vf500f2 exhaust

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by afroken, Feb 27, 2015.

1. afroken

afroken New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    I would like to know what every one else is using as the parts are like rocking horse shit.i had to make my own with 2brothers end can for a Suzuki with a bit of welding and bending. is there any parts that just bolt .

2. jeremyr62

jeremyr62 New Member

Ireland
    Map
    The consensus is the OE is probably the best for performance. You really need to keep the balance box in place if you can. You can still find parts on Ebay from time to time. I sourced a balance box from the US and it was in good condition. Marving make silencers that look like OE stuff. Headers still turn up the odd time. Nothing aftermarket out there anymore as far as I know. If you do find anything let us know.

3. desktopdave

desktopdave New Member

United States
    Map
    The VF500 Magna & Interceptor are relatively unloved over here (I like them so don't shoot the messenger). If you can arbitrage the American preference for cruiser-style bikes, why not? You're likely to find some decent parts. Shipping costs are murder though. The collector and pipes are pretty easy but the mufflers are tough to find in like-new condition.

If you do buy on US eBay, prefer listings in the drier southern & western parts of the country. The rust belt (NY, PA, WV, OH, IL, IN and parts north) is less likely to have sound parts, although it's still possible. Given our different riding characteristics, you're more likely to find decent low-mileage stuff here. A lot of VF500 are just sitting & rusting away. Typical prices for complete, running bikes tend to be less than $1K. I've heard they're great little bikes but high restoration costs and their notorious carbs have given them a bad rep. I bought a Honda V4 parts lot a while back with some VF500 stuff and I've had no luck selling them. Here's one that just posted about an hour north of me, he's asking $550. Admittedly, it has no title but otherwise looks pretty complete. If you find something promising, shoot me a PM. I'm not the fastest person on the planet, but I'm willing to work with reasonable people to trans-ship or hold parts until exchange rates work in your favor; I've sent stuff to Europe a few times before.

[​IMG]

4. backon2

backon2 New Member

I have been going over my bike and while looking at the exhaust I know I need to preserve what I have. Mine is not factory as it is headers. It is odd compared to OEM, it has right front and rear and left front and rear as two seperate circuits. Would anyone happen to know much about aftermarket exhaust systems? Thank you in advance for any information.

5. desktopdave

desktopdave New Member

United States
    Map
  6. backon2

backon2 New Member

Thanks desktopdave, I do believe that is what is on my bike, the slip-ons (muffler portion?) are kinda rough but the photos resemble mine pretty closely. The cans on mine are painted black though. I have already been thinking about swapping the mufflers with something that looks better. With a short piece of exhaust tubbing, maybe cutting off just the muffler body seems easy enough. I know carb jetting is critical so I guess I should use a straight through like what's on it?