2003 VFR800 left side cowl mounting points

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by brucevfr, Oct 24, 2014.

1. brucevfr

brucevfr New Member

Hi all, I picked up a dumped 03 with no plastics. Since purchased new OEM cowlings. When trying to install the left side, I can't seem to find where the rearmost fairing screw attaches. This is the one underneath/behind the side stand. I mock up the panel, install the other fasteners and there appears to be nothing on the frame etc that lines up with the rear screw. Parts fiche just shows the screw. My fear is its a cast threaded piece that is gone (broken off). Any thoughts? Pics would be nice. TIA, Bruce

2. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    Fairing bolt screws into end of center stand shaft.
    [​IMG]

3. brucevfr

brucevfr New Member

Thanks for that Allyance. It appears the PO replaced that OEM bolt on my bike with a regular one. hence no threaded head to accept the fairing screw. Thanks again.

4. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    I went out and looked again, an it appears to be a special nut about 3/4" long that has threads in one end for fairing bolt, dealer should be able to order.
    [​IMG]
    The one arrow is pointing to.

5. brucevfr

brucevfr New Member

Hmmm isn't part 16 the bolt that pivots centre stand and receives the fairing screw? But if it is the nut you suggest in the above post I'm having trouble finding it in the fiche. Your pic is from a service manual, correct?

Attached Files:

6. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    Your diagram is better, I guess it is a bolt! My mistake, anyway, that is the culprit. Hard to tell when everything is black and greasy. Dealer should be able to get one.

7. brucevfr

brucevfr New Member

I appreciate the info just the same Allyance. I wouldn't have know where to look.
    Maybe you could help with another query? How (and where) does the bigger vent hose ( I think its a vent) from the underside of the tank route to get to the gathering clip at the base of the motor? On this 03 rescue bike, it starts at the metal pipe on the right side of the tank, curves around the airbox, then pops out to the left side exterior (but behind the plastic), snakes its way across the front of the motor to finally end up just barely reaching the clip where it should meet up with the coolant overflow hose and the fuel overflow hose (the skinny hose from the underside of the fuel tank). This seems like a long way to go and as mentioned it barely reaches the clip. I think its mis-routed. Also if its to cross the front of the engine is there a bracket or something, mine literally rests on the header pipes. Any thoughts? (or again, pics?)

8. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    I will look tomorrow and see what gives, I was going to take sides off to check levels any way. I will take pictures.