High revs in Idle for 87'

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by Cheif, Oct 29, 2014.

1. Cheif

Cheif New Member

So my 87' vfr 700 Wasn't starting a while back because the fuel/air screws were screwed all the way in.

ANYWAY After I found that out I slowly opened them till it started.

NOW the bike starts but it's around 5k revs in idle. I have the idle screw completely loosened and it's not even touching the throttle wheel.

I also pulled the screws all the way out and put them all the way back in to see if those had something to do with it.

I was thinking I was gonna have to open the carbs up again to see why the bike is revving so high, because my first guess was a bent or damaged butterfly.

Basically is there anything else I can do with out taking off the carbs and going through all that crud AGAIN.

2. NormK

NormK New Member

How is the throttle cable might be holding it open

3. Cheif

Cheif New Member

Nope throttle cables fine just completely took it off and it still was idling high. ((which it's good that the revs are high because before if I revved it it would die, but this is a little much.))

4. Cheif

Cheif New Member

also choke cable is off.

5. rjgti

rjgti New Member

choke plungers stuck open? check for lean condition, intake boot leak

6. NormK

NormK New Member

Pull the tank and hook up a fuel bottle so you can see what is going on, butterflys not shutting for some reason?

7. Cheif

Cheif New Member

I'll check the choke that's the last thing mechanical to check and I sealed the boots and everything with high temp gasket stuff.

The butterfly's are completely shut and it idle's low then.

8. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    Air leak past boots ?? California pollution control hoses not sealed properly ? Excessive fuel height in carbs ? You should try a real, by-the-gauges synch job. :beguiled: You should also be able to shut down each cylinder by closing its idle mixture screw to less than one turn or somethin's wrong if it keeps runnin. Twist grip snaps back to zero easily ?? Check for proper freeplay on the cables including choke.

IMG_1131.jpg

Last edited: Oct 31, 2014
  9. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    ^Wut he said. :wave: Ice-Hunchin thumbsup:

Could get some carb cleaner and spray it around the insulator boots and such and see if there is a change in RPM, could also try blasting it in each of the fuel mixture screw ports after you remove the needle jet, poor mans carb clean, it may get you back on the road. Keep us posted

10. Cheif

Cheif New Member

I think I'm going to send it in for a carb sink. I've messed with the carb screws, with the butterfly gaps, and sealed the boots and where my air box meets the carbs, and I just want to ride (being that I live in AZ it's great outside and too many of my friends pull into work callin me a boxer)

I put a K&N High airflow filter on do you guys think that could be the problem?

11. NormK

NormK New Member

If as you say " The butterfly's are completely shut and it idle's low then. " then what is the problem, is something preventing the butterflys from shutting or how did you get them to "completely shut"?

12. crustyrider

crustyrider New Member

Map
    how about the main idle screw... you know the one you can reach down and turn while sitting on the bike on the left side.... sometimes the most obvious is the most overlooked...

13. Cheif

Cheif New Member

well when the butterflys are completely closed they catch like I have to manually reach down and turn the throttle wheel. and the main idle screw is all the way down.

14. NormK

NormK New Member

So there is the problem, why are the butterflys sticking, you have to work out why?