Carb Rebuild Kits for Gen 3

Discussion in '3rd & 4th Generation 1990-1997' started by rkienlen, Feb 4, 2015.

1. rkienlen

rkienlen New Member

Hey guys - VFR Newbie here (but a long time biker). Just brought a 1993 VFR750F home tonight, and it has been sitting in a friends garage for 6 years without starting ( I know - ouch). Gonna need carb rebuild kits, but can only find them for 1994 and later bikes.

Anybody know where I can get carb kits for a 1993 model?

Thanks, Robert K. (Dallas)

2. NormK

NormK New Member

Read up on here about carb cleaning, pull the carbs give them a clean and you should be good to go,at worst you might need "O" rings, do not split the carbs off the base plate

3. john750

john750 New Member

Carb kits are like rocking horse shit, and in my experience with three different sets of carbs, you WILL need some seals replacing. I'm in talks with someone to get new kits made up but it'll take around 12 weeks so if you can hang fire, I'd suggest you do. Otherwise, pay someone with an ultrasonic cleaner (and plenty of experience) to do it for you, you will have an absolute nightmare otherwise.

Are you familiar with getting the carbs on and off the bike? As there's knacks to both. Have they ever been off as you may need replacement rubber couplers (bits between the carbs and cylinder heads) as these inevitably go rock hard over the years and yours are 22 years old now!

I'd suggest getting in contact with this guy to discuss options:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Econo-Carb-...Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a8e88c30e&vxp=mtr

Might seem a tad pricey but he has everything you'll need that may need replacing and you're getting a pro job done by someone who actually knows these carbs inside out. I'd have used him but I'm over the pond.

4. rkienlen

rkienlen New Member

Thanks - 'preciate the advice. I've done plenty of carbs over the years, just need the kits for the right gaskets, needle valves, etc.

5. NormK

NormK New Member

As I said, pull the carbs and give the jets a good clean.

6. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    If the bike was stored properly with carbs drained and if you make certain the fuel tank is clean, just try starting it and see if the carbs need more attention.

7. rkienlen

rkienlen New Member

Unfortunately, the bike was stored with gas in the tank (now looks like rust soup), and carbs that weren't drained. Bike should still be save-able if I can get the tank and carbs clean. Thanks

8. 94VFRVA

94VFRVA New Member

United States
    Map
    Check out Sirius Consolodated Inc. They're out of Canada, so shipping is a bit on the high side, but I just ordered a carb "econo" kit from them for my '94. (only float bowl gaskets were needed in my case)

I was trying to find an alternative to buying the complete carb rebuild kit, which usually runs around 27.00 or so per carb, and ended up buying just the float bowl gaskets from them for about 22.50 for the four carbs. Needless to say, I saved myself some cash.

They have a pretty healthy selection of stuff to get you going and shipping is quick.

I've also emailed them with questions and they are quite courteous, turning a response the very next morning.

All in all, I'm happy. Check 'em out.

9. rkienlen

rkienlen New Member

Thanks ! May need to use them.

10. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    I go the OEM route on needles/seats. Honda in their infinate wisdom sells needles with the brass seats, then you need the gasket kit which is more money. If your tank is rusted oot your gona maybe need a replacement, dont ask how I know this, but I do. Petcock along with new o-rings for your gas gauge if you can transfer it to your new tank too. Its alot of chit, and cost green backs, again, don't ask how I know this stuff. I do, bear in mind, you could spend all the money and labour to do your carbs and if your tank is still chit, your gona suck all that nasty petrol into your newly over-hauled carburetors.

I did the starter clutch on this bike and every part was sold indivially, which kind of made me feel like their "arm was out with the palm up." Compare this to Kawasaki which sold me the whole shooting match for one price.

Love these gen3 bikes and I am not complaining, time/labour/money, I have and in the end, you end up with a unique bike.

Oh, dont get me started on over-hauling the brakes :pound: Foot note, if you get those carburetors off, make sure to change the t-stat along with the 0-ring, if the hoses are chit, you could change them to the t-stat housing, make sure them bands are tight too or you'll be cussing. Cheers and happy wrenching :mech:

11. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map

Their shipping charges are truly exorbitant. I tried to talk them into sending me 4 float bowl gaskets in a simple envelope cheaply, but they were uncooperative and insisted upon wanting about $35 (if i remember) or more for shipping, so i'll never deal with them again !

Last edited: Feb 28, 2015
  12. Make56

Make56 New Member

Finland
    Map
  13. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Bike parts dudes are not the only culprits who pull shipping charges out of a hat and refuse to do anything more than quote "my way or the highway" rules of business.

Then they wonder why they go tits up.

Just "ordered" two 3oz. containers of leather dye from a Seattle outfit. Aboot five bucks a bottle for the stuff. Both to be shipped to Coastal Ogeron.

Shipping was quoted on checkout at $16.95.

Fuck you muy mucho..

14. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    ^ yeh, that blows, I picked up some honda parts locally, thought I got "hosed" with a twenty dollar shipping cost but found out when I picked them up in person, the extra 20 dollar shipping charge was not on the invoice. Sometimes you gota say "F" it regarding the extra fee, I buy stuff off Ebay and kinda look at it as a tax/arm/out thing. Some are worse than others, all depends on how bad you want/need something right?

If that chick in the picture came along with sed, clutch slave, carburetor gasket kit, I would pay gladly :loco:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Solas-Alumi...at_Parts_Accessories_Gear&hash=item58bea007e1

same chick different thang :loco: :bandito:

15. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Best check with your wife on checking oot that chica IMO. Want and need in this case may be two different things. Why am I thinking of Elena Bobbit?

Solved that dye problem with some homework and a freebies sample of a stain base made by Sherwin-Williams that can be diluted as much as 500:1 with several solvents. I mixed some up with some fuel grade alcohol.

16. NormK

NormK New Member

See it here all the time Billy, particularly bad with stuff from the States, $3 item with $40 postage, I don't know why they keep putting the stuff on ebay, surely nobody would buy it, but I guess every so often somebody might slip up and not realize the postage