Aftermarket Heated Grips

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by LeakingLewis, Jan 7, 2015.

1. LeakingLewis

LeakingLewis New Member

United States
    Map
    Since it is impossible to find OEM 6th Gen heated grips what are the best alternatives? I'd like to hear what is the best as far as ease of installation, aesthetics, and performance.

2. JimGregory

JimGregory New Member

I have symtec grip heaters on my BMW and added them to my VFR. Re use old grips no problem. No drama on installation.
    I ALSO added a powerlet outlet and fuse block with relay. But that is not needed for grip warmers.
    The symtec's were 50 bucks but used to be 25 like 6 months ago. Shop around. They work.

3. NormK

NormK New Member

I have fitted Oxford heated grips to a couple of bikes, beautiful, on number 4 you can't keep it there for too long, gets too hot, but fit a relay so you don't forget and flatten the battery

4. Dead Eye Dick AKA Carpy

Dead Eye Dick AKA Carpy New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    hello there
    I have had a look on ebay uk and there are 6th gen Genuine Honda heated grips, new for £114.79. I dont know about postage but if you want to contact the company to ask, the email address is sales@honda-tippetts.co.uk
    the ebay uk item number is 171296201109
    I have the oem heated grips on my 07 vfr and I love them
    good luck
    ride safe
    D.E.D.

5. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    DED, Hows the eye comin along bud ?
    SORRY FOR THE JACK

6. Dead Eye Dick AKA Carpy

Dead Eye Dick AKA Carpy New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Hey Ducc

The latest theory is that I had a small stroke behind the eye, this trashed the optic nerve so its bye bye time for the eye, the nerve has now shrivelled up into non existence. It still looks normal, and to outsiders it functions the same as my good eye but that's where it ends. I still have issues with depth perception but I still ride so that's the main thing (everything is done at a slightly more sedate pace though). I took the rear view camera/LCD screen off, I was spending too much time looking behind me and not concentrating enough on the morons in front of me !!

But I console myself with the knowledge that there are a lot of people much worse off than me getting on with their lives so I can't and more importantly WON'T complain about my lot in life. You just gotta play the hand you are dealt !!!

Thanks for asking fella

D.E.D.

7. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Yup, that it......it is what it is..glad your still riding bud....hope this year brings positive things into your life.....stay safe

8. Carver3

Carver3 New Member

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia
    Map
    I have Oxfords on mine, only possible to turn them 'on' when the ignition is on too. Have never needed more than 2 so far, and with the current weather trying to hunt down a air-conditioning conversion kit.....

9. NormK

NormK New Member

Must be some sort of sook, heated grips in QLD, now that really takes the cake :smile-new:

10. Carver3

Carver3 New Member

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia
    Map
    Just getting ready for a ride down to Tassie, closest looking place to the West Coast in Oz.:eagerness:

11. NormK

NormK New Member

Tassie you will need them, last time I was in Tas and riding out along the west coast it was snowing and then you will get to use them on 4 and you will really appreciate them

12. Space Diver

Space Diver New Member

Canada
    Map
    LeakingLewis, and all, I had the Oxford heated grips (with relay) on my Triumph Tiger 800 and could not believe how well they worked. Shoulda done it years ago. Heated grips are a great safety feature as your hands stay flexible even if it's not freezing. Here in Canada I'll ride to minus 3 degrees Celsius but will turn on the grips even if it's just "cool"; just enough to keep the fingers working and comfortable. With a few exceptions, everyone should have grip heaters. You'll be safer and happier riding. I'll be getting some for the VFR come spring.

13. bikehikeflyCO

bikehikeflyCO New Member

Map
    LeakingLewis, I put the Oxford Premium Heaterz Touring Grips on my 5th gen and cannot say enough good things about them. Took about 30mins to install and has an auto shutoff feature that detects when the voltage is too low and turns them off.

http://lockitt.com/Lockitt/product/GPOX691.html

14. NormK

NormK New Member

Skates, I think mine had a low volt shutoff as well but by the time it shut off my battery was also low in voltage so I couldn't start the bike, had to bump start it, then I fitted a relay and never a problem again

15. bikehikeflyCO

bikehikeflyCO New Member

Map
    NormK, Do you know what version of the controller you have? Mine is marked V.8 (the latest version). Mine normally shuts off within three minutes. I do remember reading that the older versions had issues with that, I also have yet to get mine about level 2 as they get really toasty.

16. NormK

NormK New Member

Sorry Skates no idea, I have had them on for probably over 5 years and you are right they do heat up, a couple of times I have flicked them to 4 but only for a very short time when it was snowing in Tas and one night when riding home from Broken Hill and that is inland and temps at night drop right down and by the time we hit Mildura I had a very bad case of the shakes because it was so cold

17. Adonis

Adonis New Member

Although not a 6th gen, Last week I ordered some diy heated grip pads that install under the factory grips, We'll see how they do once I get them in the mail..

Tired of my fingers hurting from freezing!

18. bikehikeflyCO

bikehikeflyCO New Member

Map
    I looked at those as well, but I read reviews about a lot of heat loss in the bars themselves. I ended up with the Oxfords due to the reviews, plus when they need replaced, replacement grips are only $20/ea. Let us know how they work out!

19. NormK

NormK New Member

Skates I just found the book for my grips they are v.7 and they do not shut off till battery voltage drops too low. Apart from that they are fantastic

20. bikehikeflyCO

bikehikeflyCO New Member

Map
    I have heard about a few issues with that version and below, but as long as you remember to shut them off, it is not a problem. I had mine on last night when it was 36º (2ºC) on the lowest setting and I was sweating in my summer gloves. Love em!