Freeing stuck clutch plates

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by NormK, Jan 27, 2015.

1. NormK

NormK New Member

86 VFR 750, I have tried all the tricks I know, clutch in and try pushing it in gear, running it in gear, clutch in and hit the brake, she is stuck good and propper. Had the slave cylinder off and it appears to be working fine. Any other thoughts before I start pulling clutch to bits

2. 74ullc

74ullc New Member

The clutch was stuck on my '84 when I got it. I just kept pushing it forward and backwards until it broke loose. If yours is like the 1st gen then it has a slipper clutch so it will push forward in gear even with a stuck clutch, mine would. It took pushing it backwards in 1st to break it loose. Don't ask me how a slipper clutch works or why you can push it forward even when stuck cause I dunno. Other than because that's what it's designed to do. Keep you from locking up the rear wheel if you downshift at too high of revs.

So it may be the slipper is slipping on you and thus the stuck plates are not breaking free. That could explain why what you're doing isn't working.

3. NormK

NormK New Member

No joy pushing it forward she is solid, looks like I will have to pull the plates

4. NormK

NormK New Member

All good they finally came free

5. 74ullc

74ullc New Member

The rule is that you have to say how you got it fixed. :wink:

not really a rule...but....

6. NormK

NormK New Member

As you said keep pushing it till you drop, then try some more and eventually they broke loose, top gear also helps. Now I have just ridden it about 30ks, it is not overheating and it is charging fine, what should I do?

7. RotaryRocketeer

RotaryRocketeer New Member

Stretch the swingarm and install so many trendy LED lights that epileptics in the next county have seizures.

8. NormK

NormK New Member

Guess I could pull it to bits to find out why it works the way it does

9. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    On one bike i had, a '92 ZX-7 in the early Clinton era, when i first got it (from a bank auction) i needed to ride at about 15 mph with clutch disengaged (after a push-start) and get hard on the brakes to free the clutch. Maybe not something advisable for the under-insured. :eek-new:

Zhouse.jpg

10. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Weird you brought this up, it happened to my 02 when I first got it........it would not stat in gear of course with the clutch pulled in...someone mentioned that my clutch plates were sticking and suggested that I put in 2nd with engine running and move a foot or two back and forth.....did the fix....never happened again. The bike when I bought only had 400 miles put on it in 5 years....dont know if that had anything to do with it but...........

11. 74ullc

74ullc New Member

On some of those car shows on velocity....I think Chasing Classic Cars....seems like I've seen episodes where they found cars with the clutch pushed in with a broom stick. He is always happy when he finds that because it means the clutch won't be stuck. I would assume that the same would be true of bikes....if you plan to let it sit for years tie the clutch lever in. Don't know if it would work on fluid clutch, seems like it would find a way to bleed down over the years but I dunno.

12. NormK

NormK New Member

Only problem with that idea is you are keeping the springs fully compressed

13. dgmart

dgmart New Member

Map
    To anyone who has tried the "push til you drop" method, did it seem to pulsate as you were pushing forward? Apparently my clutch plates are stuck as well. I engage the clutch lever and push and pull. When I push it seems to grab and release. And yes, I am trying it in the top gear.

14. NormK

NormK New Member

It is pulsating because you are turning the motor over because the plates are not disengaging. Might have to pull the slave cylinder to see if it is moving as soon as you start pulling on the clutch lever, but be careful you don't pop the slave cylinder apart because then you will have to rekit it