So. Cal Ride Call to the Sea...the Salton Sea that is

Discussion in 'Trips & Events' started by OOTV, Nov 25, 2014.

1. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Well, time to put up or shut up about there not being anybody doing any riding on this forum. Once again, OCLandspeeder and I will be hosting a ride in So. Cal that will put the VFR to the test, for distance at least. It'll be this Saturday 11/29/2014.

We plan to ride to the Salton Sea to visit a little known spot some call "the ruins". Salton Sea used to be a bustling resort community in the 1950's and '60's. Over the years the water became too salty and smelly and the resort communities slowly died. Today, there is a spot along the shoreline where one can still explore the remnants of the once popular boating and fishing venue.

The ride starts in Orange County, heading South East via Ortega Highway, I-15 to Highway 79. From there we take R3, to Wilson Valley Road, to pick up 371, connecting up with Highway 74 (Pines to Palms Highway). We will drop down into the desert for brunch in Palm Desert, before heading south to Salton Sea to visit the ruins.

The route to the finish will be Highway 78 to Julian, then Old Julian Highway to the town of Ramona. The final slab home will be on I-5 via Oceanside back to Orange County.

Meeting Spot #1: Unocal 76 station, junction of Oso Parkway and I-5 in the city of Mission Viejo: https://www.google.com/maps/place/7...1s0x0000000000000000:0x9c4223616701e3c3?hl=en KSU 7:30am.

Meeting Spot #2: Mobil station at junction of Hwy 79 and Bedfort Ct., city of Temecula here: https://www.google.com/maps/place/M...1s0x0000000000000000:0x51bff708dd0a2866?hl=en KSU 8:30am

Brunch: There are so many choices but quite a few are probably not motorcycle friendly or motorcycle group convenient. So we'll take a wild guess and pin this location up because it looks like a good, simple place to eat that's not over priced:

Randy's Cafe
    73560 California 111
    Palm Desert, CA 92260

More details to come later today.

FYI, this ride is not going to be a balls out ride for speed kicks. The route, the Thanksgiving weekend motorists, along with the expected CHP enforcement requires the pace to be mellow. Lots of stops along the way for photo ops. Pass slower traffic when safe.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2014
  2. Outboard John

Outboard John New Member

Sounds like a hoot D, sadly, owning a toy store doesn't afford me any time between Thanksgiving and New Years for fun. I assume you are riding Saturday? There is a great restaurant in Rainbow a few miles south of the 15 and 79, very bike friendly, patio seating if you like, nice sort of woodsy feel to the place, and adult beverages if you are so inclined! It's (Rainbow Oaks) the reason we were late to the bike show!
    John

3. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
    When is this ride. You mentioned over TDay weekend, but what day?

4. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Yes, it'll be this Saturday, thanks for that I just edited the post to add the date. Having worked retail for several years, I feel your pain! I used to have to work 7 days a week from the Friday after Thanksgiving up to Christmas Eve! Great money but with little to no time to spend it!

5. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Sorry about that. It'll be this Saturday 11/29/2104

6. metallyguitarded

metallyguitarded New Member

Map
    I'm definitely in. Sounds like fun. I'll meet you at the second meeting spot in Temecula. I'm an hour south of there. What time do you figure you'll arrive in Temecula?

7. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Probably between 8:15-8:30. KSU is estimated at 8:30 so we're targeting just before that. See you in Temecula!

8. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    Oh man I will be in Borrego, stop by and have a cold beverage :drinkers:

9. zombie

zombie New Member

Canada
    I keep telling my wife that we should move somewhere that the bike doesn't have to stay in the garage for months on end. I never win the argument but moving to your area sounds really tempting to me right now. I managed to make it out on Saturday for about 15 mins between the wet snow and the freezing rain. Not jealous at all... really.

10. OOTV

OOTV Insider

You're going about it wrong, tell her you need to move to Californa so the guys down there can see what a real beautiful woman looks like, as she would put those So Cal beauties to shame. Plus the sunshine would just do wonders for her complexion. It's worth a shot right?

11. OCLandspeeder

OCLandspeeder New Member

United States
    Cool. We now have four attendees so far.

I don't know about you guys but I'd rather be riding like the wind than carrying shopping bags, dining with the in-laws, and dealing with the hoards of people on Thanksgiving weekend. Like I said on another forum, life is short. When all is said and done you're going to wonder why you didn't ride as much as you could. So join us and ride because you can!

12. mofo

mofo New Member

United States
    Map
    Okay, I'll shut up. Have fun everyone.

13. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Dude, you're too quiet in the first place. :smile: Time to take a day or two off and join the fray!

14. mofo

mofo New Member

United States
    Map
    I'd love to, but unfortunately it counts towards my vacation time. If it didn't, I'd be joining the crew often, but seeing how much I love taking two weeks off -paid- every year, I much rather save them and go on a two-week long ride trip somewhere.
    I will join you one of these days when I find someone to cover my shift at work.

15. OCLandspeeder

OCLandspeeder New Member

United States
    This is the first time in years that I've had 3 weeks of vacation time. Even that doesn't seem enough.

But even with my prior 2 weeks a year vacation, I would do two 3-day tours. I would include the weekend within those 3 days.

16. derstuka

derstuka Lord of the Wankers Staff Member

Map
    Lusting for that wonderful aroma?? Too bad I will be out of town boss, or I would take you lads a few places you may or not have been....

Such as...

Salvation Mountain
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The shoe tree in nearby Slab City (interesting "off the grid, tax evading folks" there)
    [​IMG]

The art (junk) truck...

[​IMG]

Lest we forget extravagant "Bombay Beach".....a place time has forgot. Think life after people...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Let's not forget the source of the sea's "aroma." Yum yum gonna get me some...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

For kicks, go to Mecca and do an out an back thru Box Canyon. Not long, but neat, and cool scenery. North end of Salton Sea.

Oh, if you are gonna try to make Salvation Mtn, you can get some chow at the "Buckshot Cafe" in nearby Niland (one of two restaurants in town). You will have to ride dirt to see "east Jesus" past slab city. East side of Salton Sea is more picturesque that west IMO.

Hope you lads have fun.

17. derstuka

derstuka Lord of the Wankers Staff Member

Map
    Forgot to add. If by "the ruins" you are speaking of the old yacht club and marina, that was torn down several years ago. Was cool to check out while it lasted. Just FYI if Darryl is reading...

18. OCLandspeeder

OCLandspeeder New Member

United States
    Thanks for the update Derstuka. We probably will only have time enough for Bombay Beach, now that you gave us the heads up on the old Marina. Too bad I liked that spot but I've never been to Bombay so this is a very good alternative.

19. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    What a fooken suckie name for a eatery. They probably use stray cats to make their chicken salad sammies.

Wished I could join you guys.

20. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Take the bikes to a coin operated carwash after the ride. Salt is salt..