Getting Ready for a Valve Adjustment on my 6th Gen Vtec

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by funnybusiness, Mar 19, 2015.

1. funnybusiness

funnybusiness New Member

Last summer I started to hear my Valve ticking away, and it slowly got worse until I put it away for the season. I have done several valve adjustments on other bikes, however I am not sure what tool(s) I will need for the Vtec system. Lucky I have the service manual but I just haven't had time to read it yet. My guess is that the Vtec valves wont need shimmed but the others will.

2. stewartj239

stewartj239 Member

United States
    Map
    Please update this thread with your progress. How many miles do you have on the bike?

3. funnybusiness

funnybusiness New Member

I have 25k on it now, I will make sure to take pictures of the work. I probably wont get started on it for two more weeks.

4. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

You can make the special tools easily. It is a relatively easy process, if you aren't going full boat and using adjustable cam gears to alter the factory cam timing.

5. funnybusiness

funnybusiness New Member

Wasn't planning on it, would you have a link to the Tools.

6. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

7. funnybusiness

funnybusiness New Member

After reading up a little bit, I ran into a write up http://members.home.nl/jfknippels/valve_overview.html He talked about a few items, however the thing that caught my eye was that in order to adjust the vtec valves I would need to get different size lifters. I guess I didn't realize that I would not be able to shim the vtec valves. Unless i read that wrong, I will have to take all the measurements and if i need a certain size lifter i will have to order it.

8. funnybusiness

funnybusiness New Member

Just an update, due to some work related issues i have not go around to doing my valve adjustment. I did however get to preform a starter valve adjustment and install a PCV. What a world of difference the Starter valve adjustment made. My bike would lurch around parking lots to the point I was starting to get worried about loosing my girlfriend off the back. The PCV seems to have smoothed out the rest of the bike especially the vtec engagement. I bought all the parts I need for the valves I just hope i can get to them soon. I was going to plan on putting in some different coolant to help with the summer heat. Does anyone have any recommendations?

9. Expvet

Expvet New Member

United States
    Map
    I am getting ready to do a starter valve synch this summer. What tool did you use for the synch. I have been looking at the Morgan Carb Tune.

10. funnybusiness

funnybusiness New Member

I have a Motion Pro Carbsync tool, I have used some older ones in the past that were mercury filled. They both seem to work about the same.

11. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    To solve the high heat problem in traffic out here, I installed a switch and relay to short the fan switch on the radiator to ground so I could control the fan manually on my '03. (relay is required because of high current of fan motor)

12. funnybusiness

funnybusiness New Member

That is definably something I will consider. I did do a modification were I installed the VTX fan blade, however I dont think it help at all. Now instead of the bike getting colder I just get hot air blown on me :(

13. Albz

Albz New Member

The ticking noise, what's the easiest way to recognize it? my 05 has 41 000 km on it now and there's a light highish pitch tick thats developed near idle speed, not sure if it is the valves or just my imagination, been paranoid about the valves lately

14. Zoober

Zoober New Member

34k miles. Valves sounds fine. Haven't taken it in yet. More than likely will once I get back from my Glacier trip. I'm not comfy enough doing it myself, dealer quoted me at $600, a LOT less than I was anticipating.

15. Albz

Albz New Member

Heard its a 20 minute job, Dealers quote 2 hours worth of labour... Rather having it done privately

16. MichaelD

MichaelD New Member

United States
    Map
    I'm very interested in this 20 min valve adjustment you speak of. Where did you hear this. You might want to find a better source.

17. Albz

Albz New Member

Yeah I also want to see it.. Don't trust it but am doing more research on the topic, haven't seen any similar techniques so I'm going to just bite the bullet and to it in to be done

18. OOTV

OOTV Insider

You might be thinking of this 20 minute video that a Honda mechanic made. Although it is 20 minutes, it was time condensed! Just gettin off the air box and throttle bodies alone could take about 20 minutes!

Anyway, here's the video...

[video=youtube_share;Tyo9LG9VtPY]http://youtu.be/Tyo9LG9VtPY[/video]

19. funnybusiness

funnybusiness New Member

Yep he condensed that pretty good, from the look of the video it took him a good while. Hopefully work will ease up and I will be doing mine shortly at the end of this month, then i will post up my time.

20. OOTV

OOTV Insider

I've put mine off for some time too, as I don't have the room in my garage to keep a half assembled bike and all my other crap in there to do this if I can't do this in one shot (day). Then if there is a need to replace any shims, unless you're clairvoyant, you wouldn't know which shim(s) to buy, thus you have to take your bike apart just get the measurements first, then do it all over again once you have the new parts.

I wish they had a shim kit, similar to what I found/bought for my Ducati, as I have a set of shims +/- a few sizes that I should have what I need when I do the valve check again. The last check the valves were all within spec. Next one is due in ~7k miles. At least according to the "new" interval Ducati gave the older model 2V engines, which is now 7.5k miles.