Need a chain and gear recommendation

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by Scoooterpuff, Dec 17, 2014.

1. Scoooterpuff

Scoooterpuff New Member

United States
    Hello all,

So winter is when my bike usually goes under the knife and I do all the cleaning, repairs, tweaks and such.

along with restoring and doing some mods, I am in need of a new chain and while im in there I would like to gear the bike. I already hit top speed on the bike and yeah its fun but a little faster and a little more use of the gears would be nice. Not stunting on it so I don't mind losing a little low end TQ.

My goal is to gear for speed. How many teeth should I add/remove for the front and rear? What chain should I go for as well? Stock replacement chain or are there different lengths to go for?

2. FJ12rydertoo

FJ12rydertoo Member

United States
    Map
    So are you wanting more/better acceleration? Taller gearing won't necessarily give you a higher top speed since the bike doesn't have the horsepower to pull higher gearing.

I'm running a 45 tooth rear and stock countershaft sprocket and stock length chain. Works very well for me.

I got my last DID chain from Bombay Motorsports on Ebay: about $105 for DID stock length.

3. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Go check out www.gearingcommander.com This might help you play with different sprocket sizes and see what that will get you. Going larger on the front is a kin to going smaller on the rear and vice-verse. Just be cognizant that going too small or large on the front can cause problems. On my Duc I went +3 rear so my off the line was improved but the top end gets a little buzzy now that the RPMs are higher for the same speeds as before.

4. Pliskin

Pliskin New Member

United States
    Map
    LOL I don't know the right sprocket combo for you, but makes me laugh thinking that topping out in the 145mph range isn't enough for daily riding.

Don't forget you'll need a SpeedoHealer so you really know how fast your going. None of that inflated speed BS.

5. Scoooterpuff

Scoooterpuff New Member

United States
    Well I topped it at 156 and I rolled the throttle back before i got into the sketchy side of the tach.

I really appreciate the site recommendation. I feel like im shifting too often as the gear ratios are rather close but this isnt an R1 (which shifts into second as I am going into third, same speed).

My goal is for a higher top speed. I will take a look at the recommended chain and the gear site provided. Than

6. Pliskin

Pliskin New Member

United States
    Map
    Sorry for implying you were puttering along at a mere 145.

Was that reading on a speedo or GPS? If on speedo, you can expect a 7-10% variance down in actual mph.

Take a look at www.sprocketcenter.com when it comes time to buy.

7. Scoooterpuff

Scoooterpuff New Member

United States
    haha it was on the speedo.

I like speed. This bike is meant to play which is a nice increase from my first bike (85 nighthawk 650sc). I am going to take a look at that site too, thank you.

Yeah, i speed here n there. highway only. I dont cut people off or do that risky of stuff. speeding is a risk enough but i love it. I was able to beat a slightly modded 2010 mustang GT on my nighthawk and I outran it. I've ridden my buds 08 R1 and that engine should go into this chassis and ill be happy because the vfr has superb comfort over the R1 IMO. I will make a thread when i begin the fun. This bike was bought late summer with a busted front exh. manifold tube that was hack welded, broken muffler, a shotty plastics kit shottily put half on (missing the sides and front exh. cover piece but whole kit is in my garage.) and i need to replace the oil pan as it is missing the lower fairing tab mount (yes it was down) but so far ive done some work. she has a new rear tire and im doing gear, chain, rear caliper rebuild, rear MC rebuild, full brake flush, front pads, front tire, pair sys. removal, new muffler, already have a delkevic system on (did that week one of owning it) and i plan to either use the plastics I have now, or pony up for something else. stock color is the yellow. maybe keep it or make it orange, dunno. But like every winter my bike gets torn down and made better for coming season. ive been wanting the vfr since i bought my nighthawk.

8. FJ12rydertoo

FJ12rydertoo Member

United States
    Map
    I must have missed what year it is.

9. TNRabbit

TNRabbit New Member

Map

If it's yellow, a good guess would be a 2000~

10. Scoooterpuff

Scoooterpuff New Member

United States
    Yes. It is a 2000.
    Previous owner neglected this one but I won't.
    He rode the bike for 3 years with the leaking head pipe and muffler. When I test drove it the poor thing had little or no power from the leaks and the ecu trying to compensate for the leak.
    Also came with a DanMoto X1 pipe. If anyone has ever seen or heard one they know what i mean by LOUDEST THING EVER!!! On the highway though man I sound like a big block open header beast.
    I will make a thread of the winter progress with before and afters. I take pics of everything.

11. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    Bike has been neglected by PO and you want to go how fast? It has been a pleasure knowing you.:rip::Cry:

12. FJ12rydertoo

FJ12rydertoo Member

United States
    Map
    My guess is that it is already geared higher than stock since it will hit 156 indicated and is at redline. Most stock bikes will not hit redline in top gear. That thing sounds way under geared, so if it was showing 156, you probably were actually doing about 130-135 maybe.

Count teeth on both sprockets and go from there. Post back with what you've got.

13. Scoooterpuff

Scoooterpuff New Member

United States
    Haha well I definately need to count teeth. Yeah cluster read 156 and i was 500 rpm from red. I made sure to go over everything prior to even riding it fast. has all new exhaust and stock can, 02 eliminator, rear tires new and rear pads are new but rear master and caliper are in need of a rebuild. I know my risks and my consequences but my knowledge and abilities keep me comforted. If I make a mistake, I take the plunge but im happy I tried it. Riding is my favorite. But anyhoo, we all take stupid risks and I'm not solo in that ride.

I believe this bike is stock gearing as they definately look stock. And yeah, PO neglected her but I take superb care of everything I own.
    You should see my front wheel fender. From the wind it rubbed on the tire and broke a chunk off the tip the time i topped it out. Crappy ass fender though so I just laughed.
    I took a look at the gear site that gives out the speed to each gear and so on and it looks pretty straight forward. Still think I may be okay on a stock chain with maybe adding one tooth to the rear. I will take a look when I am off work. I also need to take a look at getting a spanner wrench for adjusting the chain. I didnt get the toolbag with the bike. But I got a luggage rack and bag to go with it! Compromises, haha. PO did have a nice suzuki 1100 from like 78-9 but that was him and his dads baby. This bike was his "ugly commuter" but it has low miles and works just fine. Purs like a V4.

14. V4toTour

V4toTour New Member

United States
    where do you live that you're doing constant 156 speed runs? I'm assuming out in the middle of south dakota or something?

15. FJ12rydertoo

FJ12rydertoo Member

United States
    Map
    I don't think he's doing 156 mph, more like around 130 would be my guess. If he's within 500 rpm of redline in top gear and it shows 156 on the speedometer, then the gearing is no where near stock. If it was stock, then 156 mph would be around 140 to 145, but the rpm would be a lot lower than 500 rpm from redline.

16. Scoooterpuff

Scoooterpuff New Member

United States
    I live in Illinois and pulled that on the highway. Keep in mind I am slow compared to a geared R1 doing 178. I just like the thrill.

I am beginning to think I inflated my original 156mph and perhaps that is what I read the top was but I think i did somewhere in the 140-144 range. I was asking my buddy what I told him. I confuse myself sometimes. Either way I am surprised somewhat at how many think that is a fast speed. These bikes are no snails and I enjoy it. When it was 33 deg. out in November I was able to do a 32 mi. trip doing a constant 120 all the way home at 3AM (i dont drink and ride. So i had monster and water) and those crappy mirrors i have on kept folding in.

But either way, I really wanna go home and count teeth and see whats stock and not because I keep reading of people saying im not stock. If thats the case then still, I feel like the gears in the trans are pretty close to each other and I dont mind losing a little low end grunt to get a little more top end speed.

Where could I go to get the right spanner wrench for adjusting my chain? I have the full paper manual and specs but I do need that tool.

17. V4toTour

V4toTour New Member

United States
    well, if this is what you want to be doing honestly the vfr isn't really the machine. You'd probably be better of selling it towards a honda blackbird.

18. NormK

NormK New Member

I would consider you go home and count your teeth............ I'm thinking it might be an idea to count the ones in your mouth because they may not be there too long at this rate, riding a bike at speeds like that, that you admit the PO did no maintenance on, leaves plenty of thing to go wrong at speed

19. Scoooterpuff

Scoooterpuff New Member

United States
    going top speed isnt my daily. its just fun. But honestly guys take these bikes on tracks and romp on them much harder than I can so to each their own, haha.

Back to the topic of the original questions about gearing and chain and the spanner wrench. I think the manual specifies a part number for the spanner, but anyone have an idea where I might find one faster than sifting through the maintenance chapter of the book?

20. V4toTour

V4toTour New Member

United States
    especially at 3 am. overrun the headlights much? wildlife says hi.

I can't preach much, as I've done the occasional speed run out in the desert. Over 130 everything's a blur, and honestly riding in a straight line is ZzzzZzzzz even at those speeds.

Find a twisty road with grippy tires and cook off those chicken strips.