Cooling woes.

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by makenzie71, Nov 15, 2014.

1. makenzie71

makenzie71 New Member

United States
    I'm running a Gen 5 800 lump in my buggy and I'm having some cooling issues. I'm getting upwards of 255 with the fan on (switched). It doesn't seem to be venting into the reservoir. I'm running a 1.1 Bar cap.

To start with: I'm running a single radiator (EX500) with the VFR fan as oppose to the dual VFR setup. I have it setup with the hose off the water pump housing going into the radiator, and the hose leading to the V-valley coming out of the radiator. Would this be adequate or is there some trick here that would keep the coolant from flowing properly here?

Today, after cruising around for half an hour or so I was peaking around 255*f. I shut it down and went and vented the cap. I got a LOT of air out of the system. Obviously I'm going to assume I had some air in there and that just allowed the temps to spike without getting enough pressure to vent and try again tomorrow.

Anyway, any opinions/suggestions would be appreciated.

2. OZ VFR

OZ VFR Member

Australia
    Map
    Wrong way around.
    The hose from the "V" goes to the top of the radiator, it then returns to the water pump from the bottom of the radiator.
    That radiator might be a bit small as well, for water flow that is.
    If you had air in the system, and was picking up from the top, it would not get much water flowing.

3. makenzie71

makenzie71 New Member

United States
    That's what I'm thinking happened. The radiator is mounted above the engine, flowing your way would put the intake on the radiator at the top (and then drain out the bottom). I'm thinking there was an air bubble and it wasn't flowing very well. I got a lot of steam out of the system when I vented, and the radiator itself was a little too warm to touch but it wasn't "boiling coolant" hot. I'm thinking it just got trapped. How I have this thing setup would be pretty difficult to bleed.

I'm planning on getting this to see if that sorts it out:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/01-05-Civic...Parts_Accessories&hash=item43d294842b&vxp=mtr

4. makenzie71

makenzie71 New Member

United States
    I misunderstood this the other day:

The hose to the "V" is at the top of the radiator. Coming off the radiator I have the VFR radiator cap 90* elbow fitting. The low port on the radiator goes to the pump. So it should be draining into the pump, and then pumping up the hose from the valley and into the radiator.

A concern I have is that with the radiator cap off I'm not seeing any flow until the engine is pretty warm.

5. OZ VFR

OZ VFR Member

Australia
    Map
    Flow will not start untill thermostat starts to open at around 86*C.
    Then you should see flow start slow then to fast as engine warms up.
    Fan on bike does not kick in untill around 104*C.