What is this Bolt and Where Does it Go on My 5th Gen?

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by Misspent Youth, Nov 24, 2014.

1. Misspent Youth

Misspent Youth New Member

United States
    Might be time to weld the tool box shut. My 5th Gen spent 2 years on the lift because I was too busy to quickly do some relatively minor maintenance - clean/lube rear susp linkages, rear brake pivot, remove/lube sidestand, chg coolant, clean electrical connections, chg brake fluid, and remove/clean calipers. Rear wheel and muffler came off. Everything went together fine and the bike rides OK. Then I'm cleaning up the work area and putting away tools and found A LEFTOVER PART!! (pic below). I've disassembled the VFR several times and don't recall seeing this part. I regularly work on 4 bikes, a chipper shredder, and a power washer. I buy used parts that have extra stuff I don't need and remove for "later use". In other words, I'm not 100% positive the part comes from the VFR, or even a bike. I've been through the factory manual twice and don't see anything similar. Now I don't want to ride any of the bikes until I figure out which one is missing a possibly very important part.

The ring around the middle is an aluminum spacer that, due to the wear pattern on the bolt, seems to go against the bolt's head. The bolt's face is flat. The wear suggests it's from the VFR due to age/miles, but the allen head suggests my Triumph speed triple (which doesn't appear to be missing any bolts - been through that manual, too).

Anyone recognize this piece? Help!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. BWeiss

BWeiss Johnny Partseed

United States
    Map
    Can't say i've ever seen that on my 5th gen, and I've been into it pretty far before...

3. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    I was going to say it looked like the pin your seat latches onto but I guess it is far to big for that.

4. DaHose

DaHose New Member

United States
    Map
    Could it be a stubby replacement for a frankenbolt?

Jose