Cortech 2.0 18L tank bag has garbage magnets?

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by HRCCBR, Oct 29, 2014.

1. HRCCBR

HRCCBR New Member

United States
    Map
    I just got in a new Cortech Super 2.0 Magnetic 18L tank bag. Put it on the bike ('08 VFR) and I bet with 2 bottles of Coke (20oz mind you) and a small puff of wind the thing would fly off.

Anyone else have a similar experience? The magnets are absolute garbage on this thing. I suppose I will have to send it back now. :sour:

My Joe Rocket Manta XL has to be tugged off with 2 hands.

Anyone have any experience with the strap mount Cortech tank bags?

Anny other suggestions? I already have a GIVI 55L trunk but I wanted something that was bigger than my JR bag so I could take the trunk off when I wasn't commuting and still have enough room for "stuff"......

2. bougah

bougah New Member

I have one also. Agree the magnets seem weak. I use it to put my clothes in and the bag holds. There was one day though it was windy and the bag kinda tipped to one side which freaked me a bit on trying to hold it in place... If it's not windy, it's all good, otherwise, don't use it in big winds... Too late for me to return it though. Revzilla gave good reviews. Guess they hyped it a bit...

3. jswisc

jswisc New Member

I have a Givi tanklock setup. I have a ring on my VTR and my VFR. I just switch the bag. I really don't like magnet bags or straps. Nice solid mount. Been across the country in big cross winds and no worries.

4. HRCCBR

HRCCBR New Member

United States
    Map

I really expected more from Cortech. I saw videos on the bag and it looked like it was holding fine. Maybe I got a fluke but sending it back and going a different route.

Thanks for your input!

5. OOTV

OOTV Insider

+1 on the GIVI tank lock setup. I have this on both my VFRs and even have two different bags I can use. Not only is this an easy on/off system, it's also a no contact system (to the tank itself) so no worrying about scratching the tank.

6. HRCCBR

HRCCBR New Member

United States
    Map
    I do like the GIVI tanklocks and I already have a GIVI trunk but I simply can't justify the cost.

7. DaHose

DaHose New Member

United States
    Map
    Tanklocks are cool, but too pricey for me as well. The Bilt tank bag I bought at CG is great. Big capacity, strong magnets and great price.

Jose

8. iamzombie

iamzombie New Member

I have a nelson rigg 35l tankbag and it has very nice and strong magnets, almost too strong pretty much have to slide them off, lol. And they've got a nice microfiber-ish cloth backing so they can't scratch the paint (I assume this is a standard amongst all magnetic tank bags, but still)

http://www.nelsonrigg.com/store/product.aspx?pid=1672

9. OOTV

OOTV Insider

I got lucky and had coupons from Motorcycle Superstore when I bought my GIVI stuff and speaking of MCSS, they have a line of luggage called 'Moto-Centric' and they've been having deals on them recently. I bought a set of saddle bags that are roomy and worked great for my Yosemite trip, even held up pretty good in the rain, without the rain covers too. I believe they have tank bags, tail bags and saddle bags.

10. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    Cortech SUCK period, beside the magnet problem, the zipper is cheappo without lock.
    Look nice but no quality at all, just like Randy :rolleyes:

11. HRCCBR

HRCCBR New Member

United States
    Map
    I am actually looking at a Nelson Rigg model Cl-2020 possibly

12. HRCCBR

HRCCBR New Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks I will check them out as well!

13. HRCCBR

HRCCBR New Member

United States
    Map
    I had a Cortech tail bag on my CBR and it was great. This tank bag was crap however or at least the magnets were.

14. iamzombie

iamzombie New Member

[​IMG]

That's the one I got, now that I think about it, I think it's the 25L bag and not the 35L.

(checked my old invoice) I have the Nelson Rigg SLR-25 Sport Magnetic Tank Bag, it's got a nice touch that for another $20 I got a solar panel that sits in the pocket you can see on top and charges up a USB battery pack. Also has removable straps, so you can use magnets, hooks or as I had to for the front (since the R1 doesn't have a metal tank cover at front) a single strap I looped around the triple and back up to the other side.

*edit* also came with a weather shell that goes over top to make it "weather resistant"

15. rigger4343

rigger4343 New Member

Map
    I have the same Cortech Tank bag and I really like mine. It holds great, no problems with the magnets at all. We did a 4 day trip with it not long ago. Had my girlfriends camera in it. This camera is heavy and worth a lot more than my VFR, bag never moved an inch with the camera and stuffed with other stuff too. I also use it when I ride the bike to work to carry lunch and other little things as well.

Only thing I can complain about on it is the map pocket kind of sucks but I can fix that with a razor blade and a little heat. I have used a few other tank bags in the past on other bikes and this is the best bag that I have ever owned.

16. OCLandspeeder

OCLandspeeder New Member

United States
    OOTV showed me the way on the convenience of tank locks for tank bags. I will never go back to magnetic bags that ALWAYS scratches the paint. I also went with the GIVI bags because their bags are well thought. Even in high winds, fully loaded, in the rain, in dusty conditions, the GIVI tank bags stayed put and did their job, and made it simple and easy for me. Their bigger sport-touring bags even has a built in rain cover in a separate compartment so it doesn't take up room inside the tank bag itself. Worth every penny of the $145 I paid for it. This is par for the course for high end tank bags anyway. For the features, convenience, versatility, and robustness of design that I got, I'm 100% satisfied.

Here's my set up with the bag fully loaded and expanded:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/36653239@N08/14066467585/in/set-72157644371494052/lightbox/

Same GIVI tank locking system but using a smaller day bag. Nothing touches the paint!
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/36653239@N08/11489423945/in/photostream/lightbox/

17. HRCCBR

HRCCBR New Member

United States
    Map
    Maybe mine was a fluke? if it were not for the crappy magnets i liked the rest of the bag.

18. HRCCBR

HRCCBR New Member

United States
    Map
    well maybe I should reconsider the whole tank lock system. Does seem nice and its not that much more but there are other bags that I do like better than the current GIVI offerings...

19. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
    I second this emotion. I have had one for about two years now. I even used to ride across the country and back when I rode from Moorpark, Ca to Nashville, Tn. It just stayed put, no matter what. The only small downside were some fine scratches in my tank, but any tank bag aside from the hard mount would do that. It was cheap and it works regardless of wind and or speed. On my ride out to Nashville, both the the state of Texas and Oklahoma had strong crosswinds for the whole state and it never moved. I was riding leaned to the right for two states and it stayed put. It was fairly heavy as well, as I had a lot of stuff in it, change, phone, GPS, Raingear, flashlight, wallet, water bottles at times etc. I'd easily say it exceeded the "recommended" weight, but nary an issue.

20. adeyren

adeyren New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Have got an Oxford 38l bag, has six magnets,sticks like s**t to a blanket even at 125mph Very adaptable ie loads of different options. Great piece of kit.