Thinking about possibly selling my 2010 VFR 1200?!

Discussion in '7th Generation 2010-Present' started by E.SLC., Oct 31, 2014.

1. E.SLC.

E.SLC. New Member

United States
    Map
    Hello my friends,

I would like to switch to a super sport (600-750cc) and that means selling my VFR (I can't justify the 3rd bike in my garage and there is no room for my car) which is in perfect condition with 5500 miles, brand new Pilot Road 4 tires and ECU reflashed by Don Guhl which means:

1. Removed the 1st and 2nd gear power restriction
    2. Revised fuel map
    3. Increased the RPM limit setting by 500 RPM
    4. Disabled the alarm code for the servo motor (because I have another exhaust installed and motor completely removed)
    5. Installed a Dynojet fuel map directly into ECU
    6. Eliminate the top speed limiter for 5th and 6th gears

What should I be asking for $? Any ideas?

Thank you

20140827_114736-1.jpg 20141008_114458.jpg

2. cornerexit

cornerexit New Member

3. Knight

Knight New Member

United States
    Map
    I will be curious how well you do so please keep us updated.

How about this? Check Craigslist for VFR's. When you find one, check the CBRs in the same region. Now check the CBR pricing in your area, and adjust your VFR accordingly for the regional differences. I am presuming there are 20 CBRs for sale in your area and maybe no VFR's.

There is a 2010 VFR1200, clean, unmodified, in my Ohio Craigslist for $9200. VFR's are pricier here than in adjoining states.

I wonder what the experience on your bike is compared to my 800. Not interested, just have been curious about that beautiful 1200.

Someday if I can, I am going to have my mechanic put the 1200 in an 800 body for me. :)

4. iamzombie

iamzombie New Member

For the record, I paid $8,500 CDN for mine (2010) a month ago (and our dollar is shiet right now) with 1,360km (845 miles) factory hardbags and heated grips... I did get a smoking deal because buddy needed to unload his bike ASAP, he didn't get a cent for the sale, it all went to Honda to pay off his loan.

5. Knight

Knight New Member

United States
    Map
    Note sure what you mean about your dollar being bad as I calculate that is $7536.03 US. That would be a steal here. Congratulations!

6. Arnzinator

Arnzinator New Member

United States
    Map
    This time of year is always tough to get rid of a bike. Especially with the holidays right around the corner. You may want to hold on to it till spring, maybe get a little more for it. Either way you may have to price it aggressively as there seems to be no shortage of these for sale. You can find new 2013 advertised for $9999.99 on cycletrader.com. Plus plenty of low mileage 2010's on up to 2013.

7. Jay with a vet in ba

Jay with a vet in ba New Member

United States
    Sell one of the other machines and live life without regrets!

8. E.SLC.

E.SLC. New Member

United States
    Map
    I know what you are saying my friend. Everyone loves their VFR. And that is exactly how I wanted to feel about it too.

But for some reason I could never connect with that bike (no grin/excitement/fun factor if any) and I know that is weird because everyone loves their VFR's.

So I question myself it it's me or what, and I have no clue to be honest.

I am afraid I may regret it later but there is only one way to find out...

9. Tpoppa

Tpoppa New Member

United States
    Map
    OOC. What do you plan to do with 600 you can't do with the VFR?

I have a 600RR ABS and a VFR. I'm pretty sure I'm going to sell the 600 after next season and the VFR will be my only bike.

10. E.SLC.

E.SLC. New Member

United States
    Map
    Hi Tpoppa,

Good question, now you are making me think about it again :) Thank you.

I think that for example an 600 RR (ZX636R, or GSXR750) or most super-sports in that range will make a faster acceleration of the line and are maybe better in canyons as far as lean angle?! What do you say? I'm not into track riding.

I guess I'm looking for excitement...

11. Knight

Knight New Member

United States
    Map
    You are asking about function while E.SLC posted that he is not happy. I take his post to mean he wants something smaller, lighter, nimbler, with more explosive acceleration. He might not do anything different with the race replica but it may just put the elusive smile on his face. We all are riding around, doing the same thing, on different machines, are we not?

"So I question myself it it's me or what, and I have no clue to be honest."

Motorcyles are personality machines. This one does not match up with yours. That's it, and nothing wrong about it that it did not work out. If all your VFR buddies jumped off a cliff, would you follow them... :)

I have an engineering mindset. Whether it is a guitar, hand tool, motorcycle, pen, desk, or motherboard, I absolutely love a high quality piece. There is too much mediocrity in the world and it makes me INSANE. As Motorcycle Consumer News recently wrote about the new VFR800, something to the affect of "obsessive compulsive attention to quality". This type of design gives me a high I cannot describe, so the bike gets many bonus points from me personally. But then mcn wrote an ominous line, something like, "but is refinement enough?" That says a lot. It will not be enough for many people and that is understandable.

You should seriously pat yourself on the back for trying something cool and then move onto the next cool thing. A race replica sounds awesome, so have at it!

Last edited: Nov 3, 2014
  12. Tpoppa

Tpoppa New Member

United States
    Map
    I have ridden on track, but never got the track bug. I prefer spirited street riding to track days.

The limiting factor for lean angle on the VFR is the footpegs. The chassis and suspension still have plenty of capability at that lean angle. I've dragged the VFR pegs plenty of times, not so often with higher pegs on the CBR. After about 200 miles on the CBR my knees start to hurt. That's the trade off.

I think the VFR will be faster than any 600 and about the same as a GSXR750 in a straight line...once you disable the 1st and 2nd gear throttle nanny.

I can ride the CBR at a faster pace though curves, but only certain types of corners. The VFR can pretty much keep up with the 600 on high speed sweepers. The limiting factor is how big of a speeding ticket I'm willing to risk :)

The differences are most noticeable on tight, technical stretches of asphalt. I can confidently throw the CBR into tight, 25mph corners at speeds that I just can't match on the VFR. I am still learning the limits of the VFR (it may have a little more left), but the front end on the CBR just inspires more confidence.

13. E.SLC.

E.SLC. New Member

United States
    Map
    Knight,
    Thank you for your comments. Those are all good points and I agree with you.
    I think I'm looking for more explosive acceleration and something that "scares me" if that makes sense?!

You know that feeling when you are on the bike and you grin like crazy and it makes you very happy that you can't stop riding?
    That is what I need and this is my 4th bike without that pleasure. I guess I am broken lol

I never had a supper sport and I'm thinking that will cure the problem, but again maybe I'm wrong.

14. E.SLC.

E.SLC. New Member

United States
    Map
    Well,
    I guess I am buying your CBR :)

15. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    This will put a big grin on your face and scare you at the same time.
    Also Chicks magnet :pound:

http://www.ducatiusa.com/bikes/superbike/899_panigale/index.do

16. f3racer

f3racer New Member

E.SLC.

Ive owned nothing but Super sports, until my vfr1200. i even traded my cbr1k for my vfr. i can tell you that unless you are planning on alot of track duty you probably will regret selling the vfr. i miss my 07 600rr CCS bike but not enough to trade my vfr for one. I can also tell you that ive ran every bike ive owned except my rc51 at the drag strip and this vfr hauls. my cbr1k was only 2/10's quicker. the vfr is much easier to launch hard. the vfr is the 2nd quickest bike ive owned as well. yes it leaves some things to be desired like better suspension but nothing that cant be fixed.

17. Tpoppa

Tpoppa New Member

United States
    Map
    My experience is very similiar.

I may drop the front end 5-10mm and see if that quickens the turning enough for tight technical riding. If not I may change fork springs.

18. Arnzinator

Arnzinator New Member

United States
    Map
    If scary acceleration is what you want then get a Busa or ZX14. If you want scary acceleration with surgical precise handling any of the liter class bikes should do. If your looking for a little of both with some comfort try a naked bike. KTM Super Duke, Aprilia V4 Tuono, BMW S1000R the list goes on. These days there is no shortage of scary bikes, if that is your only criteria.

If you do part with your VFR & come to regret it, I say so what. There are plenty available, many as clean as yours. If buying a supersport is gonna fill that void for you or if you think it will, then buy it. If you don't that monkey on your back is just gonna get bigger & heavier.

19. E.SLC.

E.SLC. New Member

United States
    Map
  20. Knight

Knight New Member

United States
    Map
    I took the liberty of providing another sample. I'll list it here then post why:

I'm looking for a Super‐Sport like: Suzuki GSXR 750, Kawasaki Ninja
    636 or Honda CBR 600RR.

This is a 2010 Honda VFR 1200F with only 5500 miles on it to trade or
    sell. This is a 1237 CC V4 engine with Honda's VTEC, built with
    Honda’s unparalleled obsessive compulsive attention to quality
    including the constant improvements to their V4 lineup over several decades.

** This SHOULD NOT BE your first bike! **

Upgrades:
    * Removed the 1st and 2nd gear power restriction
    * Revised fuel map
    * Increased the RPM limit setting by 500 RPM
    * Disabled the alarm code for the servo motor
    (because I have another exhaust installed and motor completely
    removed)
    * Installed a Dynojet fuel map directly into the ECU
    *Puig Windscreen
    *Tank Pads
    *Exhaust