US National lane sharing petition

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by vfrcapn, Dec 19, 2014.

1. vfrcapn

vfrcapn Member

United States
    Map
  2. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Did it.........

3. tinkerinWstuff

tinkerinWstuff Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map
    Signed it even if it does fly in the face of states rights. I could only support the fed trying to implement such a thing if it was on federal highways. I don't know that the fed has the authority to do this anywhere other than on federally funded highways. They couldn't even force states to set speed limits or seat belts without threatening withholding money.

4. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    Man. If that is instituted in the other states, where cagers haven't a clue about lane splitting, I see a few deaths arising out of this. I can't vote regardless. I am an alien.

The problem I see them running into with this, as I understand it, is that the reason it is permitted in California, is that there is no specific law that prohibits the move itself. Where the issue will arise in the rest of the states, is that there is likely some law somewhere in the books, that prohibits two vehicles from occupying a lane at a given spot at the same time or something like that.

I wish them luck, because I support lane splitting. I just fear the tragedies that are likely to arise if they are successful.

5. tinkerinWstuff

tinkerinWstuff Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map
    The cool thing is, in a free society, people can choose to take that risk or not.

6. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    I edited my post while you hit the send button Dave

7. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Lane sharing already exists in a shitload of places in the form of two or more vehicles in the same lane. Not real smart since the lanes in the center of main drags many times have two vehicles going in opposite directions. In some of the boonies those center lanes are use to park big rigs so they can offload stuff.

The potential for head on collisions in areas where these lanes exist and the posted speed limit is many time 55mph, has to be high.

IMO, the term "sharing" sucks. Call it what it is, "lane splitting."

8. Badbilly

United States

Also in a free society, if it scares one to do something like lane splitting, nobody says it has to be done.

Thank You Mr. Jefferson and Mr. Hamilton.

9. GreyVF750F

GreyVF750F Member

United States
    Map
    I did it and copied your post to CBRXX.com also.

10. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    I signed it! A few select few do it down here when the bumper to bumper grinds it to a hault. We do it here, personally, I won't come to a full "Hail-Mary" stop on the high-ways, end of story. I really don't see all that many bikes during my weekday commutes anyway, they seem to come out in droves during the weekend. Who-Knows...

11. 74ullc

74ullc New Member

This is what Texas says....

The law doesn't specifically say one way or the other, but there are several statutes that may come to bear depending upon the circumstances, i.e. right of way, obligation to drive in a single lane, signal intention, passing with safety, etc. Motorcycles are considered equally as cars regarding traffic laws, so the single lane, signal intention and other statutes in the Transportation Code could come in to play.

The main statute that makes "lane splitting" illegal is Transportation Code Section 545.060, entitled "Driving on Roadway Laned for Traffic."
    An operator on a roadway divided into two or more clearly marked lanes for traffic:
    shall drive as nearly practical entirely within a single lane; and
    may not move from the lane unless that movement can be made safely.

https://www.txdps.state.tx.us/msb/msbfaqs.htm

I would like it to be legal to 'filter', move to the front at a stop light. When I was in Europe this seemed to be the best way bikes had to get ahead of the congestion. Light turns green and the bikes are gone so they don't get in the way of the slower cars at all. I can see this in traffic jams in city's also if the traffic is moving slow or stopped.....but not if the traffic is moving at the speed limit or very close. So is that what lane splitting actually is? It's not a permission slip to fly between cars at a speed over the limit right?

12. vfrcapn

vfrcapn Member

United States
    Map
    Earlier this year the California Highway Patrol published a list of common sense guidelines to lane split responsibly and safely. Then an a$$hat got pissed off, complained and the lawyers got involved.

http://www.chp.ca.gov/programs/lanesplitguide.html

The CA DMV also got shut down.

http://www.latimes.com/business/autos/la-fi-hy-dmv-lane-splitting-controversy-20140729-story.html

Here are the general guidelines the CHP recommended:

http://lanesplittingislegal.com/lan...ghway-patrol-issues-lane-splitting-guidelines

Lane splitting in a safe and prudent manner is not illegal in the state of California. The term lane splitting, sometimes known as lane sharing, filtering or white-lining, refers to the process of a motorcyclist riding between lanes of stopped or slower moving traffic or moving between lanes to the front of traffic stopped at a traffic light.

Motorcyclists who are competent enough riders to lane split, should follow these general guidelines if choosing to lane split.

1. Travel at a speed that is no more than 10 MPH faster than other traffic – danger increases at higher speed differentials.
    2. It is not advisable to lane split when traffic flow is at 30 mph or faster – danger increases as overall speed increases.
    3. Typically, it is more desirable to split between the #1 and #2 lanes than between other lanes.
    4. Consider the total environment in which you are splitting, including the width of the lanes, size of surrounding vehicles, as well as roadway, weather, and lighting conditions.
    5. Be alert and anticipate possible movements by other road users.

The Four R’s or “Be-Attitudes” of Lane Splitting:
    Be Reasonable, be Responsible, be Respectful, be aware of all Roadway and traffic conditions.​

It's also important to note their publicity campaign was aimed equally at cage drivers, to make them more aware and educate them about the legality. But that's done now and we can all go back to sticking our heads in the sand.

13. Badbilly

United States
    What is and what ain't is what is. Only in California is lane splitting legal.

All the rest is up to the cops and the courts.

In Europe generally, bikes will go to the head of the pack at stops. In the US its done but there is "always" the dude in a Yugo who wants to take a run at a full litre GSXR at a stop light.

14. Gearwhine

Gearwhine New Member

New member - apologies for lack of proper introduction but thought I had something to contribute here. Lane splitting is legal here in New Zealand but it's not widely known or used so I have a user perspective on what it's like when motorists are taken by surprise. The fear of carnage is overstated. It's not a problem if you are sensible. People often ask if it's dangerous. What about when people change lanes, they ask? Well from behind you can see when that's about to happen - even if they don't signal - so you back off and let them do it. If the car beside you starts to move remember you are passing and you are gone before they get close. Very few people swerve across lanes unexpectedly And if they are a swerver you can spot their erratic driver from far enough back to avoid them.

It's a bit nerve-wracking at first but you soon get good at reading traffic. I used to put high beams on and indicators. Useful as some drivers move over but, after improving at threading the gap, I rarely bother now. As to legality it's just not outlawed here - which sounds similar to the situation in California. You can't find a reference to it in the road code for motorcyclists here which is why even a lot of motorcyclists don't so it. However the new 'competency-based training' scheme which allows you to get a full bike licence faster by going through Govt approved trainers, does refer to it specifically in its syllabus.

You are assessed on 'Progression'. This is passing between two lanes of stationary traffic, which it calls 'Filtering', and two lanes of moving traffic, or 'Lane Splitting'. I think that's a useful distinction between the two terms. So there's at least tacit govt approval there in that the syllabus is published by the Ministry of Transport. Mind you I still find I do it less around cops as the actual rules governing passing manoeuvres allow for interpretation and a cop's view might be different to mine. And you are not allowed to overtake in the same lane on the wrong side of the car which means in practice while lane splitting I may just the wrong side of the line 50% of the time. I don't want to provoke a cop having a bad day.

Cheers from sunny Auckland.

Sent when I should be working.

15. zombie

zombie New Member

Canada
    I wish we could do it legally here in Canada, it would certainly save a lot of time commuting.

16. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    It does...drive my truck to work 1 1/4...1/2 hrs...40 miles.......bike 35 to 40 minutes.....but mentally drained, always watching, planning and anticipating gagers trying to take me out. Crawl when splitting threw stopped traffic. Is it worth it, hell ya. LA traffic sucks big time, god forbid there's someone changing a flat.....looky loo's

17. Badbilly

United States
    There still exists controversy in California over what is law and what is not law. The term in California, is lane splitting. All manner of euphemisms and synonyms can be employed but until the actual law is stated in full, it looks as if NZ is the only place on the planet where a specific law is in effect.

What would be great is to actually see how this law or set of laws apply as legislated as opposed to "explained".

The other factor is that until one has ridden or driven the freeway system any time in SoCal from 1960 until yesterday, it is an experience not to be missed.

Since this body of laws exists in NZ it might be a suitable model for more universal acceptance here in the US.

18. Gearwhine

Gearwhine New Member

Just need to clarify. I was careful to avoid saying "a specific law is in effect".
    Having spotted the explanation in the training syllabus I googled the govt website for other references to those terms without success and then asked the Ministry of Transport for clarification. After waiting several days they came back and said something to the effect that the laws on overtaking safely applied.
    Apparently there's nothing specific in the legislation - but if you can't master this skill, you'll be marked down by govt approved trainers.
    As others have said, it is practised much more in the UK and Europe. But as traffic gets worse here more people are going back to bikes - still not as many as I'd expect as we can also ride in bus lanes.
    But yeah it saves a heap of time. Worrying about traffic jams just isn't an issue on two wheels. I reckon on my longer 25 kay commute I could easily drift past 500 cars on the motorway.

Sent when I should be working.

19. Badbilly

United States
    Got it! Thanks..

I think that somewhere in the conclusion we will find that we could swap our bureaucrats for yours and vice-versa and none would be the wiser..

Cheers..

20. mofo

mofo New Member

United States
    Map
    Signed it so the rest of the country can enjoy the benefits of this practice the way we do it in California.
    Sure is a pain when I travel out of state and are not allowed to do it.