Do you guys think CAT5E or 6E cabline could handle extending my instrument cluster wiring?

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by makenzie71, Nov 23, 2014.

1. makenzie71

makenzie71 New Member

United States
    It's for a buggy. I need to move the clocks to my dash area but space is pretty tight where my wiring has to go. Running a couple of 10 conductor cables is out of the question. However, I can run a 14g hot wire for power and a couple of cat5's for the individual signals. Grounds on the frame. You guys think that would be adequate?

2. bitterpil

bitterpil New Member

United States
    Map
    You probably don't need 5E or 6 since that is mostly a rating of loss over distance. Look into regular phone or cat 5 22 guage wire. There is Power over Ethernet PoE and PoE plus witch is voltage over the line to power devices like phones and WiFi access points. So it could work for your application. I am suggesting 22ga over the normal 24ga wire since the larger gauge may be better for your application. Also regular telephone wire has been sending 110volt ring voltage for YEARS that's how they power your old time phone and send a voltage powerful enough to ring your phone. Neat huh?

Good luck with your choice and your project.

3. makenzie71

makenzie71 New Member

United States
    I know there's some powered applications but they're really low amp. I didn't know if there was a function of the clocks that would draw more amps than one of those little wires could handle. I'm looking at 5E or 6 because that's what I have spools of and I'm pretty sure my stuff is 22g.

4. OOTV

OOTV Insider

I work in the Audio-Video industry and the one problem we find with using a CAT-5/6 solution for control wiring, when not using the RJ-45 connectors is that the solid copper wire has a tendency to break at the termination points. If you have or can find stranded CAT cable that would make a better choice IMO. Note that typically once something has been installed, the need to move it around is very low, however when things are moved about the connections always seem to fail.

That being said, if using solid core cable, it might be best to use a breakout box. Essentially take a "biscuit jack" for the wires to terminate to so that you can have an RJ-45 connector for your cables that run back and forth. The benefit here is that if your cables get damaged, it would be easy to just go out and buy a new cable, or make up one of your own. One thing to look at though is the amperage going through the wire, as the RJ-45 ends are only rated at 500mA if I'm not mistaken.

5. makenzie71

makenzie71 New Member

United States
    I didn't even think to use RJ45 jacks. That's rather neat. The ends would be in fixed locations so movement wouldn't be an issue and my cabling is multistrand.

The draw is what I'm really concerned about. Each of the indicator bulbs are 193 wedges which have a .3 amperage draw at 12v. So far that's the highest draw I can find. I can't find any power draw information for the tach or speedo. I'm going to give it all a shot and just see how it works. In the end I'll be running an aftermarket cluster anyway since the gen 5 VFR unit is gigantic.

6. fredsncoma

fredsncoma New Member

United States
    Have guys considered the flux capacitor for this application?

7. DaHose

DaHose New Member

United States
    Map
    Maximum recommendation for power transmission on 24 gauge wire is .577 amps.

Solid core 5e could handle the power just fine. I would actually recommend using DB25 connectors on the mating ends and making a "real" harness.

Jose

8. makenzie71

makenzie71 New Member

United States
    A DB25 setup would be nice, but I don't currently have that haha

I have everything for Cat5 and RJ45's.

Why do you suggest solid core? I've got a number of long patch cables and some are solid core. I could use them instead if there were reason. Seems like solid core would be more likely to break.

9. OOTV

OOTV Insider

The solid core cable on DB connectors is where the problem I was mentioning shows up. When solid core CAT cable is used on these connectors and there is movement of the cable, the wires would typically break at the termination point. However stranded cable didn't have the same issue as long as the connections were the solder type versus crimp type connectors. Persoanlly I would use a multi head connector like those found in "live" sound applications, these are commonly found on stage plates and mobile sound trucks. Very sturdy and easy to maintain when issues arise, they even make special cable to use for these applications. However these connectors/cables can be pricey. Since the OP has the cable and that RJ-45 connectors and jacks are so inexpensive, this would be quicker and easier to implement than a multi-pin connection IMO.

10. DaHose

DaHose New Member

United States
    Map
    Stranded has a lower current rating and I would want the safety margin of solid core for the main run. I would also secure the solid core plug end down and then use stranded 20 gauge inside the cluster with the DB25 connector. The connectors are cheap and you can get them from Radio Shack.

Jose

11. MrSleep

MrSleep New Member

United States
    Map
    Can't be any worse than Honda's undersized wiring and connectors!!

12. OZ VFR

OZ VFR Member

Australia
    Map
    You're better off using 6 core security cable, this is available in different gauges and is much more robust.

13. makenzie71

makenzie71 New Member

United States
    I looked into that stuff and the problem is money. The run I've got to make is nearly ten feet. At $3 per foot that's $30 per run, and there would need to be three runs, making a $90 harness. For that much I could get the properly coded wiring in 15ft lengths, shielding, and joints and have the whole thing in factory style.

14. makenzie71

makenzie71 New Member

United States
    I went back and looked at the DB2 connectors, and a bunch of other serial-type setups and have new reasons why it wouldn't work. No space. the more I thought about serial type connectors the more I liked them, but I have to run my cable through a 1.5" conduit. Considering the application I'm tying to keep as much of my cabling protected as I can. If I ever had to pull the cabling I would have to cut the ends off one side and replace them. The RJ45 connector will pull through without any problems.

I do have my cluster pinned out now:

[​IMG]

It was a little snug getting the wires in but they all fit. I plan to do the same with the wiring harness side. That way I can just use a generic patch cable any time I need to replace it...plus, the cables fit my conduit without a problem. Ended up with an extra wire but it's a ground and it'll terminate at the frame behind the cluster.

15. DaHose

DaHose New Member

United States
    Map
    You had better be EXTREMELY careful how you wire things up. You will have two interchangeable connectors right next to each other. Mark them with ridiculously clear and easy to recognize markings. Also, consider pin patterns that put grounds and positive leads on the same pins of both connectors just in case you do something silly .... like swap your two clearly marked, but interchangeable connectors.

Jose

16. makenzie71

makenzie71 New Member

United States
    Well I can say that I'm not too concerned about swapping the connectors...I've already done it by accident lol.

However, the blue connector will still be blue, and it will be run with blue cable. Same with the grey...grey connector and grey cable. I will wrap the RJ45 female with colored shrink wrap on both the harness side and the cluster side to aid with this. It should be pretty simple to keep it sorted out.

17. makenzie71

makenzie71 New Member

United States
    I used 22g CAT6 cabling and RJ45 jacks to connect the wiring harness to the cluster. It worked out very well, though I will have to come up with a way to shield the connectors properly.

I've got some pretty'ing up to do with the dash tubing, now, and I'll be doing an aluminum hood to cover it all up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]