my 03 vfr project

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by brucevfr, Oct 24, 2014.

1. brucevfr

brucevfr New Member

project vfr.jpg
    This is how I got it. Not so much a project, more of a rescue. PO's beat it. Got cruddy Chinese plastic (trash bin fodder), rash, etc. Runs strong (not surprising, its a VFR). Did have a brand new chain and sprockets. VIN tells me it should be red, and red it will be again. Only thing of substance I've bought new were the side fairings. Sourced out quality upper fairing, and tail piece, and fuel tank. Fixed most of the bent stays and such. Even ground and buffed out the rash on the bar end weight. Serviced oil and brakes (bled and new shoes), and forks (seals and fluid) then repainted the fork lowers. Adjusted steering head bearings. Rigged right headlamp (good ol' nylon zip ties and hidden), but will replace eventually. Went from front to back checking and retorqueing most bolts. Took off frame sliders and put back OEM bolts. All in all, a lot of fun and elbow grease. Not my first VFR. Had a 93 'Refrigerator' and a 96 750. Like the bike enough to pick this one up for myself and also for my stepson to ride when I take another bike. He's 17 and now graduating from the CBR125R. I'll post the finished bike soon.
    this forum has been excellent for a lot of intel regarding fit, fitment and placement of stuff.

2. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    welcome aboard, I got a "frig" and a black/blue 92. I love these bikes, I would do a FI bike I guess, fool injection is kinda neat, there are just too many sensors and chit to further confound your mellon and your wallet. :loco:

Happy safe riding, your riding season is ending though.

3. brucevfr

brucevfr New Member

And its finished. pretty much. Many thanks to Randy and Allyance for some needed intel and to VFRWorld membership and forum in general. This pic taken yesterday. Not bad weather for Alberta Canada in November. Its cold but dry. That means we can ride.

Attached Files:

4. BWeiss

BWeiss Johnny Partseed

United States
    Map
    wow...that was fast. Looks good, now go ride the snot out of it!

5. brucevfr

brucevfr New Member

Thanks. I should clarify I purchased the project on Sept 13, so about 7 weeks to repair bits, source out parts, install bits, and a lot of waiting for shipping.

6. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    Looks great, not only do we have same bike/yr, but the same SUV, same color. My 03 is silver, probably because is was US bike.