Deus Ex Machina

Discussion in 'Trips & Events' started by metallyguitarded, Oct 24, 2014.

1. metallyguitarded

metallyguitarded New Member

Map
    I came across a video of this café/surfshop/custom bike shop on YouTube called Deus Ex Machina. It's in Venice Beach which is about 130 miles from San Diego. I had the day off, the wife was at work, so I decided to ride up the coast and check it out.

It was a beautiful day and the traffic was light. Well, relatively light for Los Angeles. The ocean was a brilliant blue and the air was a pleasant 79 degrees. The CB rode like a champ. The new grips get an A+. One stop in Huntington Beach to fill up then on to Deus which is on the corner of Venice and Lincoln.

There were a couple old Harley bobbers, a Triumph Bonneville, a Kawasaki W650, and a few custom Deus motorcycles in the parking lot out back. I pulled in, enjoyed a sandwich and a latte, then browsed through the place.

The café has outdoor seating as well as some tables inside where people were busy on their computers doing whatever it is that those people on their laptops do in cafes. From there, the place flows into a surf shop of sorts with boards lining one wall but with motorcycle art/prints on all the walls. Just past the surfboards is the clothing which includes some retro styled motorcycle gloves, jackets and boots. I picked up a t-shirt to bring home with me.

There were a few custom motorcycles throughout the place. All reminiscent of the early days of riding. The whole place had a cool but unpretentious vibe to it. It didn't seem to be a hipster hangout but even if it were, I have no problem with hipsters. I just can't fit into the skinny jeans they wear.

The ride home wasn't as fun. Traffic was bad. The three hour ride home would have been closer to four if it wasn't for lane splitting! All in all, it was a good day. Five and a half hours on the CB. She's breaking in nicely.

Here's a link to the YouTube video that turned me on to this place: http://youtu.be/x7sUnXhNASM

Oh, "Deus ex machina" is latin for "God from the machine." I like it.

Looking forward to Slaters tomorrow and spending some quality time on the VFR and with my VFRW brothers and sisters!

2. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    Thanks for sharing
    However..................:worthless:
    :pound:

3. metallyguitarded

Map
    Haha! I knew someone was going to demand pics. Unfortunately, it just felt weird taking them inside the place with so many people around. I was hoping a link to the YouTube video would almost make up for it. Guess not.

See you soon Long. I'm drinking my coffee, checking the air in my tires, then I'll be making my way north again!

4. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Nice, I might have to go get a first hand look for myself. Maybe visit my cousin who lives down in Venice. Better yet, meet him there for brunch. MG is the cafe very big, standing room only kind of place? Or is there enough seating for everyone?

BTW, it was great to see you today at Slater's, glad you made the trek even though you couldn't stay too long. Speaking of Long, he eventually showed up as well.

Cheers!

5. V4toTour

V4toTour New Member

United States
    haha, lol yeah.. sorry man. This has hipster written all over it. As soon as I saw the name of the Cafe I had a strong hunch BHBV (hilarious site btw) probably featured these guys, and they did. http://hipsterbikevideos.com/hey-man-were-just-a-company-thats-all-about/

These types of moto cafes are springing up all over the place. Nothing more than to shill overpriced useless merch. If you think I'm being overly critical just check their online shop. 100 bucks for a Helmet "tote" (WTF is a helmet tote you ask, apparently a safeway bag you can stuff your helmet in) 45 bucks for a key fob. Just check out the prices on their sweaters.

I mean really (this is supposedly moto gear):
    http://us.deuscustoms.com/moto/deus-darby-wipe-gloves
    vs
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/Firm-Gri...-Glove-with-Reinforced-Palm-5125-06/204297445

I guess home depot should open up a Motorcycle accesories aisle

"Without doubt the quality, premium materials and attention to detail of our gloves makes them a staple for any discerning rider." :lol: right.. or if you just want to pull weeds in the backyard in style

Last edited: Oct 25, 2014
  6. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    That is freaking cool -- custom classics to order. Love it!

7. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Fashonistas Ex Machina.

Me transmite sursum, Caledoni!

Caca

8. Badbilly

United States
    Damn dude, those Venusians love to be on camera. What we need is some Black's Beach pix.

9. Badbilly

United States

I agree. Not much beats a good old fashioned Harley leather bar. ;)

10. NormK

NormK New Member

What is this Dues Ex Machina there has been one in Sydney for years, never been there but you often see their bikes for sale on ebay etc, all I know is the prices are sky high, but people must buy them or they would go broke

11. V4toTour

V4toTour New Member

United States
    one of those "custom" cafe racer shops turned lifestyle companies. They find a 70's UJM, or british twin. Pull of the fenders, blinkers and other useful bits. Paint the tank, add an uncomfortable seat and then charge an extra 20 grand for their troubles. But honestly, the bikes are really just advertising to sell merch.

they don't need to sell any bikes. Their Cardigans and Lattes keep them affloat.

12. Badbilly

United States
  13. metallyguitarded

Map
    Yeah, I get it. They're overpriced. They've branded themselves with an image that the hipsters embrace. Still, I thought the place was pretty cool. I really enjoy those custom classics. I'm a sucker for videos showing people having fun on motorcycles with obscure, up beat, folk music playing in the background. Haha. Even that website that criticizes the place notes that the guy building their bikes is actually talented and they're not ripping on him. If people have the money and it makes them feel good to buy a $300 pair of gloves that are not much better than gardening gloves, more power to them.

There are plenty of motorcyclists who buy into an image, willingly paying more than necessary to satisfy some desire that others find ridiculous. The guy who buys the $600 Alpinestars jacket that offers no more protection than the $180 Bilt jacket is one example. It happens in all aspects of our lives - the clothes we choose to wear, the cars we drive, the places we eat. HD has made an empire built, in my opinion, largely on image. Still, I really like some of their bikes. I've never been in a café that caters to HD riders but if there was one close by, I'd check it out. Maybe have a latte and a sandwich there. And I'd laugh at the overpriced merchandise too. I say, good on HD for successfully marketing themselves. Good on Deus too. Maybe someone will start a VFR café where the coffee is free and the sweatshirts are affordable! When that happens, I'll visit there too!

14. metallyguitarded

Map
    The café is a decent size. In the uncovered, outside portion they have a couple of long bench tables that could fit a fair number of people. I bet everyone who was at Slater's would fit if we got both tables. There's more seating inside the place but if I remember correctly, it was something like four small tables. It could make for a fun stop along a PCH ride. Maybe an early coffee at Deus and a ride along the coast. A shot of all the VFRs at the Santa Monica pier would be pretty cool. Something to keep in mind for future meet ups.

15. metallyguitarded

Map
    You're probably right. I should have asked and they would have been glad to pose for me. The Black's Beach pics, on the other hand, are trickier to come by. I'll never forget being in high school and my older brother taking me to the hands down, best surf spot in San Diego. He explained how the swells come in, hit the edge of a deep underwater canyon which pitches the face of the waves up fast and steep. He told me I was guaranteed to get barreled or take a pounding or both. What he didn't tell me was that once we descended the crazy goat trail to get to the beach, we'd be greeted by small groups of nudists. Some playing volleyball. Some frolicking in the shore break. Some working on their full body tans. Most were not the Victoria Secret models my 16 year old mind had imagined would come running up to me and pleading with me to rub sunscreen on them. Most, in fact, were men. Still, there were a small handful of women whose nakedness left a lasting impression on me.

16. V4toTour

V4toTour New Member

United States
    The alpine stars and bilt comparison isn't really fair. Both those brands make actual motorcycle gear. Deus ex from what I can tell sells none, (except maybe the dainese gear they slapped their name on). They sell moto themed trinkets. A more accurate retail comparison is a museum or any tourist trap gift shop. Overpriced themed gifts.

Maybe these guys were one of the first, but the whole vintage cafe racer bike thing is being used to peddle anything these days. Even major retailers are using that angle to advertise. It's all the same regardless if they're selling jeans or a coffee press. Video of some guy grinding away at a bike in a shower of sparks in some dark garage, voice over faux interview regarding the lost art and soul of the motorcycle, random shot tearing something down on the side of the road, slow mo riding through forest, dark industrial city scape etc..and at the end you're invited to buy their 500 dollar beer cozy.

17. metallyguitarded

Map
    You're probably right for the most part. Although they do make custom motorcycles with some pretty cool styling. Which, in my view, makes them at least somewhat legit. As for the rest of it, welcome to America. Slap a logo on something you can buy for 1/10 the price somewhere else, market it right, and make a fortune. They're selling an image. No one goes to them thinking they're getting top end motorcycle gear. They did have leather jackets and helmets along with the rest of the clothing. I didn't check the prices but imagine they're outrageously high. They don't seem to be pretending to be anything other than what they are. A retro-inspired café with some cool motorcycles. I don't have a problem with that. I like the place. If you want to think of it as a museum, that's cool. Nothing wrong with a motorcycle museum that sells coffee and sandwiches. I take it you won't be joining us if we schedule a ride there. Haha.

Maybe I'm a fool or a simpleton or both, but I even enjoy the café racer inspired marketing that seems to annoy you. We're bombarded by ads daily. Why not throw some motorcycles into the mix? If in the end they want $500 for a pair of jeans, I'll just shake my head and put on my Levi's but I'll probably still smile at the shots of slow motion riding through the dark forest. And mention of the lost soul of motorcycling resonates with me so I appreciate the baritone voiced narrator talking about it. Not enough to make me buy a coffee press though!

18. V4toTour

V4toTour New Member

United States
    Yeah, I'd probably skip that trip lol. There's a few "moto" cafes out here as well. See sees and Fenders for example. However I dont think either sells the odd assortment of stuff like deus does. I see enough of the hipster moto thing in Portland anyway, but luckily they seem to stay confined to the city. I made the mistake of stopping by The One Show a few years ago. Oh my god.

Vintage bikes are cool though, but I'd suggest checking out something likea the LeMay Auto Museum's summer thing for example.

19. Badbilly

United States
    OMG!! The next thing we know Canada will have places just like Deus..