vf1000f basket case... help!

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by jack737, Oct 23, 2014.

1. jack737

jack737 New Member

Canada
    Map
    Trying to assemble a 1985 vf1000f that I bought for $400 ( which is about $300 more than it's worth) The problem is the PO took everything except the engine apart and didn't label anything! Everything is mixed up, not sure if all the fasteners are here. What I'm hoping is some one out there who has one of these could send me some detailed pics of the assembled bike, it would be a lot easier than trying to decipher the parts diagrams.
    Bike sat for 9 years, it has 49,000 km on it. Some pitting on the cams, no oil mod done. Thanks!

parts.jpg

2. derstuka

derstuka Lord of the Wankers Staff Member

Map
    Dang jack, you have gots yourself in a bloody mess now lad! We have several VF1000 experts on here, but their name escapes me at the moment. Jamiedaugherty, and/or hobit1 might be able to help.

BTW, welcome to the forum. Please introduce yourself in the introductions column when you get a chance. :love:

http://vfrworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php/53-Introductions

3. rjgti

rjgti New Member

wow that is a mess to deal with:lemo:

4. bikerinneb

bikerinneb New Member

United States
    Map
    Here are some pics during my 84 build. Hope something here helps. You should get this thread going in the 1st gen forum too. 078.jpg 079.jpg 080.jpg 081.jpg 083.jpg

5. bikerinneb

bikerinneb New Member

United States
    Map
    Some more. 085.jpg 088.jpg 095.jpg 112.jpg 011.jpg

6. jack737

jack737 New Member

Canada
    Map
    Yes!!!!! That's what I'm looking for! Thanks, those are great. Just want to make sure I use the right hardware in the right place and put things together in the right order. I have the frame painted, the wheels are on, brake calipers, forks and carbs are rebuilt. I'm glad the previous owner couldn't get the carbs off the bike, he only did some minor damage to them before he gave up.
    I know this bike isn't worth a whole lot but I always like the look of them. Remember them being raced at the local track in superbike class. Too bad they have such a bad reputation.

7. bikerinneb

bikerinneb New Member

United States
    Map
    Glad the pics can help you. There are a lot of really knowledgeable guys on the 1st gen forum, they have helped me a lot. Now if I can just get myself to pull the top end back apart to find my ticking noise.
    I agree, they are a great looking bike. Too bad they didn't take off here as they did across the pond.

8. GreyVF750F

GreyVF750F Member

United States
    Map
    You can go to any site that sells OEM parts and look at the micro fiche to see what parts go were. Plus get FSM which has pictures and diagrams of the different systems of the bike as well as the parts catalog. I found one on line for the 1000 but don't have the link. Google will help there. Here's a wiring diagram location: http://www.carlsalter.com/honda-service-manuals.asp

The VF750F manual should help for a lot also. The 1000 just a bigger 750 for the most part.

9. VF1000Fe

VF1000Fe New Member

Canada
    V1000Fe = VF1000Ff

http://www.partzilla.com/parts/search/Honda/Motorcycle/1984/VF1000F+A/parts.html

The 84 & 85 are identical, cept for a few minor differences that don't matter (different carb numbers, 84 = Glass fuses, 85 = Blade fuses,,..)
    This site will show you where everything goes (though not the order) and will give you the nut/bolt/screw/washer sizes.
    You will be depressed at all the parts no longer available.
    Use AntiSieze Compound on all threads, quite damp where you live,,..
    Good Luck

10. jack737

jack737 New Member

Canada
    Map
    Thanks again, I downloaded the Honda Manual and I have a Haynes manual, the black and white pics don't offer much detail like a colour photo. Sometimes it's obvious which hardware to use but other times not. Like the specialized fasteners in the picture. Couple of the shock linkage bolts were missing so had to substitute some aircraft hardware. At least I'm making some headway on the assembly, I'll start on the engine soon, have to decide on what to do with the cams. Colt Cams wants $370 to resurface them, not sure about the condition of the rockers yet.
    Yes, I put anti seize on anything hot or prone to corrosion and loctite on anything that could vibrate loose.

IMG_3408.jpg IMG_3409.jpg IMG_3413.jpg

11. vfrcapn

vfrcapn Member

United States
    Map
    Looks good so far. I'd be sure you've got everything, where's the exhaust btw?, because it sucks getting to the end of one of these and finding the motor's case has a hairline, unfixable crack in it!

And on that note if you need any specific pics of a basket case 1KF build-up, PM me, I think I've got quite a few pics.

12. GreyVF750F

GreyVF750F Member

United States
    Map
    Some of those small bolts with the shank on them are for body panels where the fastener is covered up by another panel or what ever.

13. VF1000Fe

VF1000Fe New Member

Canada
    Nuts (& Bolts)

If you group similar bolts together on paper and write a number under each group, we can tell you where they go.
    I know exactly where most of those go.
    Other considerations:
    Replace the Steering Stem Ball Bearings with Taper'd Roller Bearings (much better).
    Replace stock rear Shock with one from Jamie Dougherty, very much better.
    Install Radiator Fan Manual Switch on dash.

14. jack737

jack737 New Member

Canada
    Map
    Hmmm, install fan switch, sure. Install roller bearings, Ok fairly cheap fix. Install $355 shock on $400 bike, probably not going to happen. Think I'm already going to blow the budget fixing the cam problem.

15. bikerinneb

bikerinneb New Member

United States
    Map
    $355 shock is worth it. If you continue with the build, you will probably blow through the budget, just as the rest of us have. Looks like you have a very good start there, hoping it comes along nicely for you.