Water Pump

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by Oakley_burn, Sep 21, 2006.

1. Oakley_burn

Oakley_burn New Member

Hey all.

this is the story...

i live in london (UK) and travel to oxford (about 60 miles) every day for work. when i first got the bike second hand everyhting was fine and had been MOT'd the previous week with no problems.

Now on my return trip, after my motorway part of the journey at which the temp reading is normal, i come into london traffic and do a lot of filtering usually in 1st to 3rd gear. its at this time that the temp reading goes through the scale almost redlining.

i've changed the cooling fan assembly because the old one's motor bearing was notchy, cleaned the air filter, new fuel filter, oil filter and oil change with the levels checked regulary, but still have this problem.

Going on previous experience, i suspect the water pump as the radiator is sound and so is the pressure check.

My question is how do i check to see of the water pump is working at its right operation without just putting in another one and seeing if that cures the problem?

Or is there another cause that i dont know about?

Bike is a 1988 vfr750 RC24 FJ.

As always, many thanks in advance.

Phil.

2. Bastardized Interceptor

Bastardized Interceptor New Member

When my water pump broke the bike started leaking water out of it, check to see if you are leaking water.

On the right side of the bike, just below the gas tank there is a tube coming from the engine going to the thermostat. This will have two tubes (if i remember right, maybe 3) going from it to the heads. Unscrew the top of this and pull the thermostat out, hell while you're at it turn the bike on, there should be water flowing through there in some way shape or form.

If water is still flowing through there then your thermostat is probably broken. Get a pot of water up to boiling hot and drop the thermostat in there, if it pops then it's good, if not then it's bad, get a new one.