CA to WY. Advice needed.

Discussion in 'Trips & Events' started by mofo, Mar 2, 2015.

1. mofo

mofo New Member

United States
    Map
    I'm planning a ride for late June/early July.
    Ideally, and if there is enough interest, I'd like to meet fellow viffers along the way. Also need road recommendations.
    If there is enough interest, I'd like to travel 395 north to 89 towards Lake Tahoe, Lassen Volcanic Park, Crater Lake in OR, cross Idaho and visit Yellowstone, Grand Tetons and start my way home through UT or CO.
    If no one is interested in meeting along the way, I just may ride 15 North across UT and back.
    I like to stay off main highways as much as possible, backroads, scenic highways, National Parks and such are my preferred roads.
    Any recommendations for by-ways in ID, WY, northern UT and northern CO?

2. bikehikeflyCO

bikehikeflyCO New Member

Map
    Beartooth Highway through Northern Wyoming is always a good ride and will get you close to the north part of Yellowstone NP. Trail Ridge Road through Rocky Mountain National Park, with a lay over in Grandby at Hot Sulpher Springs. Ride Hwy 14 through Poudre Canyon in Northern Colorado from Fort Collins (my town) to Walden and then to Steamboat Springs and over Rabbit Ears Pass.

3. jstreet

jstreet New Member

Good Utah roads...

Hwy 89 Between Bear Lake and Logan. Lots of hills and curves and you're by a river a good part of the way.
    SR 150 (mirror lake highway) between Evanston and Kamas. 10,000 ft summit with lots of curves.
    SR 35 between Kamas and Hanna. Nice ride until you go through Hanna then it gets pretty boring but it will keep you off the highway and over to highway 6 and Price.
    SR 92 Between Alpine and Highway 189. If you go down 15 this is a good detour. Takes you through American Fork Canyon then over the Alpine loop (1.5 lane wide super curvy road through the Aspens).
    12 Between Teasdale and Hwy 89. Super awesome ride that starts near Capital Reef NP, takes you over 9000 ft summits, over devil's backbone, by Calf Creek Falls (short hike), Escalante / Hole in the rock road ( it's dirt but would be passable on a VFR, awesome slot canyons) and ends by Bryce Canyon NP.
    Hwy 9 between Hwy 89 and Rockville. The road through Zion NP.

If it was me I'd start in Evanston, take Hwy 150 to Kamas then 35 to Duchesne. Take 191 to Hwy 6/Price then SR 10 down to I70. Take I70 to SR72 then SR72 down to SR24. Quick out and back through Capitol Reef then down SR12 to Bryce Canyon. Lot's of camping around Escalante, not all of it in campgrounds. Calf Creek is a good hike in the area and if you're brave enough to ride 50 miles of dirt roads take hole in the rock road to peekaboo and spooky canyons. Visit Bryce Canyon then head down 89 to SR9 and ride through Zion NP. After that you're stuck with the Interstate but the Virgin River Gorge is still fun.

4. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Pop for a copy of Microsoft's "Streets and Trips" before it goes bye-bye. All sorts of variations allow for time/distance calculations, major and minor routing, route highlighting, markers, construction updates ect.

State and National Parks have websites with all sorts of info on routing, how many tourists were eaten by bears ect. Check that weather too. Some highways in the North don't even open until July.

The park services hire rookies in the Summer months usually for traffic stuff. The regular rangers are busy saving tourists from getting eaten by bears. A ticket in a National Park is a federal bust. If you get nailed by one of these rookies for a couple of miles over, take it to court. Chances are the summer hire is back in school somewhere so far from the actual court they won't show and you walk.

Get a GPS and some ziplock bags. The models for bikes are at bend over the sawhorse prices and one more thing to distract riders at any speed. The bears know this too.

5. tyarosevich

tyarosevich New Member

United States
    Map
    It would take an extra day probably, but riding east from Yellowstone and going up in and through the Bighorns is pretty awesome.

6. mofo

mofo New Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks everybody. All advice and recommendations are definitely being considered and dully noted.