New 2014 break in quetions

Discussion in '8th Generation 2014-Present' started by V45mikie, Nov 10, 2014.

1. V45mikie

V45mikie New Member

United States
    Sorry, kind a new around here I'm not sure if this is the place for this! OK I just put my first 120 miles on my 2014 and the heads seem a bit noisier that when I picked her up. When I picked her up her top ends were silent now they have a bit of chatter. Has any other 2014 operators noticed this? is this the norm?
    Love the bike so far, I've tried to stay in the manuals guide lines but I was forced on to highway traffic by a officer who had the access road blocked so I was forced to run Highway speeds for a about 4 miles and this has me concerned. Any feed back or advise would be help full !
    My 83 V45 is a bit clattery but its always been like that till it warms up. I've been through three head rebuilds on my old V45 so I'm a bit paranoid!

Mikie

2. skimad4x4

skimad4x4 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

France
    Map
    Hi Mikie and welcome to the MadHouse!:welcome:

When you get time can you drop by the introductions forum and say Hi to the rest of the folks on here and post up a few pictures of your new 8th Gen. Maybe also update your forum profile (forum actions/edit profile) to include the full specs of your bike and a rough location.

If you still have concerns about the bike not running right, then you may find plenty of nearby volunteers willing to take the bike out for a spin - just to make sure its OK, and if you have a well stocked beer fridge :drink: you may find you have regular visitors from this forum!

:focus:

I have not seen any previous reports of the new bikes suddenly getting noisier. Obviously after only 120 miles this bike is not even run in, so it is sensible to follow the guidance.

As you are new here - it is perhaps worth mentioning that it is entirely normal for the noise level on the bikes to increase dramatically once you get the revs up (so at highway speeds) and the second set of (vtec) valves open up inside the engine unleashing a heap of extra horses and the bike making a mad dash at the horizon!

I guess if until now, you have been diligently following the running in instructions and keeping the revs down low, then you may not have previously encountered that vtec roar. Provided the noise goes away once you drop the revs down below the vtec range then its entirely normal and nothing to worry about. However if the noise continues and bike is noticeably louder at low rpm then I suggest you speak to the vendor and maybe arrange to get them to check it over.

Just a thought - does your VFR service book envisage doing a mini service on the bike at 600 miles? If so I guess the bike should be given a thorough post delivery inspection check. So if noise continues to be an issue - it should probably be an ideal time to get them to investigate.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

SkiMad

3. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    I'm sure you have done no harm. On break in on a new bike I am a bit of a nut perhaps but I change oil after 50 miles, then another 100 then every 2000. I have seen cut open filters after 50 miles on a new bike and the amount of metal is amazing.

4. DriverDave

DriverDave New Member

United States
    Map
    FYI, I rode mine like I stole it, right out of the gate. I got the 600 mile service done on day 6 and I now have 4k miles in just under 3 months. I continue to ride very hard and fast in the mountains with expert sport bikers all the time. The bike runs perfect with no weird sounds or smells. I wouldn't worry at all about running on the highway for a few miles.

5. stewartj239

stewartj239 Member

United States
    Map
    I would say that most people don't follow the break-in procedure and just ride the bike as they normally would from 0 odometer miles and upward. There is plenty of debate as to which method is better, but I can't say I have ever seen any mechanical failures related to either method. Not achieving highway speeds on a new bike is difficult, especially if your commute takes you there. I would not stress over it as the VFR motor is extremely reliable and durable and has nothing in common with your V45. What color did you get? Congratulations on your purchase and welcome.

6. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    You can read about break in till your head swims. Basically as I have come to understand it, on high performance engines broke in hard you can get a few more hp. But a look at the procedures in aviation with heat cycles and gradual may mean a bit more longevity. Can debate it all day. Just change your oil early!

7. V45mikie

V45mikie New Member

United States
    Thanks for the input frm every one. I've reached the time to go get the first physical done. Has any one experienced noisy valves during the break in process and Am I the only one that thinks the clutch is a bit odd feeling. My riding bud says the 600 mile breakin oil change helped his CBR600 RR out. Any Ideas? I've kept below 5000 rpm and just did that for short hops. Also any feed back on RPM vs MPH in the various gears? I've found this bike is SO bottom end strong at low speeds its hard to tell if your lugging it at to low a RPM. This thing is a tractor of a engine which I love but I think I need a bit more RPM for a given gear. This bike has much more bottom end torque that my 83 V45 I can vouch for that! The one observation I've run into is the old V45 is a smoother engine while the 2014 VFR800 seems vibrate more at a given RPM but that may go away with more miles and a post break in oil change. So if any one thinks I'm nuts let me know!!

8. stewartj239

stewartj239 Member

United States
    Map
    If you're saying that you've primarily kept it below 5000 RPM, then now that the engine is broken in, start running up in the higher RPMs, then re-evaluate things. This engine does have good power everywhere, but I personally run higher in the RPM range as opposed to a lower RPM which might lug the engine. Also, the smoothness issue would probably be rectified by adding a Power Commander. I have a 2007 and from what I've read, the 2014 engine is pretty much the same as the 6th Gen engine which does have fueling issues with smoothness especially in the 25-35 MPH range.

9. DriverDave

DriverDave New Member

United States
    Map
    They pretty much fixed the fueling issues on the 2014. I can vouch as I had a 2007 before the 2014. I have no throttle/fueling problems with the 2014 at all.

10. stewartj239

stewartj239 Member

United States
    Map
    I'm glad Honda finally fixed that. I believe that other model year 6th Gens also had the same problem. On my first '07, I finally got a PCV to fix it when I got sick of the snatchy throttle. On only my 2nd time out on my current '07, which is 100% stock, the problem appeared. I knew it would be there, but confirmation that it is a common issue. I've already ordered a PCV for my current bike and hope to get it installed this week.

11. jimlowe

jimlowe New Member

12. GreyVF750F

GreyVF750F Member

United States
    Map
    Read the info. The guy is absolutely right. Not sure about his 20 mile statement though. The rings need pressure to do their job. Putting around is not going to do it very well. Just as long the first 100-200 is not constant highway speed. You want to vary the rpms and stay away from red line to break in a motor properly. 500 miles max is all. Then just run the thing.

13. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
  14. V45mikie

V45mikie New Member

United States
    OK thanks to all who have given me some feed back! I just got her out after the 600 mile check over. It runs like a completely different motorcycle. The mechanic who did the service commented she is a strong engine so that's nice to hear. Clutch and engine vibration is improved greatly and now I have back off the gas instead of having to give it more just to cruise the back roads. Very pleased with the white beast its funny it actually kind sounds like my Old VF750F need to get them running side by side and record it on a DAT.

Thanks

15. vfrfly

vfrfly New Member

Congrats. Sounds like you love yours to. I broke mine in my way.....not the book method. It was doing full throttle acceleration after 20 mins of me leaving the dealer. ....runs fine, and that is all that matters to me.

16. SammichTheStout

SammichTheStout New Member

I just took it easy on mine until the 600 mile service. Never opened the throttle more than 3/4 and never went below 4000 revs or above 9000 revs. After 600 miles, I just rode it. No restrictions.

17. Von 800

Von 800 New Member

i'm thrashing mine, hitting redline in 1st and 2nd because i like this duder's advice and rationale: http://mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

18. James Bond

James Bond Member

United States
    Map
    Ride it fairly easy for 600 miles then run it any way you want. The 2014 doesn't like to be below 4000 rpm's. The only time mine sees 4000 is coasting down a mountain in the town I live in while in traffic. I'll let it go in sixth gear on that mountain. Once at the bottom, it almost never gets below 5000rpm and sees 10,000 often. Above that and it's just spinning and not making any more hp. Redlining this bike is a waste of time and engine. Just shift it.

19. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    BB will Break it and Randy will Drop it!:nelson: Oh Duccman would Kiss it!