5th Gen running rough

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by bikehikeflyCO, Oct 24, 2014.

1. bikehikeflyCO

bikehikeflyCO New Member

Map
    I recently purchased a 2000 VFR and have noticed that it seems to be running a bit rough and that it is also running somewhat rich. I have replace the R/R, have put seafoam in the tank and MMO in the crank case, all of which did not help. Also when I got the bike I replaced the plugs as the bike had 22k miles on it; they seemed a bit fouled up, but I just figured that was due to age. I was going to look towards O2 sensors next, but figured I would check here as well. Any thoughts or suggestions?

2. Pliskin

Pliskin New Member

United States
    Map
    Fuel Filter?

Check the air filter? Rodents love to build nests on top of them.

Does it have a Power Commander on it?

Is it rough only at idle, or across the RPM range?

3. Y2Kviffer

Y2Kviffer Insider

United States
    Map
    How many miles since you add Seafoam? And as Pliskin said "Is it rough only at idle, or across the RPM range?"

4. bikehikeflyCO

bikehikeflyCO New Member

Map
    Air filter is clean of an nests and it looking clean. I do not believe that there is a power commander on it. If it did, where would it be located? It is rough from idle up until 4000k or so that I can feel. It sones like it might be misfiring.

5. bikehikeflyCO

bikehikeflyCO New Member

Map
    It has been about 200 miles since seafoam and MMO. It is rough from idle to about 4000k or do that I can feel.

6. Knight

Knight New Member

United States
    Map
    Run it in the dark and look for sparks along the wiring harness which would indicate a short. If you see a spark you are golden because you know the problem. If no spark that does not necessarily mean the harness is good.

Many times the power commander will see just beneath the seat, where tools would normally go. The cable runs to the fuel rail.

Maybe you already tested this with the R/R replacement: Check the voltage at idle and a few thousand RPM. Since it sounds like a misfire, and even with very low output the bike can run smoothly off the battery essentially, I do not think voltage is the problem. But you should know exactly the voltage it is putting out anyway.

7. bikehikeflyCO

bikehikeflyCO New Member

Map
    I will check for sparks; if this is the case, would the VFRness be in store or would there need to be a major reharnessing of the bike? I did check the voltage and everything seemed to be where it needed to be. I am not sure of the age of the battery, should I consider that in my thought process?

I only see a tool kit when I am looking under the seat, so I am assuming that I do not have a power commander.

8. Y2Kviffer

Y2Kviffer Insider

United States
    Map
    Did it run the same with the old spark plugs? Did you lift the fuel tank when you changed the plugs? If so make sure all the vacuum hoses are connected.

9. bikehikeflyCO

bikehikeflyCO New Member

Map
    It did run the same with the old plugs and when I removed them, they seemed pretty fouled up. There were also Autolite brand instead of NGK. They were replaced with factory NGK plugs from the stealership. I did not check for loose vacuum hoses, but I will check that out next time I am able to get under the tank.

10. Y2Kviffer

Y2Kviffer Insider

United States
    Map
    As was said check battery voltage idling and at a few rev ranges. If voltage is too low to the plugs you get weak spark. How old is the battery? When my last battery went bad it would start the bike but anytime I came to a stop it would die.

11. Knight

Knight New Member

United States
    Map
    Your battery has specs just like the charging system. Specs will show something like
    12.75 V full
    12.50 at 75%
    12.25 at 50%
    etc.
    This is from memory and may be wrong so check for your specific battery. After the bike has sat for 24 hours not charging, the battery is in "steady state." Check the voltage then.

Yes this is important because if you run the bike consistently with a nearly dead battery, that can tax the charging system and potentially harm it. The bike, unlike a car, is very sensitive to maintaining its voltage levels. It is always at a very fine balance when working well.

I am not sure how people handle battery tests (chime in?) as a 2 position/decimal voltmeter is expensive. Do many of you have quality multimeters? I have the $10 Harbor Freight special given to me by a relative. It's 1 decimal position.

Harness - There may have been recalls on the harness. I have been meaning to check this new web site as the owner of my bike gave me no records whatsoever. Plug your VIN in here. It says "car" but it does include motorcycles.
    https://vinrcl.safercar.gov/vin/

I have not replaced a harness so I leave your repair questions to the experts here.

12. Pliskin

Pliskin New Member

United States
    Map
    Knight - I'm not aware of any harness recalls on our 5th Gens (98-2001). 2002 to 2005 did have a recall though.

13. Knight

Knight New Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks for the correction!

14. Pliskin

Pliskin New Member

United States
    Map
    Your welcome...but not a correction, just an observation!

15. bikehikeflyCO

bikehikeflyCO New Member

Map
    I will check the voltage again and see if it is sitting where it was before. When I looked at it the first time, everything was where it should be. I am guessing that battery is atleast a few years old. I would check but the bike is off in my parents garage.