New VFR rider!

Discussion in 'New Riders' started by HarmG, Oct 28, 2014.

1. HarmG

HarmG New Member

Hi all
    I'm the proud owner of a VFR750 RC36-1. I bought the machine around may this year and I dropped it within a weak due to a lack of experience. There was some damage to the radiator, foot pegs and fairing. Everything was quickly repaired with secondhand parts. Except for the fairing because I cannot find any. So I have a great bike, not as beautiful as it used to be, and a hurt ego.
    The summer I did some small trips, around 1500 km in total, and I'm now much more comfortable with the bike. I also did some improvements like enabling both head lights and repairing the clock.
    This winter I plan to repair the fairing (with acetone and lego bricks), mount a phone/gps holder, a power socket and place heated handlebars. I also wish to have hard luggage cases, but I think soft luggage bags are more in my price range.
    With these improvements I hope to do some nice tours next year and give the bike some more kilometers.

By the way, I used to own a VF500F (1985) which I sold, but it made me fall in love with a V4. And I also own a CB550F (1978) of which I just ran the odometer full round (100.000km, of which I did 7000km)

Of course this post isn't complete without some pictures:

Attached Files:

2. Bryan88

Bryan88 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

South Africa
    Map
    Welcome. Does the both headlights mod make much of a difference? Been thinking about it as most of my winter riding takes place in the dark and riding on brights is often not an option.

3. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    :welcome: to the nuts house mate :wave:
    That is a nice 3rd gen you got :thumb:

4. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Welcome HarmG, good job on posting pics on your introductory post! Unfortunately with the older generations finding body panels is getting tougher, especially OEM panels. There are a few after market providers but doing a repair should work just as well, definitely cheaper and more rewarding.

I have been tempted to buy some body panels for my 5 Gen but decided to go the repair route. Havent looked into the acetone/Lego route but I did grab a plastic welding kit that I've used on a couple of cracks with good results. Good luck with your winter repairs.

Cheers!

5. stewartj239

stewartj239 Member

United States
    Map
    It happens and I bet a large majority of us have dropped our bikes at one point or another over the years. It sounds like you were uninjured, so that is the most important thing. The bike can be fixed. Over the years I have owned at least 3 different VF500Fs. It was my first bike and is what got me hooked on the V4. Welcome to the forum.