Got a new riding buddy.

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by RobVG, Oct 22, 2014.

1. RobVG

RobVG Member

Canada
    Map
    I’ve know Brian for over 20 years. He sells me hydraulic parts for our heavy equipment. I always chat with him when I come into the store. He’s been riding his GSXR 750 to work just about every clear day (and some shitty ones). I told him about my 700 Viffer (or maybe “Viff” since it’s a 84?).

Awhile ago he asked me how it was coming along and I told him I’d show him soon. It wasn't long after that I needed a part and took the 700 from work to go get it. He thought it was cool and we decided we needed to go for a ride together. But I had to explain to the boss why I was riding my bike at work in the middle of the day.

We decided to meet last Sunday at the park-n-ride in Snohomish. I got there about 10 minutes early and took the helmet off and soaked up some rare October sun. I see some guy coming along on a dirt bike and surprisingly enough, it was Brian. He rolled in on a CRF 450. It takes him less than an hour to make the conversion. I was a little disappointed he wasn't on the Suzuki .

We BS’d about the bikes for awhile and then planed a tentative route. I was to take the lead because I wanted to show him a few roads he didn't know. Right off the bat I get a cramp in my leg and have to stand up several times driving through town. On way out of town I took a corner a little too fast and ended up half way in the other lane. Not a good first impression I thought.

Well, I toned things down and we road 10 miles of dry curvy back roads. I waved Brain ahead in case he wanted to get on it, and get on it he did. I didn't even try to keep up.

We road on to Duvall and he showed me the Cherry Valley loop. I hadn't ridden it before but definitely will again. We stopped to stretch our legs and got to know each other a little better as Harleys, Spyders and other sport bikes buzzed by.

Brian hadn’t done the Ben Howard road before so off we went down Hwy 203. We had agreed ahead of time we wouldn't be passing but some asshole in a Camry chose to do the speed limit. Brian went around first and I dropped a gear or two and followed. I kept going, seeing the redline in 4th for the first time on the 700. Another shift and several hundred feet, I’m pretty sure I’m in triple digits (I didn't look). I dialed it down and Brian passed me with his fist in the air. It reminded me of my youth. I guess it’s still in there somewhere.

The last leg of the journey took us down Woods Creek Road. I knew it well because it’s how I get home from Monroe. On most of it, you can see a good ways around the corners and they aren't particularly tight. I figured I’d open up a little room between Brian and me and started to flog the Interceptor almost to the best of my abilities. A few glances in the mirrors and I’m surprised to see him staying about 100 feet behind. Son of bitch. Not him, just an expletive.

We came to the end of our trip at Lake Stevens , parked and talked about the day’s events. He notice my leg cramp and my first botched turn. Thankfully we both got a laugh out of it. Off he went out to Jordan road, taking the long way home to Marysville.

It was evident right away that Brian is the better rider. The good thing is, we’ll be riding again. Next time I hope he takes the Gixxer. My only excuse this day was his CRF was 250 pounds lighter and only 30 hp less.

Until next time…

2. metallyguitarded

metallyguitarded New Member

Map
    Really enjoyed reading that. Sounds like a great time. Well done!

3. derstuka

derstuka Lord of the Wankers Staff Member

Map
    Excellent story, and it almost brought a tear to my eye.

Just one question, does your wife like bacon in the morning? Figured ole sexy Joe Rogan could keep her company while you are out playin'. :lol: I KEED KEEED

4. RobVG

RobVG Member

Canada
    Map
    She's more of a sausage gal but if all you have is bacon.....

5. mofo

mofo New Member

United States
    Map
    LMAO. http://instantrimshot.com/
    Enjoyed reading the report.

6. RobVG

RobVG Member

Canada
    Map
  7. Knight

Knight New Member

United States
    Map

I do not! The issue is power to weight ratio and not "who has the biggest engine." Plus the guy on the 450, what fear does he have? NONE. However, one scrape and you are looking at a $500 fairing. Meanwhile he is ready to jump the grand canyon. I probably would have passed out from the fear of this guy chasing me.

8. RobVG

RobVG Member

Canada
    Map
    Thanks for the vote of confidence Knight. I felt a little better after seeing that video.

But the humble pie made me look at my own current limitations. That's a good thing.