2015 Rides

Discussion in 'Canada & Alaska' started by k9handler, Jan 21, 2015.

1. k9handler

k9handler New Member

Hello fellow VFR riders.

I just joined this forum, so I thought I would say hello and get the ball rolling here. I am anxious about starting this year early and looking for some good local rides in BC with other BC riders.

It would seem there hasn't been a post up for awhile and I am having to brush away a few cobwebs :(

I would love to see some posts about your favorite local day rides, over night rides, and long trippers. On top of that any planned rides this year...or start planning some local rides.

I will update my profile very soon. Until then...Silver 2005 Honda VFR800 ABS. Waiting for my Puig Sport Dark smoke windscreen, colored matched saddle bags, and the rain to stop :playful:

2. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    Welcome to the site. Where in BC? I'm from Chilliwack. You know. That place where a bus load of blind people can ride through as know where they are by the smell of cow shit!

There are a few in the LMD on here but they are not really that active. Mine is sitting right now with no insurance on it for the very first time since I got it in August 06. Dont ride this time of the year here anymore to justify the ICBC gouge. Was thinking about biteing the bullet and getting it last weekend but came to my sences. You going to the MC Show at the Tradex in Abby this weekend?

3. k9handler

k9handler New Member

Hi Randy,

I am in Surrey so I can smell the Chilliwack shit from here...or is that coming from Surrey...I can't tell. Yah I know what you mean, my buddy and I got very very close a few days ago to insuring the bikes. I am getting so anxious about getting going I just decided to buy a bunch of stuff for the bike so I can at least work on it. Hopefully the locals will pick up on this site again. Nothing like a good convoy once in a while.

Unfortunately I won't make it to the bike show this year. I am stuck at work and there is nothing I can do about it. That's okay though, I just bought this VFR so I got all I need to look at. I cant afford anymore mods....

4. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    Nice to meet you. I am sure the smelling is mutual!

I used to ride every day, summer winter spring and fall, from the Wack to Surrey to work. Except in the snow. Goot caught in that a couple times too. But now I don't work so I don't ride in winter....so far.

We should meet up of a brew, black or amber, either or, sometime and maybe plan a couple rides. The Duffy Lake circuit makes for a nice day long ride.

5. k9handler

k9handler New Member

Thank you! Yah I want to start riding my bike to work but I am still hesitating on insuring it yet. I think its going to happen very soon though. Just got all my accessories ready for pick up across the line.

Yah sounds good, either or is a fine drink. We will make plans very soon, I am currently swamped with work and other obligations that keep me busy. I have heard of the Duffy, I have it in my "to ride" list. I never did it before because it was hard to get other bikes to join in. Riding alone gets pretty boring...

6. CaribooBC

CaribooBC New Member

Canada
    Map
    If you ever come up to the Cariboo, send me a PM. It would be good to compare bikes and stories over a wobbly pop or coffee.

7. k9handler

k9handler New Member

Oh I am sure I will make a point to get out there this summer. Maybe ill drag Randy along to :p

8. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    Lets understand something. I DON'T GET DRAGGED ALONG! If I am not working, and it is not my wedding anniversary...well maybe then...I ride anywhere, anytime, in any weather. Capische?

9. k9handler

k9handler New Member

haha, that's the spirit!

10. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    Hey guys, I just recently joined too .... '02 VFR 800 (Black).

I'm in Manitoba, and I'm planning a trip to the Blackhills / Badlands this summer on my bike. I wouldn't mind doing Yellowstone either, but it's a bit more of a haul for me.

I'll be riding my bike daily to work thanks to a new job that doesn't require me to drive a company vehicle. :)

11. Pliskin

Pliskin New Member

United States
    Map
    Now are all you guys flatheads, or just Jeff?

I don't know WTF a flathead is.

12. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    Just Jeff. I used to be a flat head, but I escaped 27 years ago and have developed a wet looking West Coast head complete with snorkel growing out the top of my head and webbing between my toes.

13. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    That's an easy ride Jeff. Boring as hell until you get west of Rapid City. Some really nice riding roads there. But, be ready for the blue haired people driving the 55 foot buses or pulling 130 foot fifth wheels at a speed similar to the movement of the glacial ice from Greenland.

14. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    Hahah. Yup, I'm from the bald arsed prairies ... thankfully though, Manitoba isn't completely bald, unlike Saskatchewan. :)

There's actually some really nice riding along the Ontario border, down through the Pembina Valley, and up through Riding Mountain National Park. Just to the south, there's some great riding down near Duluth, MN and that area as well.

Regarding the Blue Hairs, I'm sure it's nothing a VFR couldn't handle when VTEC kicks in. ;)

I figure Blackhills is an easy drive from Manitoba and could be reached in a day. I could hit Yellowstone as well in a day, it's about 2-3 more hours and would make for a very long day.

I have some friends down in Richmond, VA and Cincy, OH that want me to come down and ride the Dragon and do Deals Gap with them, but that's a LOT of riding. LOL

15. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    A group of us from the LMD of BC had considered trailering to the Dragon and ride it. Ditched that idea. We have orgasmic roads just south of us in Washington and Oregon. And there are few if anyone on them. Except in September, there are fuggen deer all over the place that like to jump in front of you. One of the guys hit one at about 60 MPH in mid air as the deer jumped out of a deep rock covered ditch a couple years ago. Deer continued up hill and died. Buddy went down the rocky ditch about 20 - 30 feet and survived. Bent the sub frame of the VFR but we manage to winch it out thanks to some hunters who happened by, then he rode it for about 3 hours back to Spokane Wa where we loaded it up and trailered it home.

The life of a mindless motorcycle meathead eh?

16. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    Oh man, that would suck. Yup, we have them jumpers out here as well around that time.

If I can manage it, we should organize a ride through the Rockies. :)

I have family in Kelowna.

17. iamzombie

iamzombie New Member

Well at least you're not in WestMan, Jeff... I have to ride for an hour to get to any roads worth riding on :p

I'm thinking of riding down to Indianapolis for the MotoGP race in August, and then continuing down to deal's gap, but that may end up being a next year trip... Did lake superior last summer, that was a lot of fun.

18. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    Hey, someone from my neck of the woods!

We should eat some pavement up together sometime this summer, zombie!

Actually, I'm heading to Muncie, IN near the beginning of August for a RC Helicopter event that I attend every year. It's litterally just East of Indianapolis.

I'd do a trip to Deals with you one year. :)

19. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    Most of southern Manitoba is as flat as pee on a plate with the foam all blowed off. When I ran away from home as a teen in Winnipeg, mom waved for two days until I dipped below the horizon.

20. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    Didn't spend much time in the Pembina Valley (SW of Morden) hey? :)