Riding Position / Knee Issues

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by oren09, Mar 25, 2015.

1. oren09

oren09 New Member

I am looking into a VFR for my next bike. More specifically a VFR800 1998-Current.

My left knee was replaced one year ago (exactly as of today, in fact) and although I can walk fine, it still does not have enough bend to ride most sport bikes.

My current bike is a 1989 Kawasaki Ninja 750R. It kills me to ride for any length of time and I can hardly get my foot on the peg at all the first few minutes.

Obviously, the simple solution is a cruiser, but who wants to ride one of those?

Cycle-ergo.com lists the VFR800 as having 74* knee angle vs my Kawi's 76*.
    I want to know if anyone here has a similar situation and how the bike feels to you.
    I've come across some lowered pegs (kinda pricey, too) that may improve things. Anyone have experience with these?

Thanks all :)

2. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    Shouldn't you have the same or nearly the same flexibility with a replaced knee? Maybe a physio therapist might be able to help you get that bend in your knee that you are missing. Of course, I don't know the nature of the ailment or injury that caused you to get a knee replacement. But just pointing out that it could be an issue you might be able to overcome with some assistance.

3. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Think it's spyder time.

4. Big_Jim59

Big_Jim59 Member

United States
    Map
    I have the VFR and now the VTR and I am amazed at the difference. The VFR800 (5th Gen) with the lowered pegs and Heli Bars is so relaxed by comparison. I am thinking the VTR is more a real "sport bike" riding position and I find that is wads me up a but but not so bad I can't enjoy it. I might feel very different after 100 miles or so. I think you will find that with the right mods the VFR will fit the bill. I used the Buell pegs to lower the foot position and they were not pricy.

5. V4toTour

V4toTour New Member

United States
    Well, that might be a little extreme. He said he's got a new knee, not missing a leg.

Maybe a cruiser, like an Indian Scout.

6. motorn

motorn New Member

Look into Knight Design, for lower foot pegs. I bought a set for my 1200.Very nice product for a reasonable price. I'm also running a titanium hip,so I know what your going thru. As long as your able to get on your bike,Keep Riding

7. jugornot

jugornot New Member

United States
    Map
    Knee replacements vary from person to person. Damage to tendons and muscles before surgery do not magically go away. And not all results are equal. That said I had no trouble on the vfr1200 after getting my knee replaced.

8. Cyborg

Cyborg New Member

United States
    Hoping my results are as good, replacing my right knee in June and once it's operational, the left.

9. oren09

oren09 New Member

Thanks for the replies guys.

My knee replacement could be considered a success as I no longer walk with a cane.
    However I know I can not achieve the same bend as seen in jugornot's picture.
    My flexibility is only slightly improved from before surgery when I was riding a 1992 CB750. I could hardly get my foot on the peg of that bike as well.
    I am only 24 years old, but my knee was locked from arthritis that started when I was about 11. My right elbow is in the same condition, so bar placement is also important, but chances are a bike my knee is comfortable on will also work for my elbow.

10. skimad4x4

skimad4x4 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

France
    Map
    Hi oren09 and welcome to the Madhouse:welcome:.

As you have already discovered the online ergonomics website, I think the best advice to give is to try and find a trusting VFR owner living near you who is willing to let you check out the bike ergonomics. Sadly computers don't really take into account things like how wide the seat cushion is, which can affect the effective seat height. Certainly a friend found that whilst they were very happy on one bike, they were perched on tiptoes on another manufacturers bike which officially has the same seat height and ergonomics.

So what to do? First off why not call around local motorbike dealers - not just Honda - as used VFRs can be traded in at other dealerships to try and find a dealer with one or more used 800s for sale. It is probably worth mentioning the knee mobility issue when setting set up a test ride appointment, as a good dealer will know what adjustments are possible using standard or aftermarket kit.

I am not sure if there was any material change in the ergonomics of stock 5th gen and 6th gen bikes but even if they are not perfect, you may find things like custom seats, rear sets and helibars may allow you to obtain a more comfortable riding position.

Despite what computers tell you, actually sitting on a bike wearing your full riding gear is the only way to figure out whether or not a VFR will suit your needs.

Good luck - let us know how you get on.

SkiMad

11. oren09

oren09 New Member

Thanks for the replies guys.

My knee replacement could be considered a success as I no longer walk with a cane.
    However I know I can not achieve the same bend as seen in jugornot's picture.
    My flexibility is only slightly improved from before surgery when I was riding a 1992 CB750. I could hardly get my foot on the peg of that bike as well.
    I am only 24 years old, but my knee was locked from arthritis that started when I was about 11. My right elbow is in the same condition, so bar placement is also important, but chances are a bike my knee is comfortable on will also work for my elbow.

12. jugornot

jugornot New Member

United States
    Map
    Hate to advertise a competitive product, but maybe you should try the FJ-09. Basic suspension (many end up modifying the VFR.) Looks like a big knee angle but its less than the CB750. Hip angle is where the difference is. A little more character than a i-4.