Country
    My Ride
    '99
    Thanks

3/4 Summer Gloves - Alpinestars GP-Air or SP-X or ?

I'm thinking of buying pair of 3/4 Gloves for hot days Summer riding to sit between my Alpinstars GP-Pro and my Motard orientated Alpinestars Octane S which I use for "very" hot days but would like a Warm weather comfortable summer Glove with good Wrist padding that sits inbetween them, does anyone have 3/4 Gloves and do they fit under or over the Leather Jacket sleeves ?

The below 2 on my list are similar in appearance are the Alpinestars GP-Air and Alpinestars SP-X, any have these or an alternative 3/4 suggestion ?

Alpinestars GP-Air:

Alpinestars SP-X:

Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!
    Country
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,227 Times in 1,050 Posts
    No longwinded recommendations on these:

http://www.revzilla.com/held-motorcy...newest&tab=all

A couple of vids are on the site. Sales dood was probably sellin luvly bunches of coconuts on a sales channel somewhere, He is amazing.. A Vin Unleaded with Ethanol clone..

Sounds like you are looking for a shorter wrist covering so air will blow up the sleeves of your jacket.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Badbilly For This Useful Post:

John451 (02-24-2015)

Country
    My Ride
    2009 VFR800 w/ farkles
    Thanks
    In my experience, the big name brands like alpine stars, joe rocket, olympia, etc are all absolute garbage. I wouldn't buy any of their products because the cost to own is actually higher than their more expensive, and high quality, competitors.

After trying on 20 or so gloves (including the ones you are looking at) and being totally dissatisfied, I went to the BMW shop to see what they had. Loved the fit and quality of these gloves, bought them, and have about 4,000 miles on them now. Couldn't be happier and would highly recommend them.

http://shop.bmw-motorrad.com/Gloves/...en_EU-EUR.html

I'd also look straight at the high-end. If you can tolerate aerostitch's hideous gloves, maybe some of those would be really durable. Maybe someone else has a suggestion for some other quality producers, as opposed to the made in China garbage cranked out by the likes of alpinestars.

Uber Guru

Country
    My Ride
    2006 VFR800A, Ohlins, Custom graphics, Puig double Bubble screen. Sergent seat, 8 spoke wheel.
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,945 Times in 1,418 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tyarosevich View Post
    In my experience, the big name brands like alpine stars, joe rocket, olympia, etc are all absolute garbage. I wouldn't buy any of their products because the cost to own is actually higher than their more expensive, and high quality, competitors.

After trying on 20 or so gloves (including the ones you are looking at) and being totally dissatisfied, I went to the BMW shop to see what they had. Loved the fit and quality of these gloves, bought them, and have about 4,000 miles on them now. Couldn't be happier and would highly recommend them.

http://shop.bmw-motorrad.com/Gloves/...en_EU-EUR.html

I'd also look straight at the high-end. If you can tolerate aerostitch's hideous gloves, maybe some of those would be really durable. Maybe someone else has a suggestion for some other quality producers, as opposed to the made in China garbage cranked out by the likes of alpinestars.
    I can't say I have ever tried the higher end gloves that you mention so I won't bash them or their performance.

I have worn out a pair of Joe Rocket summer gloves. Also a pair of Teknic winter gloves. I don't recall how long I wore these but it was definately long enough that I was satisfied I got my money's worth out of them. I am presently wearing Alpinestars, one summer pair and one winter pair. They are not even close to being worn out. I expect I will get a couple more years out of them.

Between the four paires of gloves, non high end, I have 186,712 km (116017 miles) on these low end gloves. They were a little uncomfortable for the first week or so, but became a second skin after broken in.

So I am definately not about to bash the less expensive, yet very common gloves available out there.

You want the higher end stuff, fill your boots and go get them. There are things that I buy that is pricey too. But we have to accept that not all of us have the resources to spend as much for a lot of items when there is a less expensive and fully suitable product out there. SInce retirement, I have had to seriously look at some of the things I buy because I am now on a fixed income.
    Randy IBA # 58558
    I enjoy long romantic walks to the beer fridge.

Uber Guru

Country
    My Ride
    2006 VFR800A, Ohlins, Custom graphics, Puig double Bubble screen. Sergent seat, 8 spoke wheel.
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,945 Times in 1,418 Posts
    Blog Entries
    BTW. I think I would go for the SP-X. From the pictures, they appear to have better protection in the fingers.
    Randy IBA # 58558
    I enjoy long romantic walks to the beer fridge.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to 34468 Randy For This Useful Post:

John451 (02-24-2015)

Country
    My Ride
    1998 VFR 800 i
    Thanks
    I had a pair of sp-x I bought used and wore them for about 5 years they were great. Fit perfectly and we're comfortable I'm going to purchase another pair

9. The Following User Says Thank You to jerritt For This Useful Post:

John451 (02-24-2015)

Country
    My Ride
    '99
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tyarosevich View Post
    Obviously wearing gear is about injury minimisation vs comfort, I try to be the right tool for the right job so looking at the BMW gloves like your Rallye or summer weight Airflow 2s they don't appear to have any better wrist protection than my current hot summer gloves the Alpinestars Octane S, when looking at my past gloves from the odd oops the 2 areas of contact are the palm and around the ulna. When I looked at the full gauntlet gloves I'd last crashed in I was glad of the high density pad that protected my ulnar area from damage.

Not sure why you're dissing Alpinestars gloves, I've been wearing them for the last 15 years and when I've purchased other brands have ended up giving them away to replace them with Alpinestars though part of that is sizing ie their Large fits my hands perfectly, the only exception are my heavy duty Winter Gortex Gloves which are the Finnish made Rukkas.

Quote Originally Posted by jerritt View Post
    I had a pair of sp-x I bought used and wore them for about 5 years they were great. Fit perfectly and we're comfortable I'm going to purchase another pair
    Cheers that's good to know so will definitely check them out.

BB has a good point about the my purpose of looking at the 3/4 glove, ie air up the sleeves that worked well with my old textile jacket but both my perforated and unperforated leather jackets have fairly tight sleeves, do you wear your SP-X under or over your jacket sleeves ?

Country
    My Ride
    '99
    Thanks
    Alpinestars Celer Street Sport Gloves

Seeing as Summer is approaching and hot weather has already hit us with days in the 90's and after recommendation from the Motorcyle accessory shop I've been using for the last 15 years have ended up springing for a pair of on sale Alpinestars Celer Gloves, haven't worn them on an extended ride ( which is planned for 2 weeks time ) but so far on short runs they feel comfortable and appear to have reasonable protection for this class of glove.

" Alpinestars Celer Gloves

An extremely supple leather main shell, excellent protective capabilities and flexibility combine to make the Alpinestars Celer Glove a leader in its class.
    Critical reinforcements and strategic perforation zones ramp up the comfort features on this stylish street riding glove. "

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/a...s-celer-gloves

Uber Guru

My Ride
    98 VFR 781 aka 800
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I found these to be excellent Spidi spidi glove.jpg
    Opportunity is where you anticipate it.

Making the VFR have more get up and go. Header build fund @ https://www.gofundme.com/vfr-header-build

[

Country
    My Ride
    2001 VFR800FI, PAST BIKES: 1984 VF1000F, 1988 CBR1000F, 1986 VFR750F, 1983 Laverda RGS1000, 1984 Kawasaki GPz900R, 1983 Kawasaki GPz750, 1979 Honda CX500, 1973 Honda XL250 Motorsport, 1972 Bultaco 350 Pursang
    Thanks
    I've been using my SP-X gloves (red, white, black) for 2 summers.
    I only use them when its very hot, as I have a pair of Five, long summer gloves that I prefer to use most of the times.
    My Five gloves have done more then triple the hours, as I wear them throughout most of winter as well, and have weatherd much, much better.
    I don't think I would buy them again. They are not terrible, but I don't think they are worth the money.
    Guns don't kill people, it's bullets.

Country
    My Ride
    2001 VFR 800 Blue 1988 Honda Hawk GT
    Thanks
    I have Alpinestars S1 gloves. Short cuff, but a nice sized wrist protector on the outside, full leather construction. Might be what you're looking for? Last time I looked they were on closeout, so probably some deals to be had.

http://www.revzilla.com/product/alpinestars-s-1-gloves

Country
    Thanks
    Branding isn't the whole story on gloves. Just because the label inside or the graphics outside a pair says, "_________", The larger manufacturers have so many price points and styles that a comparison as to what is best or better of one brand can be confusing.

BB's favorites are Helds. Again, even Helds have a very susubstantial assortment of choices and price ranges.

I have not tried Plastidip yet..

Country
    My Ride
    '99
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Badbilly View Post
    Branding isn't the whole story on gloves.
    Personally wouldn't mind trying HELD but there are no accessory outlets that stock them near me.

If possible I like to research the parameters of what I need then check out Video or online reviews like on Revzilla as well as asking real riders opinions on Forums before frequenting the local stores with targeted questions. Brick and mortar stores are good for trying on different items for fit and suitability and at the end I negociate the best possible purchase price, if the price is ok I also prefer to purchase from a human especially if they've been helpful.

So far I've been pretty happy with most of the Alpinestars products I've purchased in the last 15 years lasting well enough although I had my previous Goretex boots re-velcroed to extend their life.

Country
    Thanks
    Some of the Held gloves have roo leather parts. This should give you bragging rights with your mates.. Probably mail order is your best bet. My first pair were a gift from a bud who races. My current pair I bought at one of the CW shows that tour US. Got em way below MSRP.

Country
    Thanks
    An observation.. Many pair of gloves on the market look like they belong in a Transformer movie. Lots of all kinds of protection for the back of the hand and not as much for the palms. Reflex action is IMO mostly a palms down action when ya get tossed off a bike.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Badbilly For This Useful Post:

John451 (10-17-2015)

Country
    My Ride
    '99
    Thanks
    An observation.. Many pair of gloves on the market look like they belong in a Transformer movie. Lots of all kinds of protection for the back of the hand and not as much for the palms. Reflex action is IMO mostly a palms down action when ya get tossed off a bike.
    Come to think about it out of the 3 offs I've had in 30 years none have resulted in knuckle damage although with these I went on them being mostly leather, perforated for airflow in hot weather and some wrist protection.

Country
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by John451 View Post
    Come to think about it out of the 3 offs I've had in 30 years none have resulted in knuckle damage although with these I went on them being mostly leather, perforated for airflow in hot weather and some wrist protection.
    Helds are German. Maybe a BMW dealer. (??)

Just an observation. With all the reflex actions we have, maybe that one exists too.

Uber Guru

Country
    My Ride
    2009 Honda VFR800 2001 Honda VFR800 (in limbo) 1995 Ducati 900SS SP
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 909 Posts
    I really like the Knox Hand Armour gloves. I have 3 pairs, wet weather, racing and now a summer pair (i.e. Short cuff). As Billy mentioned, the instinct when falling is to put your arms out with palms down, this is where you impact will most likely be. When I first heard saw the Knox SPS (Scaphoid Protection System) it piqued my interest so I took a chance and bought a pair of Knox Biomech and pair of Teknic Lighting gloves (these hand the Knox SPS too). Although I cannot say this system works for sure, as I have not "tested" this feature out yet (knock on wood), I now look for gloves with this SPS or similar feature on them. I am seeing more and more gloves with the TPS palm sliders but I think Knox has a patent on SPS so you don't see gloves with palm sliders in the same location as Knox gloves, close but not identical.

That being said, so far my Knox gloves have been some of my favorite gloves, fit, feel and quality seem to be top notch! Although when I had them, the Teknic were my go to everyday glove and were also very affordable (<$100), alas they are out of business and I donated the pair I had to Long for his nephew. I was planning on replacing them, but Teknic went out of business before I could grab a new pair!

Anyway, here is a pick of the pair I just bought. Cheers

“You can checkout any time you like, but you can never leave...”

Country
    My Ride
    1998 VFR800 Interceptor
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I buy all of my gloves in clearance or close out sales. The best pair of hot weather gloves I've ever had are a pair of First Gear mesh gloves that are quite cool. They have fairly heavy leather palms and plastic knuckle guards. I think I paid $7 for them.
    TNRabbit
    1998 VFR800 Interceptor

Country
    My Ride
    '99
    Thanks
    Helds are German. Maybe a BMW dealer. (??)
    Found a "Held" stand at Sydneys Motorcycle show yesterday and purchased their show special " Held Akira Evos " full gauntlet gloves to replace my general duties 10yro Alpinestars GP plus gloves. They tell my they are now selling their full range locally not too far from my workplace. Haven't ridden with the Akira Evos yet but made in Hungary do like their fit and finish.

Country
    My Ride
    80 CB900FA, 81 CB750FB, 81 CB900FB, 83 CB1100FD, two x 84 VF1000RE, 85 VF1000RF, 1994 VFR750F, 06 Scooter (CBR1100xx), 09 CT110
    Thanks
    Badbilly, can you report back on the plasti dip please?

I use AGV sports for summer riding and warm and safe waterproof heated gloves in winter.
    The aaGV gloves are maybe 10-12 years old and still in the excellent condition, perfect fit. Just like a glove.
    I also have a backup pair of Rjays summer part mesh gloves which I got for a few bucks at a closing down sale. Despite infrequent use they are showing some separation at the seam next to the thumb.

Country
    My Ride
    1995 VFR750 2001 ST1100 2013 XT250
    Thanks
    You'll be glad that you had the knuckle protection, when you're punching a cager in the head, for cutting you off.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to karazy For This Useful Post:

Knight (02-17-2017)

Country
    My Ride
    '99
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by John451 View Post
    Haven't ridden with the Akira Evos yet but made in Hungary do like their fit and finish.
    Still liking my Held Akira Evos as my regular got to Glove and have supplemented the with Held Agadir Glove leather 3/4 Summer gloves in November, with temperatures reaching 101F my last ride was very glad I did, buying them slightly small they did take a couple of rides to wear but are now supremely comfortable though was a close toss up with the little more expensive full gauntlet Summer glove the Held Air Stream II.