My two VFR750's

Discussion in '3rd & 4th Generation 1990-1997' started by john750, Jan 17, 2015.

1. john750

john750 New Member

Thought I'd start a thread to keep a log of changes/mods/progress on my two bikes

First off, my original purchase - a 1990 plate. It was with original paint, adorned in Castrol Liveries - it looks a HELL of a lot better in the pics than it did in real life. The bike was really a complete state, every nut and bolt was rusted and marred, marks all over the paint, the liveries had bubbles under them, the bike had been down a few times in it's life so rash in a few spots, a snapped bar end weight bolt was stuck in the bar itself, the wheels had literally been patched up with what looked like tipex! Anway, it was an impulse buy and as it turns out, it had a few choice mods - Motad SS exhaust system (end can not in place as that had likely taken a beating with the accident it'd been in), hi flow airfilter, Hagon rear shock (which is shot to sh*t so needs replacing), short levers, braided lines front and back, the brakes are super sharp so likely had a master cylinder rebuild along with new pads etc.

So what I've done to it so far:

Full strip of all the fairing (which still has cracks)
    Removed all stickers etc
    Full gloss white vinyl wrap, lower engine cowlings wrapped in carbon effect
    Wheels powder coated, front has new bearings
    Sandy bike spares exhaust connecting pipe
    Delkevic slash cut end can

What it needs:

Front and rear suspension sorting out (thinking 929 front and rear for this as it'll likely become a track bike)
    All the fairing bolts replacing with SS (ideally in black)
    Replacement grips and bar end weights (new handle went on a while back to get around the broken, existing one
    It'll inevitably need at least a dynojet kit given the exhaust and air filter, along with a rolling road AF tune up

Here's some before and after pics:

Before

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Starting/during strip down:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Vinyl wrap:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Piecing back together:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Back together, experimenting with some stickers:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Like I said, it still needs a bit of work but I'm in no rush really. Did stick it up for sale a couple of times but no real interest that made my wallet interested, I've sunk too much into it to let it go for peanuts.

Now here's my most recent purchase, a (very) red 1993 VFR, this one has all he history you could think of, original owners manual, original bill of sale, receipt for just about everything ever done to it, all MOT's, tax discs, you name it...a folder with 22 years of history, and it runs like new. Suspension is soft but who's surprised! The Maxton front end will be going on this one along with (likely) a Maxton rear shock when I can be bothered spending the money. It's got the original exhaust system minus the high level pipe and Remus can. I had it rolling road tested today and it's putting just shy of 90bhp at the rear wheel, it needs the tiniest amount of throttle to start from freezing cold but otherwise is a complete gem. I need to remove a broken scott oiler as it's peeing gloop everywhere which slops the back wheel in shizzle. Nothing that's not easily sorted.

So I'm thinking I might get a Sandy bike spares left exit system, K&N air filter and have the AF checked again on the rolling road and contemplate a dynojet kit. But we're talking silly money really so I don't know. The exhaust system's a definite though as I want the original off before it rusts.

Here's some pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some updated pics there!
    So that's me right now! Maybe I'll lose my mind and get the red one sprayed white and powder coat everything from the frame to pegs etc in black.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2015
  2. Deadsmiley

Deadsmiley Member

United States
    Map
    Very nice! I really like the looks of the 3rd gen bikes.

3. john750

john750 New Member

Thanks buddy, the white one has been layed up for over 6 months now, so today I put it back together as best I could, carbs went back on (forgot how fiddly that was!) throttle cable back in place, the fuel tap on the fairing is junk so I'm just going to make do with the fuel gauge and not let it slip into the reserve. Need to drop some petrol in the tank and fire it up tomorrow and see how it goes. No doubt the battery has taken a hit with the weather being near zero degrees here in the UK, so we'll see how it goes. I might put an original exhaust back on it and just make do - I'll keep this updated with progress.

4. Deadsmiley

Deadsmiley Member

United States
    Map
    I have a CBR 954RR that I crashed at the track in 2011. Still haven't gotten it back together... bleh.

Yes, please keep us updated. Love those bikes. I rode a 1991 VFR a couple of years ago. It's a very different bike than my 5th gen. The 3rd gen feels like you are in the bike when you sit on it. The 5th gen feels like you are on top of the bike when you sit on it. I really liked the 91' model. The engine wasn't as strong as my 5th gen, but it was smoother.

5. john750

john750 New Member

I've found a 2005 CBR600RR front end (complete) for a stupidly cheap price. Worth going for it?!

6. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    DSC02662.jpg I got two too! My 91 has been with me for 20+years, the 93 I bought back in May 2014. I am happy where the 93 is as I commute a few times a week on it. The 91 has 92 body work and is basically a new bike. Motor has never been out of either bike. The black one gets ridden once a week on the weekend. Its special to me and that's all that counts, I would never put it through commuting hell to Ft Lauderdale :loco: 20140801_112648.jpg IMG_20130531_112507.jpg

7. V4 Matt

V4 Matt New Member

United States
    Map
    How does that remus can sound? If you ever part with it I'll take it off your hands!

8. john750

john750 New Member

Sounds a bit meh in my opinion, very muted. I believe it's got two baffles and some chambers. It's heavy as well, I'll upload a video to youtube and link it at some point today so keep your eyes peeled. I'm trying to source a decent left exit exhaust, Sandybikespares does them but the internal welding is questionable going off some reports I've read online. The search continues for a two brothers system!

9. adeyren

adeyren New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Also heard the Sandys are crap. Just put a full s/s Motad system on mine. Beautifully made and dyno tested at the factory and a lot cheaper than you think.Give them an email, youll be pleasantly surprised. http://www.motad.co.uk/

10. john750

john750 New Member

I've actually already got a Motad but on the white VFR. I do like the system, very small, light, well made, but the issue with finding a link pipe and a suitable end can that's not their (frankly stupendously expensive) dedicated version is really hard.

I've been in touch with Ian McDonald over there to get a link pipe sorted, apparently they're up for this and have made one and are testing it on the dyno etc, so we may see a release from them which will open up end can options!

11. adeyren

adeyren New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Met Ian when i picked up my system and found him really helpful. Gave me a tour of the factory as well. Where are you in the UK?

12. john750

john750 New Member

South East London mate, I used to see a bird in Worcester. Fiona she was called, so I'm familiar with the area...spent a few sticky nights in some shithole club there, forgotten the name as this was over ten years ago now!

13. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    I think your gear shift lever is a little high? There are marks on the splined shaft as well as the lever, line them up and your done. My white one shifts nice, the black one has a factory pro shift kit. I have worn out the shifter pad on boots over the years riding it. Adjust the fuel mixture screws today before I scooted out for work. Went from 2.5 turns out to 2, the black one has 2.5 but rides different, both have K&N filters and stock jetting, black one has shimmed needles .020. No two are created the same imho, I can enjoy riding/commuting on the white one more than than my original Interceptor. Cheers

Nice pictures

14. john750

john750 New Member

Yeah it is a tag high but not uncomfortably so. I can't see myself ever messing with the fuel mixture screws to be honest, I'm scared of messing up a bike that otherwise feels like it runs spot on. I think at most it could do with a carb balance which I'm going to do once it's not pissing down with rain and -5. Such are the woes of living in London.

Thanks for the comment :)

15. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    I use a Morgan carb tool. You can always return the mixture screws. Get an official manual. Cheers

16. john750

john750 New Member

I've got morgan carb tune, I'm assuming that's different though!

Can you show me what you mean and how you use it? I don't mind fettling as long as I have a guide to go off :)

17. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    The morgan tool is for the carburetor synchronization. It is better than the other tool i had which used fake mercury and had to be synchronized before each use to the base cylinder of the bike you were working on. As important as a good carb tool is, you need to access the three synchronizing screws that are under our carbs. I have a gear drive small/long flat head scewdriver with a twist grip at the end of it. This makes fast work out of doing this job without burning the shite out of your hands! If the bike is running good, why bother? I have had some go out of sorts and ended up taking them of the bike to bench synch. Just saying, if it aint broke...cheers

18. john750

john750 New Member

Ahhh ok, yeah that's the tool I have. I bought some permanent replacement brass adapters which I've yet to fit. I also have a decent screwdriver for quickly balancing, just not got round to it yet as I'm lazy.

How does changing the fuel mixture screws affect the balancing of the carbs though? Apologies for all the questions!

19. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    Me personaly, i turn the mixture scews out to the same amount of turns. Then i synchronize the carburetors. I think you can re-visit the mixture screws when the bike is hot and hear a difference the way the bike is idling in relation to how much of a turn you do. Bear in mind they are small turns. The gooƗ$d thing is that you can always returnig to the original setting by gently bottoming out the screw and then counting the revelutions out. I had a grabby situation when the bike was hot, thats why i turned mine in, the other bike has them at two point five out. Cheers

20. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    The brass fittings are the way to fly. I used the two that were on the plenums and had an extra two from another bike. They are installed with a small lenght of hose with a bolt on the end. They are real easy to access and attatch the hoses for the carb balance tool. Love my third gen bikes :thumbsup: was goofing off at work above on the Android phone, gota love it! Cheers