Experience with Delkevic exhaust on 5th gen?

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by Crashcup, Jan 30, 2015.

1. Crashcup

Crashcup New Member

United States
    Map
    Hi, does anyone have first-hand experience with these and have a comment on the performance.

I like that they have a lot of choices, and I'm considering this kit:
    http://www.delkevic.us/?section=shop&bike_manufacturer=honda&bike_model=honda_vfr800fi__(1999)&product_category=exhaust_s7rhj&sub_category=silencers_honda_fgc5z&product=honda_stainless_steel_trioval_mufflers__silencers_17andquot_420mm&variant=honda_vfr800_fuel_injection_1998-2001-2736

I've got a query submitted to the company also, but wondering if anyone knows:

Is it a true bolt-on? Can I keep the centerstand?

Is it good without a power commander and changes to the fuel map?

Is there a noticeable torque increase? Their site shows a dyno chart of HP vs speed (not RPM). From what I can gather, at the speeds I ride, there might be 1-2 hp gain. Whatever. What they don't show is if there's a bump up in torque in the low to mid RPMs, something a street rider would actually notice.

I'll admit I haven't given this enough thought yet. My wife got my a Givi tank bag for my bday, which I didnt' really like, so I'm in a position of exchanging that for another MC-related gift. Nothing else for the bike that I'm dying to get, but it would be nice to hear a bit more bark from the exhaust, and drop a few pounds.

Thanks for any help!
    Keith

2. marriedman

marriedman New Member

United States
    Map
    I had a carbon fiber Delkevic on my '99 for when I was touring.

1 - Yes it is a true bolt on. You just have to make sure you get the OEM gasket off before you put it on.
    2 - I never used a fuel map on any of my bikes. The muffler/silerncer doesn not make that much of a difference that it is necessary.
    3 - Noticeable difference? Nope. It sounds better than stock by far, but I think that people hear the bike sounding better and the butt dyno kicks in and says it is performing better.

The Delkevic is a great value can. It is a fraction of the weight, looks pretty good, and sounds better than some of the bigger names. The are cheap enough to be a great gauge of "will I like an aftermarket exhaust". When I didn't have hard luggage on my 5th gen, I had a 2 Bros high mount carbon fiber. It sounded damn good! But the pinnacle of 5th gen exhaust note is the Staintune highmount. Jesus, the sound is perfect! But those are hard to come by.

3. Stubbsy

Stubbsy New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Hi get a Delkevic if you dont like it you can always sell it on.Just sold a hi level Remus can and link pipe i HATED it! 1.never could get it to sit how i would like.2 it was a chore to remove the rear bodywork every time you needed to remove the rear wheel.3 The Marriedman is correct the ONLY pipe ive ever liked but cant get in the uk for less than £700.00!!!! is the Staintune they sound beautiful.Im going for the affordable Delkevic hi level next i aint gonna love it but it works for me good luck.

4. Swanie1975

Swanie1975 New Member

Map
    I put on a shorty tri-oval delkevic high mount on my vfr800 about 2 weeks after I bought the bike. Sounds a load better but I reckon the carbon would be a touch deeper and better sounding. Fitted up really easy and neatly.

Overall great value for money and run with the baffle in (mostly lol)

Cheers Ryan

5. Alfadiablo

Alfadiablo New Member

Gibraltar
    Map
    HI, I have the stubby Carbon Fiber version of the Delkevic exhaust on my bike and it definitely sounds better than stock and having the db killer in it will get you through the MOT as well.
    Taking the db killer out of it is a whole different story, it is really loud and sounds beefy, especially at high revs! Although, it can get a tad annoying after a while, so its best to use it on either event days or when you want to annoy the hell out of your neighbors!!

Looking to get a high mount exhaust at some point, not sure which yet, but has to be carbon or titanium as I have soft luggage bags.

6. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

New Zealand
    Map
    I have exactly the pipe shown on your link. Great fit and finish, and has held up to 10000km with no wear to date. I run mine without the dB killer as IMO the killer muffles it a bit but introduces a bit of a tinny sound. Very easy to fit and remove the dB killer if you need to (a single 4mm allen screw). I have no issues whatsoever with the Delkevic and reckon it looks great and sounds good too.

I have no idea whether it has any effect on power (the seat of my pants is not that finely tuned), certainly has needed no adjustments to the injection system. I doubt it would make more or less power as the stock muffler has a very big volume so won't be restrictive, and the header pipes are very similar. IMG_0833.jpg

I had to cut the stock muffler gasket to remove it, but you don't need it with the Delkevic as it comes with a small tube of HT silicone sealer. I bought a new stock gasket, and coated it with with copper grease and now I can refit the stock muffler (for quieter moments) and remove it easily when I feel a bit naughtier and want the Delkevic.

7. Alfadiablo

Alfadiablo New Member

Gibraltar
    Map
    Glad you mentioned that the db killer makes a tinny sound. I was wondering if my tapets were in need of a service. I placed my foot over the exhaust with the engine running and presto, no more tinny noise. I'm taking the db killer out permanently now!

8. Crashcup

Crashcup New Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks for the info all. This sounds like the one I want. If it gave any performance boost that would be a plus, but really just wanted to be sure installation wouldn't require cutting or mods and that my 99 will still run right at idle and low speed.

9. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

New Zealand
    Map
    I can confirm that it is a true slip on and I can't tell any difference in idle or low speed running on my '99.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk