Photos needed of tri point on 6th gen OEM hard bags

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by northwood, Dec 13, 2014.

1. northwood

northwood New Member

United States
    Map
    Hey guys,

I am trying to put together a set of used hard bags on an 06. I seem to be missing something. Can someone post photos of the point where are three braces meet behind the tire? Behind the license plate in front and on the inside? Mucho thanks!

2. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    I will take care of this for you latsr this morning. I might be able to find the installation instructions too for you. Hold tight.

3. Dead Eye Dick AKA Carpy

Dead Eye Dick AKA Carpy New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
  4. northwood

northwood New Member

United States
    Map
    I have the instructions, I don't have the rear fender. I need one. This is probably why I am so confused. In the writeup that guy did, you don't use all four mounting holes on the tri connection point behind the tire? You only use the two?

5. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    I was going to say you have it all there. Would you still like the photos taken? I am not quite sure how your install will work without the fender, or at least the sub structure of that fender. What I experienced mounting mine, which were a set of used OEM, was that bolts did not fit unless all the bolts were fitted loose, then tightened up after all bolts were on place.

6. northwood

northwood New Member

United States
    Map
    Yup. Pretty sure I need a rear fender. I may be missing some collars though too. I need to take my computer out to compare.

7. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    K . Soon.

8. Arnzinator

Arnzinator New Member

United States
    Map
    Edited: For the OP...You may need to find the plate/ bracket that attaches to the side brackets with 2 bolts per side. You don't necessarily need a rear fender unless you want it. My bike came with hardbags & I removed the fender (plastic) from day one.

9. northwood

northwood New Member

United States
    Map
    Hmmmm..... Well. Since I am stuck right now with the bags. I am installing the trunk.

I installed the upper deck. With pieces 8 and 6 below.

[​IMG]

And also, Pieces 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, and 16 here. Is it suppose to still be loose once torque down? I can slide it port-starboard. What gives Honda. Probably the installer. These and the bag instructions are some of the most confusing things I have seen come from Mother Honda.

[​IMG]

10. Dead Eye Dick AKA Carpy

Dead Eye Dick AKA Carpy New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    That is how it is meant to be. I believe Honda refer to.it ad "Floating".
    Have a look on you tube for Honda Floating Top Box and all will be revealed.
    D.E.D.

11. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    OK. First things first. The bike is dirty. Get over it. I have.

You should understand that my fender has been cut back to a point just above the lower edge of the licence plate. (Mistake if you ride in the wet)

MC 1.jpg
    Bolts "A" if my memory serves me are spacer fanged. They go through a rubber grommet, through the assembly that houses the licence plate light and Licence plate bracket, through the three point bracket "B" through the plastic fender and through a steel bracket "D" on the underside that you will see later. I don't remember if part "B" came with the kit, or was already on the bike.

MC 2.jpg
    This photo is direct on from the rear. The bolts connecting to the two side rails are hidden behind that winged portion of the licence plate bracket.

MC 3.jpg
    This was taken from the right side, from down low looking up underneath, pointing a little towards the rear. See where bolts "A" come through. "C" is the power cord to the licence plate light. "D" is a heavy metal bracket. Mine was already there from the OEM bike, but I think another bracket came with the Hard bag kit. If someone has completely removed your fender, that part may be missing but it is definitely needed.

MC 4.jpg
    Photo taken from left side low position looking up into the underneath of the fender. Rear of the bike is to the right. Bolts "E" secured that bracket "D" to the bike.

I hope this helps. Any questions just ask.

12. northwood

northwood New Member

United States
    Map
    Randy! Thank you Thank you Thank you! Looks like I have everything but the bolts and nuts for "A" (in your photo) and the special long flanged collars + nuts that go with them. I would need these longer ones. What length are those bolts? The rest I can figure out. Except maybe the flanged collar length and size. Not sure how to get new ones of those.

13. northwood

northwood New Member

United States
    Map
    Interesting! Well that makes more sense. Are the reviews good or bad?

14. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    I will try taking themm off tonight or in the morning and see what I can do for you. I would think the bolts flanges etc are available from Honda. 25 year mortgage required to acquire. Givi should have them cause I think they make the OEM for Honda. But if you know sizes, a substantial hardware shop should have something.

15. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    My installation without the rear mud guard
    [​IMG]

16. Outboard John

Outboard John New Member

That sure looks purdy Long:eagerness: maybe that picture will get Randy to wash and polish his bike! LOL, kidding........
    John

17. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    I prefer to drink hot totties when it is cold. Not turn my driveway into an NHL rink running watereover it. Lol:asshole:

18. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    OK northwood.

The bolt is a 15/64 X 2" 10mm hex bolt. In metric, it is 5'95 X 5 cm. I suspect you can't get a 9.95 bolt so I suggest a 6 mm X 5cm long bolt would be perfect. I used a bolt gauge and this seemed to fit the best. The fit in the 1/4" gauge hole in the gauge was far to sloppy to my liking. Of course you need the corresponding bolt.

The flange will naturally be the appropriate diameter hole in it for the bolt to fit through. The flange is 1" (2.5cm) in length.

A rubber grommet fits inside the holes in the bracket. I don't know the details on that grommet. Mine is rather weathered and starting to crack. To remove it would likely mean I will need to replace it. Sorry....not going there.. The flange fits through the grommet and the bolt through the flange to the underside of the fender for nut to attach. The flange is not threaded.

If you need anything else, drop a line. I won't put mine back together for a couple days just in case you need me to dig deeper.

19. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    I used all four bolts. Why someone would only use two when the thing was designed and prepared with four is beyond me. I think using the four as opposed to two, probably adds a lot of strength and rigidity to the saddlebags, Just remember, fit everything quite loose, then tighten all the bolts once all are installed. Otherwise you are going to be uttering words that will embarrass Howard Stern.