I screwed up.... vf1000f rocker shaft

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by jack737, Oct 30, 2014.

1. jack737

jack737 New Member

Canada
    Map
    I thought I'd take out one of the rockers to have a look at the wear on it. So I stupidly unscrewed the shaft until I noticed it was held in by the cam holder bolt! When I got it out the flange on the shaft was cracked, I don't think I damaged anything else but now I need another rocker shaft. Of course I realized that the rocker won't come out anyway until the cams are out. My question is are all the shafts the same? ( vf750, vf500, vf1000f) Also any idea how much it would cost to get the rockers re-surfaced, they don't look too good.

2. TOE CUTTER

TOE CUTTER Mullet Man

United States
    Map
    An easy mistake to make, not sure if they are the same but here is a link for resurfacing, it is rather expensive.

http://www.megacyclecams.com/

3. 74ullc

74ullc New Member

You can go to partzilla.com, find your part, click on it and it will show you other models that part was used on. Is yours gear or chain drive cams?

I don't remember the price breakdown from megacycle but it is $1,200 to do all the cams and rockers on my '84 vf700f. Call 'em.

4. VF1000Fe

VF1000Fe New Member

Canada
    The rocker pivot bolts are no longer available. Some other engines have identical pivot bolts.
    Last I checked (September 2014), Megacycle would resurface a VF1000F rocker for $68 USd each.
    Resurfacing all 4 cams was $685 USd (Grind# 161-00, page 39 http://www.megacyclecams.com/catalog/catalog.pdf)
    If you reuse your damaged bolt, make sure it is placed furthest away from the Oil Supply Pipe.

5. jack737

jack737 New Member

Canada
    Map
    Thanks guys, the partzilla site is great, according to that the rocker shafts are all the same and even the rockers are used on all the 1100's and the vf1000r models. That makes it easier to find some good used ones. The new rocker shaft is fairly cheap, I'll just replace the damaged one. Megacycle is fairly pricey if I get everything re-surfaced, there is a place called Colt Cams that's not far from me that will re-machine the cams for $368 + tax. Not sure if they nitride them like Megacycle and I don't know what they charge for re-surfacing the rockers.