Chain and Sprocket Questions

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by Interceptor Pilot, Mar 1, 2015.

1. Interceptor Pilot

Interceptor Pilot New Member

United States
    OK so I'm coming up on 15K on the Gen 6 and I'm thinking that it must be getting close to the time when I need to start thinking about a new chain/sprocket. However, this is my first chain driven bike and I'm a bit overwhelmed and unsure about all of the choices out there. Do I go with the OE recommendations as specificed in the book and order from Honda parts house, or are there better alternatives available? I've done a bit of research and to be quite honest it just makes my head explode. X-chain, different number combos, etc. Would appreciate recommendations for a good name brand and type of chain/sprocket set up. TIA.

2. MichaelD

MichaelD New Member

United States
    Map
    I prefer the x ring DID brand chain over RK. Go with a chain sprocket kit. Its cheaper unless your changing sprocket sizes. I just got a DID 530 chain and sprocket kit(comes with JT sprockets) through bike bandit for under 160.00. The RK kit was 190.00 if I remember correctly. Use a rivit type master link. I just don't trust the clip type at 90 mph. Others will chime in on their preferences shortly.

3. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    ^^ Agree totally with above. Only thing is, when you are looking to order, watch for whether it is an "O" ring or and "X" ring. I know D.I.D. offers both and probably other do as well. I believe the "X" ring does a better job at retaining the lubrican inside and the dirt and crap out of the pins and rollers.

Here is a site that explains the difference between the "O" and the "X" ring in fairly simple and brief terms.

http://www.biketorqueracing.co.uk/b...-chain-and-sprockets/o-ring-and-x-ring-chains

4. DriverDave

DriverDave New Member

United States
    Map
    Sprocketcenter.com

I've purchased multiple kits from here. Never been disappointed. Last 3 were 520 with no problems going 15K miles. I did try a 520 kit with a Vortex hardened aluminum rear sprocket once. It lasted 15k miles, but looked brand new right up to the day it lost most of its teeth...I was lucky to make it home. Decided it wasn't worth the weight savings to have an unknown failure point. I've used both DID and RK and didn't really notice a difference. There's really no reason to get a "stock" kit from Honda.

They also have pretty good chain break/rivet tools (like previous poster said, never use a clip type on a street bike).

5. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    When I did my '03, I used DID X-ring, Afram front sprocket and Vortex rear sprocket. Used disk grinder to grind link, then used tool to push out and another to set new link.
    Bought chain and sprockets from Indysuperbikes.com. Don't remember where I bought tools, maybe Sprocket Center. Google for best source.

6. Interceptor Pilot

Interceptor Pilot New Member

United States
    You guys are awesome. Many thanks for the assist and I will pursue your inputs. Great info.

7. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    Don't buy any no-name or cheap chain or you'll regret it. :mad-new: Using an OEM front sprocket will reduce noise and vibration.

8. mneal

mneal New Member

I recently purchased a DID x-ring chain and OEM sprockets from online dealer. I wanted the oem front sprocket for the rubber insert and with the additional $$ spent on rear it got me to free shipping so the cost offset made sense. Gonna install soon and will report back. (I have about 17k on bike since I bought it and although previous owner did a set at some point not sure when and I have slight vibration under power in foot pegs I think is related to tight links . (Chain jumps around some when I am lubing it in gear on center stand )

9. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    Geeze, i'm not brave enough for that !

10. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    Been doing it that way from day one. Piece of cardboard under tbe bike to keep the garage or driveway concrete oil spot free, attach the plastic straw, then spray away to the inside of the chain near where the chain meets the rear sprocket. Naturally turn the bike off to wipe down the excess.

I hate oil spots on garage floors and driveways. When I tore up my last driveway, it was spot free. Regardless of the old 71 Pontiac I used to own that leaked oil like a 1952 Mack.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2015