fitting regulator wires

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by Markvfr800, Jan 29, 2015.

1. Markvfr800

Markvfr800 New Member

Picture's

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 30, 2015
  2. Markvfr800

Markvfr800 New Member

3. Markvfr800

Markvfr800 New Member

Ok. I'm going to go in detail here and hopefully mellow dude might have some ideas for me.
    98 fiw, 25000 miles on her. Owned and rode under a year now, new battery since then (10 months). Always had intermittent problems with Fi light (which I think iv just found solution for here http://www.bikersoracle.com/blackbird/forum/showthread.php?t=16438

It had an alarm which has generally worked but was a bit finicky, eventually had it removed about a month ago as it stopped me starting bike one morning, even after a night on trickle. Since then the Fi light has been more obviously active under acceleration or using electrics. Last week noticed drops in power when using high beam flasher, which steadily got worse to a very noticeable drop in power when riding. Definitely something wrong. Has removing the alarm (2amp) draw led to extra heat in the rr and killing it?

The drill
    Regulator - reads the same volts as the battery 13.06.......
    Leakage test was 1.1ohm (under the limit but is it high?)
    Battery at rest is 13.06v
    At idle 14.02v
    At 5000 rpm 13.8v

stator shows 0.9 ohms across 3 wires, no continuation.
    It reads 17 +/- at idle and 57 v +/- at 5000 rpm (tested again hot and slightly better results)

The battery was fully charged and read 13.06v, dropped to 12.8v 2 hours later and 12 hours later was at 12.7v

If im right that shows that the stator is okay. The battery is okay. But the rr is not supplying the charge, I have mosfet rr on the way and I plan on fitting it along with doing the test block removal mod as in the tread above. Should I open the alternator to visually check the stator too to be sure to be sure! I will post new drill results after with as many pics and updates of the work as I go along. But I guess my main q for now is how to undo the old rr wire set up which has been wired into the loom as shown in the pic above.
    I'm learning as I go and enjoying the process and I hope this might help others

4. Markvfr800

Markvfr800 New Member

Attached Files:

5. Pliskin

Pliskin New Member

United States
    Map
    Mark - my knowledge on this subject was tapped in the other thread we had going on.

Everything appears to be in order based on what you've posted, but hopefully someone more qualified than me can contribute.

As for checking or replacing the stator? If you want piece of mind, and don't mind spending the few bucks to have the gasket on hand and ready for replacement, then I'd probably do it. Of course if you see the stator looking suspect, then you know its probably time to do that as well.

6. rjgti

rjgti New Member

your r/r at 5k rpm is low voltage

7. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    I'm guessing you have a stock OEM R/R? Dunno why it is designed this way but its typical on 5th gen R/Rs to start new at idle and 5k rpm at about 14V. Then over time the idle volts stay at 14 and the 5K number fades to the low 13s. Your R/R seems to be ok today, but the 5k volts is starting to do the fade thing. --- On the 5th gen the quite a few R/Rs eat it in the 15k mile range. Mine died at 12k and a local buddy's did at 18k. Save your pennys for a FH020AA Shindengen from www.roadstercycle.com.

-- You test all 3 legs of the stator? Looks like you didnt test pins to ground? The data you posted is ok...

-- Battery load tested?
    -- Kinda having a hard time following your wiring pics you got there. --- I'm still a proponent of wiring the R/R direct to the battery on repairs.
    Check this thread as an example....
    http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/...ll-wrap-up-on-a-5th-gen-finally/?fromsearch=1

-- It might be possible that the problem has nothing to do with the charging system at all.......

8. Markvfr800

Markvfr800 New Member

Cheers. I can only wish mine will look anything as good as your work! I don't think it original rr I think it's a 6th gen one wired in. The rr has its own earth wire to frame is that needed on the mosfet setup?