Vfr1200

Discussion in '7th Generation 2010-Present' started by mustang0, Feb 25, 2015.

1. mustang0

mustang0 New Member

Ok where to start. Haven't been on here in a really long time lost my 2002 800 VFR to an accident in 08. Really loved that bike. Now I've started looking at the newer VFR1200. They have some really good deals right now. I can get a 2013 for $10,299 Just looking for some input or thoughts on this bike. Sorry if this has been covered before. Probably going to look at a black one tomorrow. Thanks for any input or advice.

2. iamzombie

iamzombie New Member

I'd suggest buying another 800, I've regretted buying my 2010 since I picked it up in the fall. It's just a passionless/soulless machine, IMO (from the factory, at least, I'm still trying to decide if I want to try investing the money to rescue it)

That having been said, many people enjoy their 12's, so I'm probably in the minority.

3. marriedman

marriedman New Member

United States
    Map
    I'm on the other end of the spectrum! I found my 2007 to be a soulless ride. I bought my 2010 and the bike is incredible. The only thing it lacks is the sweet exhaust sound of the traditional V4's.

I got mine for a song though. I wouldn't pay $10K for one.

Sent from my phone, please forgive brevity and misspelling

4. DriverDave

DriverDave New Member

United States
    Map
    FYI, in case you didn't know already, black is the only option on the 2013...the 2012 was blue. Don't even bother looking a any 2010's. The lowest price I've seen on a 2013 was $9995.00 a few months ago, so if you can get one locally for $10,300, I would say go for it. Although you might want to take both the 1200 and the new 2014 800 for a test ride to see which one "stirs your soul" the most. Although I love my 2014 VFR800, I do long for that freight train power of the 1200! I was very close to getting a 2013 1200 when I heard about the new 800 coming out, so I waited and ended up with one of those.

5. marriedman

marriedman New Member

United States
    Map
    Just curious, but why not? The only difference here in the states between the 2010 and the rest is color and traction control, and a different ECU mapping. But even that mapping had the 1st & 2nd gear retardation. So unless those three things mean that much to anyone, there is no reason to exclude the 2010 model. Especially when you can get them for $7500 out the door (tax and title) like I did!

6. mustang0

mustang0 New Member

Ya I thought about buying a good used 800 but even though I loved mine I still wished it had more power. The 800 does sound a little better thou. Thanks for the replies.

7. Floydy

Floydy New Member

Map
    When I bought my 20120 DCT a year ago, I hung onto my pre-VTEC 800Fi and swapping between the two revealed the following:

2000 registered 50th Anniversary VFR800Fi vs 2010 registered VFR1200 DCT

800 - Less stable in crosswinds than the 1200
    800 - More agile (despite being on the heavy side), has a top speed not too far off the 1200 and prone to popping the front wheel in the first 2 gears under hard acceleration.
    800 - Exhaust and engine note far more pleasing than the 1200 which sounds more like a large scooter than big V4 IMHO.
    800 - Agree with the statement that the 1200 can feel a bit soul-less compared to the 800 as a result of it being a little TOO refined IMHO.
    800 - Lower power output is really felt on long journeys after riding the 1200 for a while.

1200 - Fantastic braking and linked system does not make the bike 'squat' down under heavy braking like the 800.
    1200 - Reassuringly stable at high speeds unlike the slight twitchiness of the 800 (which is far more 'chuckable' around corners)
    1200 - Fairing works better than on the 800 but also looks less sporty.
    1200 - Exhaust note takes on a menacing tone as the revs climb when the exhaust flap opens, but nowhere near as pleasing as on the 800 with its OEM or aftermarket pipe.
    1200 - I hate the fact that wheel removal puts a strain on the exhaust gasket and clamp (loosening the clamp becomes a chore as it rusts more readily than on the 800).
    1200 - Not that much of a difference in tank range over the 800 - Both required fill-ups anywhere around 120-140 miles covered or worse if ridden hard.

I wish that the 1200 were lighter than it is...

8. Tpoppa

Tpoppa New Member

United States
    Map
    The VTEC just never did it for me. I've ridden enough of them to know they're not for me. For my $$$ a 2007-current CBR600RR with Helibars will do just about everything the VTEC can do, but better.

The Helibarred CBR is more comfortable for distance than the stock VFR...at least for me.
    The CBR has more range. I've gone 200+ between gas stops when easy on the throttle.
    The CBR will eat the VTEC's lunch in the twisties.
    The exceptions would be luggage, passenger accommodations, and exhaust note. The only real luggage option for the CBR is a Ventura Rack.

9. mustang0

mustang0 New Member

At 6' 4" I'm not sure i could get a cbr600rr to fit me. I sat on a friends 05 cbr1000rr and the footpeg distance was too tight for shifting. Not sure if the 600 is the same or not. I have also sat on a number of older 600F4i 's the ones with higher bars and two piece seats. They felt much better ergonomically.

10. Tpoppa

Tpoppa New Member

United States
    Map
    ^^
    I used to have an F4i, definitely more tall guy friendly than the 600RR.

11. keensali

keensali New Member

http://cycle-ergo.com/

Someone posted this website a while ago and I use it often when I am considering a bike change(trust me, I consider them WAY too often). It is great, input your height etc, then select a bike and see how you would fit on it.
    You can check out all angles you need....knee angle, hip angle, lean angle. Then, when you think you are close to the dimensions you want, you can adjust the bike bars as if you installed risers or lower foot pegs and see it could be better with aftermarket parts.
    I don't know how current the bikes are, but last time I was on there they were fairly up to date.

12. f3racer

f3racer New Member

My 2010 is one if the best bikes ive ever owned. With the exception of the exhaust note. My rc51 takes that honor.

13. Bas

Bas New Member

It's quite simple, buy a new or used VFR1200F/DCT, then rip out the ECU and ship it to Don Guhl.
    After a week you will have the best and most powerful bike you have ever ridden.
    Without the ECU modification this bike is poor and most want to sell it.
    After you love it and find it the best bike ever. I know I do.

As spring is coming back now, I rode my VFR800Fi after a few days on my 1200, the 800 is toy compared to the 1200.
    The 1200 with modification is sooooooo much better, without the modification the 800 wins hands down.

In short, get a 1200 and flash the ECU, then you love it. :smile-new:

14. Bas

Bas New Member

Don't go 800, trust me, you really do not know what you miss out on.
    A 1200 (any year) with a Don Guhl flash runs so much better then stock.

Yes the stock version is without sole of anything exciting. But after the flash (just 500 bucks to do) it becomes a totally different bike and has so much soul that it leaves all other bikes in the dust.

The 1200 cries for a flash, without it it's crap, sorry guys but it is.

In all my years of riding, I have never seen a bike so good as the 1200, it really is when modified.

15. Tpoppa

Tpoppa New Member

United States
    Map
    What specifically does the ECM mod do?

I have the Zbomb to get rid of the power restriction in 1st and 2nd. Beyond that the 1200 certainly isn't lacking power.

16. f3racer

f3racer New Member

$500? Was that because of shipping to Belgium? I thought i read somewhere that it was 375.

17. f3racer

f3racer New Member

18. Bas

Bas New Member

The flash is indeed 375, but as I didn't know your conditions I gave my payment to have it shipped.
    In my case 500 bucks :smug:

Anyway, what the ECU flash does....here it comes as it's a lot:

1: Remove all restrictions in all gears, by default is has a soft limit that kicks in at about 8000rpm in 1,2 and 3th gear, makes the bike feel like designed for pussies that don't know how to handle a throttle.
    2: Remove top speed restrictions, in each gear, making it go upto 295KM/h in 6th, not tested at I didn't go above 248 yet.
    3: Remove exhaust servo without error, making the exhaust normal or install an different one without errors.
    4: Install a fuel-map you want, not the Honda crap one, Don has a very good one (use it myself)
    5: No weird dips in the dynorun, it's terribly linear in all gears starting from about 2500~3000 RPM, where the default is terrible until 5000RPM.
    6: Because of this the power improves to about 190HP (EU HP) and about 140nm torque.
    7: Removes throttle delay, so it acts like running with a cable instead of fly-by-wire and response in weird ways, like in steep corners or roundabouts.

In short, it optimizes the bike in such a way that it turns into the bike you thought it should be when you bought it.
    And no, Z-bomz and other (way to expensive crap) does not turn this bike into a winner.

The flash from Don is the best 500 bucks I ever spend on any bike and for THIS bike, it's the best money you can ever spend to improve it, there is no comparison to anything else.
    Until you did, you will never know what a good bike this 1200 really is.

It turns a stock bike into a winner, nothing else needed.

19. Rider14

Rider14 New Member

United States
    Map
    I'm just getting to know my 2010 VFR1200, as I bought it in November and live in Chicago (COLD!) HAd a few nice days and got about 100 more miles on it and it's a great bike. I'm still sorting the stock suspension, which may ultimately need an upgrade, but I can attest to the issues with the fueling.

When driven easily around town, the bike is perfect. When riding it like a 600 supersport, the fueling in 1-3 gears is a problem. THere's a big dip around 4500 or so which needs smoothing out. That seems to me to be in addition to the ignition retard in those gears from the factory that can be addressed by the Z-Bomb.

Once I am better friends with the bike, I will decide the priority of the 3 remaining upgrades:

1. Side bags (saw a set go on ebay for $700)
    2. Suspension (~$700 plus shipping for revalving and springs from Jamie Dougherty)
    3. Reflash ($375 plus shipping)

If I find the bags for a decent deal, I'll likely just buy them, but that means no money for the reflash or suspension.

The suspension and reflash apparently completely transform the bike, but for now I can attest to the motor being one of the best I've ever ridden (and I've ridden a million bikes).

-Dan

20. Tpoppa

Tpoppa New Member

United States
    Map