Honda VFR 750 Battery Replacement

Discussion in '3rd & 4th Generation 1990-1997' started by belosah, Nov 28, 2014.

1. belosah

belosah New Member

Hey guys,

New to the thread and been looking through the site for similar problems but couldn't find any.

Been trying to get a replacement battery for my vfr 750. Initially had a YTX 9BS which was put in by the seller but didnt do the job. Didnt seem to be giving the right amount of power.

Been trying to find a match for the YTX 12BS or LFX14A1-BS12 which was recommended on atbatt.com

Have found a Mf 12N14-3A but im sceptical.

Can I get an Amen. I mean, offer some charitable advice.

AJ

2. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    YTX12 may be too tall for seat to latch down. I'm not sure. You need to test the charging system output (13.5-14.5 volts) before blaming battery. YTX9 is fine if it's not too old or charging system is insufficient.

3. NormK

NormK New Member

Have a look at the Motorbatt range I find the MB9U will crank over anything I throw at it and I throw some bikes that have sat for years and no problems. Do not touch the wet acid Chinese junk, wast of time. Motorbatt has reversible terminals as well

4. skimad4x4

skimad4x4 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

France
    Map
    I think you will find the YTX12 should physically fit fine in your 750. Indeed the Yuasa version of that battery is the recommended High performance option recommended by the folks I tend to get my batteries from -

http://www.whitedogbikes.com/item--...ry-YTX12-BS--vfr-750-f-batteries-ytx12bs.html

If it helps you will find a reasonably full listing of their various battery options and their physical sizes and connection types and placement here -

http://www.yuasaeurope.com/images/u...y_Application_and_Specification_Catalogue.pdf

This should allow you to identify compatible alternatives - generally the first letter of a battery model simply identifies the battery manufacturer - so a YTX12-BS from Yuasa should be physically interchangeable with a CTX12-BS from the MotoBatt Brand. Whether they will be of equal quality is however a matter for endless debate...

Take care

SkiMad

5. 86 VFR750 budget bike

86 VFR750 budget bike New Member

United States
    Any suggestions for a battery in my 86 vfr750

I had a small liquid battery and I'm putting together a second bike I want to use a gel cell or age just not sure what the biggest is, I want more juice than I had before

6. 2Wheel Drift

2Wheel Drift New Member

United States
    Map
    As much as we avoid cheap Chinese junk, I put a Chinese Scorpion battery(YT12C) in my '86 VFR in 2009 when I started to restore it. It is a heavier duty battery than others it seems and still working perfect. I would prefer a Yuasa but this seems just as durable. Yuasa only recommends the wet battery for this bike which goes back to 1968 in some Honda bikes. The Scorpion is a direct replacement for it and perfect fit. I faithfully keep all my batteries charged though. One battery in my 2004 CRF250X lasted until this year. I think I would use this battery again if it needed replacing. A battery that has lasted 7 years seems as good as any brand battery.

7. NormK

NormK New Member

Never had any joy with those gel type batteries, I don't think they like the way a motorcycle charging system works. Best ones I have found over the last few years is the Motorbatt

8. 2Wheel Drift

2Wheel Drift New Member

United States
    Map
    NormK, What do you think makes the Motorbatt different than other gel cell batteries? I want the best battery I can find for my bikes and have looked at these before. My battery is charging perfectly, for now. I never see any scientific evidence but lots of gut feelings or personal experience about things like this. Gut feeling can be good though. Virtually every time someone has a battery problem it is related to a bad ground wire or other problems and still blame the battery.

9. NormK

NormK New Member

I don't have a clue as to why the Motorbatts are better, they just are from my experience and I have probably bought 50 of them over the years. I have had a number of dud gell batteries and would never ever touch one again

10. 2Wheel Drift

2Wheel Drift New Member

United States
    Map
    Man that is a huge amount of batteries!! The Motobatt are AGM also though. I may have to consider them someday. Have any Motobatts failed on you yet? If yes, how long have they lasted?

Jasn Strashek likes this.
  11. NormK

NormK New Member

Yes I have had 3 fail on me, but when I returned them it was proven they were old stock from somewhere and they were replaced without question. Another 2 have failed but that was operator error where the owner has left the ignition on for a few weeks and then wonders why the battery is buggered. Still trying to work out how I can fit a lanyard around his arm so when he gets off the bike the ignition will be cut

12. NormK

NormK New Member

Interesting thing with the ones that failed, they came from different outlets 2 from one place and the third from another place

13. 2Wheel Drift

2Wheel Drift New Member

United States
    Map
    I see Motobatt's have bigger plates and the brass double poles are a good idea for accessories. They look like the only sealed battery I have found for the RZ350 also. They look well built but I know what you mean about some people can neglect and ruin any battery. Thanks for the info.

14. slovcan

slovcan New Member

Canada
    Annapolis Valley, NS, Canada - IBA #63720
    I've had a MotoBatt in my Trophy for about 3-1/2 years now. It is the best battery I have ever had. The 4 terminals add great versatility for connecting the accessories and additional chassis ground. The charging system is borderline for a big sport-tourer having only a 25 amp alternator. It is almost at max capacity every time I run the bike. I don't keep it on a maintainer, either. I do ride year round, but since I retired, it can sometimes sit for a month in the winter. Sometimes I will put a 1 amp charger on it for 12 hrs to top it up then.

I read a test report on batteries before I decided on it (done by a bike website, not a manufacturer or seller). They tested it and some other big name batteries like Scorpion, Westco, an Odyssey and another one. Here are the Parts 1 & 2 of the test https://web.archive.org/web/2010121....com/cafe/index.cfm?page=topic&topicID=157926 & https://web.archive.org/web/2015061....com/cafe/index.cfm?page=topic&topicID=176271 . Anyway, one of the tests involved connecting a standard halogen headlight to it to see how long it would still start a bike (or just how long it would keep the light on?). The MotoBatt light stayed on an hour or more longer than some of the others. That is an old article now and some of the pictures and tables have disappeared, but the text will still explain the tests and results.

Cheers,
    Glenn

15. 2Wheel Drift

2Wheel Drift New Member

United States
    Map
    That is a very good, extensive shootout even without seeing the tables or pix. It is amazing that any of these little batteries could repeatedly start a V10 engine also! It is too bad they did not add a conventional battery to the test also. I wonder why they did not test Yuasa? That is like the standard OEM.

Now if someone could come up with a Lithium battery test like this some day.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2016