Center Stand or Pitbull Rear Stand?

Discussion in '7th Generation 2010-Present' started by Rider14, Jan 5, 2015.

1. Rider14

Rider14 New Member

United States
    Map
    Can't decide if I should purchase the OEM center stand or just pick up the Pitbull stand designed for VFR1200's.

Anyone have any thoughts on the matter? What benefit is there to the centerstand when the bike is shaft driven? (e.g., no need to clean/oil chain...)

All input appreciated. Even nonsense! (it is winter here in Chicagoland).

- Dan

2. Arnzinator

Arnzinator New Member

United States
    Map
    I'd want to have the center stand for every day parking situations. Much more stable than the side stand.

3. FJ12rydertoo

FJ12rydertoo Member

United States
    Map
    With no chain you don't really need a centerstand often, and maintenance can be done with the Pit Bull, and, as a added benefit, you don't lose cornering clearance. If it came with one I wouldn't take it off, but I don't think I'd spend the money to buy one to install if it didn't come with one.

I pretty much have to disagree about the center stand being more stable. I've had more bikes fall off center stands than sides tands. With the centerstand, the bike is straight up and only has to tip past the falling point. With the sidestand, the bike has to rise to straight up before going over. Side stand down on a solid surface, and in gear the bike is going nowhere. I had a bike on the centerstand fall over when the small foot sank into the soft asphalt, and the large foot didn't. With the side stand I put something under the stand when necessary. Hard to do that with a center stand. It's actually pretty easy to push a bike over that is on the centerstand. I saw a picture of a line of Ducati's on their sides because one was on a centerstand with a rain cover that caught the wind, instant sail and over it went.

4. Rider14

Rider14 New Member

United States
    Map
    I am leaning towards the Pitbull (no pun intended...)

5. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    Pitbull caN't getcher front wheel up as centerstand can easily !! All u need to know, lad.

6. Rider14

Rider14 New Member

United States
    Map
    Leverage for both should be the same. Exact same pivot point, but regardless, I have access to a fork stem front stand. Buying the Pitbull.

- Dan

Picture a bright blue ball just spinnin, spinnin free...

7. Rider14

Rider14 New Member

United States
    Map
    Bought the center stand and sent back the Pitbull. Same price, weighs only 7 lbs shipped. Another owner told me he grinds pegs before he grinds the stand. Already installed. A few tricks to installing it right, but very easy to lift the bike once installed. No lost lean angle was the difference for me. We'll see if I end up grinding any parts!

- Dan

8. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Soft ground or hot asphalt is not a great place to park a bike using either attached stand. This should be a no brainer for most.. High winds will blow bikes over rain covers or not. Ducatis or not even Harleys or not (preferably not) . We get some high winds on a regular basis in my hood. The major factor is which way the wind is blowing and which way the bike is pointed.

Don't ask me how I know this.

Some sidestands have "feet" some don't. Some dudes have pucks or find a pop can to use as a puck. Going back to that soft ground or hot asphalt scenario, if that sidestand digs in, which way is the bike gonna pitch over?

In an amazing turn of events the optimum solution is found in the latest HD boutique catalog under training wheels.