still waiting ansver from local Honda service. I hope they will find a solution. If they didn't, i will call Honda U.S. service.

I have no idea technical things for motorcycles. I am clumsy :)
    I will update again.

8. Antics72

Antics72 New Member

Maymetkaplan

You need to check for leaks, make sure you check if the coolant is overflowing and coming out of the drain line under the centre of the bike, near the side stand.

If it is overflowing from the drain line, this is a fair indication that the cooling system has an air leak. This can be particularly dangerous, because it will be overflowing onto your back tyre, if you are riding. This has happened to me, almost causing a nasty accident in traffic. My bike was sitting around 110c when this would happen also.

I fixed the small air leak, and that fixed the problem. Now temps are in low 80c while traveling above 80km/hr, and cycles around 95-105c in traffic conditions. I say this because I am assuming that the weather here, Queensland Australia, can be similar to yours.

Good luck mate. Cheers
    Ant.

9. meymetkaplan

meymetkaplan New Member

Greetings from Turkey in sunnyyy day! ^^

in finally, i get my animal :p Honda Service is changed termostat and 2 sensors (i don't know what are they). I tried in last night, the high temp is 80c. I will try in tomorrow in traffic and i will see what is going on.

Thanks for your replies.

-i need to learn technicial details of my VFR :(-

10. Pliskin

Pliskin New Member

United States
    Map
    Good luck. Hope that fixes it! Let us know.

11. Knight

Knight New Member

United States
    Map
    Meymetkaplan, we are all learning the technical details of our vehicles. Do not think that you are alone!

I was in Ephesus in the 1980's. Lots of pure blue sky, sunny days there. Sure beats Ohio.

12. meymetkaplan

meymetkaplan New Member

It seems fixed! But i have a concern about that. Fan is working and temp is low (max 105) but fan is working always. For example, in the morning, when temp is 105, fan is works but fan will work never stop (in my view) and then i closed the engine and started again, fan will close. Is that normal?

13. bitterpil

bitterpil New Member

United States
    Map
    Not normal. They left something out or they wired the fan to run all the time not normal. The fan should only come on around 105 and off at 101.

I am assuming that you are saying that once the fan comes on, it never stops until you turn off the engine. Or that the fan is always running. Eire way not normal.

14. Knight

Knight New Member

United States
    Map
    I do not quite understand your post. The fan will always be on at 105°C. Are you saying when the temperature is 160° the fan is on too? Also what is the outside temperature in the morning, and in the afternoon where you live?

15. meymetkaplan

meymetkaplan New Member

So, i will call to service on Monday :(

@Knight, sorry for my english. I am never said "temp is 160", there is misunderstanding. Maybe you should read again, i don't understand :)

16. Knight

Knight New Member

United States
    Map
    When reading your post, I took it to mean that the fan is always on when the temperature is 105°. (It will be on at that temperature.) Are you instead saying that the fan is always on, no matter what temperature? (I was using 160° as an example only.)

17. meymetkaplan

meymetkaplan New Member

weather: 16-20c.
    Fan is not working always. When temp is 103-105, fan will works. and i am waiting to 90c, it still works.

18. bitterpil

bitterpil New Member

United States
    Map
    I'm trying to understand what you are saying.

The fan comes on at 103-105c but even after it should have turned off at 100c it is still on even down to 90c???. Does it ever shut off after it comes on?

19. meymetkaplan

meymetkaplan New Member

@bitterpil, yes!

in normally, fan is work until to 99. but in now, it always works even temp is 90.

20. bitterpil

bitterpil New Member

United States
    Map
    Strange.. Just run by there and make sure everything is OK