Full synthetic oil change?

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by rick.seconds, Oct 30, 2014.

1. rick.seconds

rick.seconds New Member

A guy gave me some Mobil 1 full synthetic 4T 10w40 oil. Would this be acceptable for oil in the 1983 750 engine?

2. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    Made for competition motorcycles, how can you go wrong? I use Amsoil pure synthetic, synthetics are the best.

3. rick.seconds

rick.seconds New Member

I was unsure of the synthetic in older engines

I use full synthetic in my other bikes but they are newwer, 08 and 09's.

4. stewartj239

stewartj239 Member

United States
    Map
    Up until 2 years ago, I owned a 1986 VF1000R, VFR750F and a VF500F. I ran full synthetic in those bikes with no trouble at all. If you have a concern about using full synthetic, you can always try a semi-synthetic instead.

5. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    One of the main benefits of pure synthetics is that they do not contain the polymers that are required to give standard oil it's variable viscosity. Those polymers start degrading as soon as you start your engine. For more consistent life from your oil, go synthetic.

6. Glenngt750

Glenngt750 New Member

Canada
    Map
    I am told that these oils are "backward's compatible".

7. crustyrider

crustyrider New Member

Map
    Check it out. Dustin Hoffman, 'Rain Man,' looked synthetic, acted synthetic, not synthetic. Counted toothpicks, cheated cards. Autistic, sho'. Not synthetic. You know Tom Hanks, 'Forrest Gump.' Slow, yes. synthetic, maybe. Braces on his legs. But he charmed the pants off Nixon and won a ping-pong competition. That ain't synthetic. Peter Sellers, "Being There." Infantile, yes. synthetic, no. You went full synthetic, man. Never go full synthetic. You don't buy that? Ask Sean Penn, 2001, "I Am Sam." Remember? Went full synthetic, went home empty handed...

8. Glenngt750

Glenngt750 New Member

Canada
    Map
    Ahhhhh....?

9. diVeFR

diVeFR New Member

United States
    Map

Sorry... The synthetic oil and what tires threads are :deadhorse: on this site....Its pretty funny by Crusty.... Don't take it personal.

10. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
    I thought SOW got a new name.

11. Ghost_Rider

Ghost_Rider Active Member

United States
    Map
    Somebody is cuttin' and pastin' from the interwebs without giving credit where credit is due.

12. 74ullc

74ullc New Member

DOT5 :peep:

13. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Kim Kardashian the queen of synthetic except her buns.

14. rick.seconds

rick.seconds New Member

So basically if you do not know the answer and ask, you sound stupid? Posting a new one without searching for old answers, is my preferred method. It seems like asking questions on this forum ends up getting some pretty bad responses.

15. 74ullc

74ullc New Member

No, the question was answered honestly before we started goofing. Just put a disclaimer in your next thread stateing that you are a very serious person and there shall be absolutely no funny business herein.

16. Ghost_Rider

Ghost_Rider Active Member

United States
    Map

Jesus-Mary-Joseph...you need to lighten up amigo. We like to have a little fun on here. Some people already chimed in an answer. Opinions on oil is like :ass: :ass: everybody has one (or two). Pure (motorcycle safe) synthetics are best if you can afford them. If you cannot, then use a MC safe conventional motor oil and change it more frequently. Best to use conventional oil with shorter VII's (viscosity index improvers), like a 10W-30, as opposed to a 10W40.

Some guys swear by Amsoil, some swear by Mobil One, some swear by Redline, some swear by Golden Spectrol, etc, etc.....they are all great synthetics, but you need to use what you can afford. You need to make the decision from there. Oil is a personal decision based on personal judgement, data, word of mouth, color of the container, alignment of the planets, etc.

I think that some that chimed in are forgetting the fact that your engine is old. Considering your engine is an older one, which I am assuming has had conventional motor oil running thru its veins for many years, I would not run synthetics for fear of leaks. Conventional oils have wax in them, and this wax could be plugging holes, sealing gaps, and has been for years. If you run synthetic on an older engine which has never had synthetic, well you run the risk of washing all of those waxes away and developing leaks, and/or other issues. Maybe so, maybe not....but I would not do it. Just keep running what was in it, and changing it on a regular basis.

My three cents...

:rofl:

17. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    I have to admit that Kim's tits are only semi-synthetic. In one of my newer bikes, the universally famous mach 1 91 I ran Semi-synthetic Golden Spectro until the local Honda stealer jacked the price up to nine bucks a quart. This aboot six years ago. I did some research/homework sans going through a shitload of anecdotal opinions and found a couple of gems written by petroleum engineers ,

chemists and VFR riders. I am now running full synthetic in my 91, my 78 Yamaha thumper, my 1200 and If I still had it maybe even the 53 Velocette.. No problemos with any of the bikes or Kim's tits. Her butt is way too big for riding pillion IMO..and I am not faking saddlebags for anyone!

This demanding of stuff will not get ya real far on this site. Saying that you are pissed is not real smart either. Save for a more worthy cause..

Remember, when BB speaks, there are probably at least one or two dudes listening sometimes.

18. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    BB is the # 1 poster, nuff-sedd aboot that.

Crusty is crazy, maybe he needs to take pictures of the old "chain-saw" and the :smow: on the ground.

Full synthetic is the way to fly. Buy the best octane gas you can get too.