Can't pull the battery

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by bagpipes, Jan 2, 2015.

1. bagpipes

bagpipes New Member

I'm only posting this here since I figured the mech's in this section must have come across this at some point.

A good friend of mine owns a towing company and has now become the new "owner by default" of a '93 VFR. (there's a reason it wasn't picked up by the owner, too much owing in storage and it has been neglected). So, it was running fine when it was stopped by the local police and then towed but, it has some type "hot wire" method behind the ignition to start it. The ignition, fuel lock and seat lock have all been punched and can't be turned what so ever. (and there's no keys anyway and no it wasn't stolen)

The bike has been sitting now for about 4 months and the battery has gone flat and I wanted to know if there is a simple way to access the seat cable in order to remove the seat and pull the battery without damaging the seat itself. Granted it needs new locks all around and will no doubt need a solid "once over" mechanically but I believe it only has about 39 000 KM on it and was purring when I heard it back in early September. I don't have access to it at the moment or I would snoop around and see if I could figure it out myself. I'd like to help my buddy out so I figured I'd ask before I tell him to pull it out of "storage" (aka shipping container surrounded by assorted tow yard junk) and plunk it my garage for the winter. I don't want to offer to "fix" something that can't be done so if the seat has to be wrecked or cut off then just say the word and I'll let him make that call. I'd just prefer to know before it sits here in my garage while he makes the decision. (wife won't like that one bit - already commenting about the '02 VFR I just brought home that's parked beside my GS1100)

On the plus side, it's in relatively good cosmetic shape besides the punched locks. The engine sounded great but I'm willing to bet the fluids are original from the PO - he didn't seem too concerned about the locks or giving it up for the cost of storage fees. Anyhow, I just want to get one of my batteries in it and get some fluids changed for him so he can sell it off in good faith as running, as opposed to "buy it at your own risk" and he gets next to nothing. Who knows, maybe it's better to part it out but I'd rather not hack the seat off only to find out it's perfect besides the locks. (maybe I'll buy it, who knows.......)

Anyhow, any info / comments would be appreciated and Happy New Year

2. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    Yes, indeedie, you can snag and pull the cable that releases the seat using a variety of suitable tools. Look just above the lock, and pull the cable end with pliers to release. :congratulatory:

Wiring diagram should tell you how to operate ignition.

Advise you to somehow get that bike out of the towman's crude hands asap b4 he ruins it !! You'd positively LOVE the bike, so do what you gotta !!

Parting out a rare bike that has the full potential to cruise the roads again is a form of sacrilege and violates several ethical codes.

Don't underestimate the value of this bike because of it's sordid history. I dare say market on the bike could be between $2900-$3200 if it runs well and has a transferable title.

3. bagpipes

bagpipes New Member

Thanks for the reply, that's exactly what I was hoping for. As for the current status of the bike, it's not being mistreated aside from not being winterized. It's away in a container but at the far end and is now blocked by all of the assorted crap that tends to need shelter from the snow and ice also. There's nothing on it / close to it. I can see it from the door it's just going to be a chore to move everything else out of the way to get it out.

As for the title, it's clear. As for the parting out of the bike, that would be a last resort. Yes it runs but I have no idea how well or for how long. I've heard it and it sounded good but so have other bikes I've driven. The mileage seemed low so I'd be curious if the dash has been swapped out - too many unknowns to say at this point. I'm just glad that the seat is no issue because I want to get it here, get it going and do a thorough check of the machine ........... and maybe buy it. (I know what he want's for it and it's a no-brainer. I just have to justify it to my wife with copious amounts of something non bike related. I'm going to Vegas in a few weeks for a buddy's stag too so that won't help much. And I just bout the 02 VFR so that's not helping me either right now.

4. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    Probably will need a good carb cleanin b4 it runs well again.

5. bagpipes

bagpipes New Member

The carbs will be one of the first things on the list of stuff to do - given that the owner doesn't want it now - so I bought it. I picked it up for $100 plus the cost of ownership swap. Clean title, full plastics and the 8 spoke rear wheel (I think $100 was a good investment for a running 91 with all of that and no indication of major issues besides a lock set) The bike was basically free so this will likely turn into a lengthy restoration / tear down that I can get my kids involved with and maybe teach them a few things while I learn a few more along the way.

It's freaky cold here but today turned out to be a good day anyway. I may pick the bike up next week once the weather warms up and that container can be cleared out without causing frost bite. (thanks again for the info on the seat removal) I'll post some pics when it lands in my garage.

6. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    You will need to post pix of the bike, the shipping container, the tow yard, your kids, wife and any pets you have or the VFR World Picture Police will be depressed.

7. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    Good on ye, man. What that VFR needed was you as the owner. If you can't find the cable down below you can fish for it with a coat hanger between seat bottom and bodywork.

Plainly, the guy you stole that bike from was unusually stupid or independently wealthy and doesn't care.

Forum needs your photos !

8. bagpipes

bagpipes New Member

I will be more than happy to post some pics of the bike and the tow yard / container once it's good to go. I didn't want to seem too anxious after practically throwing the $100 over the counter. I told my buddy I wasn't in a rush to pick it up since he's really the one doing me the favour by unloading it for the cost of the initial tow. He's a great guy and I don't want to put the pressure on him to get it out ASAP in this frigid weather (although I'm dying to get it home now) I think HIS wife however, is anxious to get it out of there so she has a space to park her 4 wheeler again. My wife - well that's another story. (I need to sell my Suzuki and she'll be good with the two VFR's in the garage)

9. bagpipes

bagpipes New Member

I had a look under the seat of my 2002 and it looks like it still may be a task to locate the cable as I can't see a freakin' thing due to the body work. I can't locate a wiring diagram that shows if any wires are routed in that same area but would anyone happen to know? I don't want to start tugging at "cables" only to find out it's actually electrical wiring.

Also, I'm assuming the cable has cable housing on it as well, correct? If so it should at least feel a little more stiff than electrical wires.

As for the owner, he knows what it is but he has far, far too many toys and all are either on four wheels or in the water with big motors out back. He's not interested in bikes at all and he does call me every time he brings one in that the owner doesn't pick up. I missed a call last summer for a yamaha R6 he brought in. It needed a front signal and a good wash. 2011 with 3000 on the clock and he let it go for 900 to another friend of his. I got first call but I didn't answer. All in all he's a good guy, covers his costs on the books and is happy paying it forward. (I am too so it's nice when it come full circle)

Pics will follow when I get it.

10. bagpipes

bagpipes New Member

So, the bike was pulled from its container and I got do a visual “once over” for about 30 mins. It’s not home yet but here’s what I can say so far. Keep in mind I have yet to hear it run since the battery if flat. The “ignition” on will light everything up but the illumination disappears rapidly when I press the start button. It does click, so with that, I’m content with either charging or replacing the battery. The bike is also filthy since it was driven from the truck to the container through a muddy lot. (no big deal)

Negatives.

-plastics have a few cracks here and there but nothing near the mounting areas or anywhere that will cause issues with stability / falling off / blowing in the wind. They’re repairable I think.
    -Two plastic sections are missing. One black piece beside the tank on the throttle side as well as the lower section that sits snug behind the side stand.
    -Center stand. This was an option I think but this bike doesn’t have one although it looks like something has been removed from “down there”
    -ignition has been tampered with in the past and the wires have been spliced onto another ignition which is taped beside the original. This new ignition has also been tampered with so it can be turned with any key or screwdriver.
    -Fuel tank lock and the seat lock have also been wrecked BUT, I’ve already located a new ignition / tank / seat lock set with matching key. (should have those Friday)
    -Fuel tank is missing the rubber grommet / pad on the throttle side. It’s clearly there on the clutch side but I’m almost certain that the SOCK that is currently taking it’s place is not OEM.
    -Seat; the aluminum tape is nice but ……. No
    -Clips and screws for body panels are 50% missing but that’s an easy remedy.
    -Mileage shows 4900km. I’m not buying this completely but I can always ask what the PO claimed when it was registered the last time. (see the positives section as it MAY be actual mileage – fingers crossed)
    -Hindle exhaust has a scuff along the logo but the rest of the can is perfect
    -Left and right controls are different. Odd.
    -Tail section plastics / light / signals are all loose and wobbly likely due to zero screws holding them together.

Positives.

-Besides the dirt, the paint is in great shape with very minimal fading
    -triple clamp looks pristine albeit the ignition is shot BUT, someone must have had a key for this in the past
    -Forks look good and look like they’ve never seen a stone or bug (they are dirty though)
    -Wheels look like new with no signs of impacts or marks of any sort.
    -Frame appears perfect and shiney new. No signs of the bike being dropped or crashed anywhere.
    -Tires look good too despite the mud but will have to be replaced for piece of mind.
    -Fluids are clean but need to be replaced like the tires.

Anyhow, overall I’m pretty happy with the bike. Although I haven’t heard it running, I have no reason to doubt my buddy that he drove it into the container. We just can’t charge it until the seat is off and I’d rather do that properly. NO, it’s not stolen, it is currently registered and will be transferred to my name likely this week or next. (If it was, I wouldn’t be posting this on the net nor would I be bringing it home.)

So, riddle me this, what is the purpose of the hole in the throttle side rear plastic that is oval shaped and just below the middle section of the seat? It appears to be stock as I’ve seen it on many internet pics but I have no idea what it’s for. The other holes / slots directly beside the seat are presumably for the seat cowl …. which I forgot to mention is also missing.

Looking forward to bring her home and giving it some TLC.
    IMG_20150128_163815.jpg IMG_20150128_163833.jpg IMG_20150128_163950.jpg IMG_20150128_164107.jpg IMG_20150128_164535.jpg IMG_20150128_165901.jpg IMG_20150128_172422.jpg IMG_20150128_172725.jpg IMG_20150128_174757.jpg IMG_20150128_163824.jpg IMG_20150128_164017.jpg IMG_20150128_165901.jpg

11. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    Good deal , but don't get so excited to ride that you fail to check oil, coolant, brakes and tire pressure !!! Another mandatory first-ride check is to verify proper charging system output.

Try to find a replacement for the missing centerstand, as it makes working on the bike far easier !

The hole is for inspection of fluid level in rear brake reservoir.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2015
  12. rjgti

rjgti New Member

those controls are correct, my 90 throttle side always fades. a little black chrome brings it right back to the same as the other side

13. bagpipes

bagpipes New Member

Oh have no fear, I won't be riding it until all of that plus a whole lot more is done (as I do with "any new to me" bike / car) To be honest, I have no intentions of riding it this year as it was brought home as a project / quick once over and carb cleaning lesson / tinkering for my kids to learn on with me. I have a 2002 as a driver so I'm in good hands for the summer. All of the fluids on the 91 are clean and "appear" good but they're all being replaced once the weather warms up a little.

SO, the bike is in my garage and I would like to retract my comments about it's good overall condition. As mentioned the locks are all messed up (no big deal as I have new ones already). The problem is, whomever drilled out the tank lock dropped all of the shavings as well as three large chunks of aluminum down into the tank - not to mention assorted fuel payment receipts. Tank needs to come off - and that was the first thing I looked at!! (On the plus side, I did manage to get the seat off very quickly with above directions. Thanks immensely for that. The battery is currently on the charger.)