Water pump issue

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by makenzie71, Nov 20, 2014.

1. makenzie71

makenzie71 New Member

United States
    I'm running a Gen 5 800 in a buggy and I'm having some heating issues. I'm running a single EX500 radiator and the pump side of the motor is at the bottom of the radiator and the high side and cap are on the "V" side. I'm curious if I should be able to see the water flowing if I pop the cap off with the engine cold? While cold I don't see anything flowing through the radiator down the elbow going to the V (or coming back from). I don't know if the thermostat closed allows much flow and after the engine is warm coolant expands too much for me to see much of anything other than green stuff falling out.

2. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    Your thermostat might be stuck, have you check the cap and do the puff?

3. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
  4. makenzie71

makenzie71 New Member

United States
    The cap is new and tested fine. The "puff" I don't understand.

The thermostat seems to be working fine since, after it gets up to temperature, coolant just pumps out of the cap (ot's on the high pressure side). I just expected there to be SOME flow.

Here's one concern I have: There's a 1/4"~ish hose that comes from the engine that went to a port on one of the radiators. What was this for?

Prior to tearing this bike down the whole thing worked just fine. I believe I'll try ditching the EX500 radiator and find some way to use both the stock radiators to get it back to working properly. I had plans of running a 3" radiator meant for a civic but with these issues I'm not sure I want to try anything else yet.

5. Mohawk

Mohawk New Member

That 1/4 hose is the thermostat (TS) bleed hose, to clear any air in the TS. With the thermostat closed, the water when cold circulates via a 3/4 hose from the TS to the water pump (WP) this is what allows the engine to warm &carry the heat to the TS to activate it, once the TS is open, the coolant will take the path of least resistance which is via the rad to the WP again. If the TS to rad pipe connects to the bottom of the rad, then you will not see flow at the rad cap, or very little. Use a bucket to replace the rad, you will see flow !

The pump feeds to the heads via a C pipe in front of generator housing. Then comes out 2 pipes to TS, the TS feeds out the right side of the V to the rad & then back to the lower hose on the WP. make sure its plumbed up properly. Get an infra red thermometer if the rad by the return pipe mis over 70C then the rad is to small !