ECU flash done by Don Guhl discussion.

Discussion in '7th Generation 2010-Present' started by Bas, Nov 30, 2014.

1. Bas

Bas New Member

I had this one running at VFRD until an unknowing moderator killed it twice, so I start it again here.
    I hope that is ok by the moderators, if not please delete is.

--------------------------------------------
    Hi guy's,

When you write Don Guhl from Guhl Motors for flashing, this is the response you get:

I have let Don flash my VFR1200F (manual) and for me the flash was worth it.

Few things to remember when doing this:

1. The ECU is the little back box located between the airbox and the steering, it's about 10 x 15 x2 cm in size, below is a sample picture:

ecu-flashing.jpg

2. Put a paper with it stating the following: Name / Adress / PHONE!!! / Email, Don will phone you when the ECU is received and most of the time the caller-id isn't shown, so make sure you can receive those calls.

3. When export the ECU, outside USA only, make sure you mark it: TEMPORARY EXPORT and product-description SOFTWARE UPDATE, if you forget this you probably pay VAT and/or import taxes again.

4. Send your goods insured AND with tracking, else it's hard to prove if it got lost, and mail the tracking number to Don as well.

5. Beware the shipping costs, from e.g. Europe is mostly between 40~50 Euro to ship it to Don and about 75 USD to get it back.

6. If you didn't receive a call from Don after it has arrived, then call him yourself 2 to 3 days later, you could have missed his call for some reason, don't call if your shipment didn't arrive yet.

Mine was a HISS ECU, and there is no need to worry about HISS, his flash does not impact the HISS system.

Also, if you have some sort of restriction in place, he can remove it and put it to full power (for racing only as usual)

What he does with the ECU is not nessesary street legal and Don does not warrant it being street legal.

It's up to you if you use it or not. In Europe you are not allowed to modify mappings as it won't be legal anymore, yet most do it (Powercommander or something else like a Don-flash).

Don can implement PC5 maps that match your configuration, if you are unsure of simply don't know: don't worry, Don will help you selecting/decide the best map for your configuration.

You are unhappy with your flash/map, no problem either: Don warrants the flash and will reflash it for free but the shipping-costs are always on your expense.

I have had a lot of talks with Don, never met him, but he's a very nice guy and knows his stuff.....once he's talking it's hard to end the conversation as he's a bike-enthosiast just like us.

If you let him talk, you will talk for hours about bikes with him :eagerness:

I'm not starting this topic about Pro's and Cons of Don his flashing, but just a place to talk about the flash and what you liked of hated about it, as well as how good your flash worked for you.

Or how fast your turn-around was.

To my knowledge, Guhl Motors is the only one that can flash this ECU, some claim to be able to do it but if you Google for it, not a single person reports that it worked.

Website of Guhl motors: http://www.guhlmotors.com/

For proof of people in Europe (dutch sorry) have done the flash and are every happy with it: http://www.vfroc.nl/forumVFR/index.php?showtopic=24547&p=381465 (Don gave away a free flash!)

This flash will turn your machine into the bike you wanted to have when you bought it, not the way you got it from Honda as their programming is terrible.

How big is the change, this an old movie from 0-180KM/H before the flash:

http://youtu.be/Xv7lE57VSfU

Here is one after the flash, 0-150KM/H due to weather limitations and TC started to kick in, this is a DCT 2012, however the 2010 does the same :congratulatory:

[video=youtube_share;Y8ddVPrK40s]http://youtu.be/Y8ddVPrK40s[/video]

Ridem32 likes this.
  2. E.SLC.

E.SLC. New Member

United States
    Map
    I used his service for that price and it was as promised. It took him one day only.

3. Bas

Bas New Member

Well took 2 weeks from Europe, but it worked far better then expected and was worth every penny.
    I wanted to have my wife her CBR1000RR flashed by Don, but he refused due to her too low riding skills.
    He had a long talk over the phone with her and decided that: She should not flash.
    Not because she is a woman, but because the has her license just 2 years, too short to run that bike without limitations and extra power.
    I can't agree more with Don, as I don't want her see killed.
    Maybe next year, when she is confident she can handle the bike and feels there is power to be gained extra, she is far from that at the moment.

4. Normand

Normand New Member

Canada
    I emailed Don, twice in the last 2 weeks, noanswer, he must be very busy.
    Tha question i asked was if he could add traction control with the refflash on a 2010 standard vfr1200.

5. E.SLC.

E.SLC. New Member

United States
    Map
    Try calling him. I got him on the phone two times. It's easier that way.

6. Bas

Bas New Member

I have found that his email has a weird spamfilter, better use gmail to contact him, works perfectly.

As for the extra function, this question has been asked before and is not possible to add to the programming at this moment as far as I know.

7. cornerexit

cornerexit New Member

I can tell you that answer is no, and more or less impossible. You'd need different parts. The 2012 Traction control is rudimentary also. You'd be better off getting a Bazzaz fuel control and their Traction Control.

8. dynajohn

dynajohn New Member

Map
    Correct it cannot be added to your ECU with a re-flash. I turn the TC off on my 2013 unless I am on a wet slick road. I will say it is better than nothing in the rain but just barely. The Honda TC also puts a stop to wheelys which is a bummer.

9. Bas

Bas New Member

I don't even want TC, in fact they can remove ABS for me too, but sadly that isn't possible.
    I always done without, ABS is hindering me in the braking feeling, as I learned to ride/drive without and made many emergency stops in the wet without over-breaking.
    Heck in my days ABS and TC wasn't even invented.

10. motorn

motorn New Member

I've done enough reading on the reflash.I've finally pulled my ecu out and boxed it up. I'm sending it to Don after Xmas. I won't be able to post my results till spring though. Im looking forward to the improvement.

11. Bas

Bas New Member

Did you got it back by now? If so, how does it run now?

12. E.SLC.

E.SLC. New Member

United States
    Map
    I got mine back after Don Guhl re-flash and it is a different bike!!!
    The throttle response is instant and there is no fueling issues at all

Ridem32 likes this.
  13. Bas

Bas New Member

Same here. I love the bike after this.

Ridem32 likes this.
  14. motorn

motorn New Member

I sent mine to Don today. I feel like a kid at x-mas.,waiting for santa. Looking forward to spring

15. Bas

Bas New Member

Are you jumping up an down yet? Most kids do :smileyfb:

16. E.SLC.

E.SLC. New Member

United States
    Map
    You will be really happy when you get it back next day or two.
    Let us know what you think after you install it.

Do you have 2 VFR's 1200?

17. motorn

motorn New Member

I
    I will be when I start it up after the reflash

18. motorn

motorn New Member

If your asking me E.SLC, I just have one 1200. Unfortunately I have to wait till spring to try it. To much ice and snow in Manitoba right now.
    I'm sending my panels for custom paint on Friday, so I'm really pumped for the first ride. I'll try get some pics up when its done. Although not great with computers, so I'm not sure how to post pics.
    I also decatted the exaust so I'm hoping for more power also.

19. Weven

Weven New Member

Australia
    Map
    Hi all new from Australia :peaceful: I would like to do a decat then get a Don G reflash. I have a GPR can and use 95RON fuel. Can somebody recommend what tune to install. Thanks Steve

20. Bas

Bas New Member

Did you have a look at the maps for powercommander? As he can flash those in your ECU.
    Else ask Dynojohn, he has a great deal of experience with custom maps.