RR problem and voltmeter.

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by bobdigi88, Mar 28, 2015.

1. bobdigi88

bobdigi88 New Member

Hi. After my Stator Regulator/Rectifier problems i am going through i am currently working on the Mod.
    I am going to wire the elctrix Stator straight to the new mosfet RR http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/380704480069?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT, no connections, then straight to the battery, and back again.
    I'm not going to carry out the work myself. My mechanic is going to do it for me. But could someone please confirm i have the MOD correct?
    And do i need a fuse from battery to Stator?

Also i am thinking about adding a voltmeter to my bike. If i was too, would this one be correct? And would the drain from the battery be an issue?

Lastly, how does this voltmeter seem? Is it correct? http://www.amazon.co.uk/DROK-Voltmet...CLE+volt+meter
    Thank you, Bob.

2. FJ12rydertoo

FJ12rydertoo Member

United States
    Map
    The link didn't work, but I've wired my voltmeter through a fuse box and it is switched so it only comes on with the ignition. Even though the drain might be minimal I don't think I would wire it up to be on all the time. JMO of course.

3. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    Here's a good R/R and stator hook up. The notes say Compufire, but ignore that.
    [​IMG]

On the voltmeter there are plenty of flavors. Some guys like to use a relay triggered by the rear tailight...
    My taste... I prefer to go direct to the battery with a fuse and switch on the plus side. On a 5th gen you route the wires down the left side of the bike and zip tie it to the stock harness. On switches and fuses, there are probly 50 different variations that you could use. My switch/fuse is under the seat, some guys mount one up front.

Good luck

4. NormK

NormK New Member

The volt meter just needs to be connected to any ignition on active wire, this will already be a fused wire

5. TNRabbit

TNRabbit New Member

Map
    You can also connect a voltmeter directly to the battery with an inline fuse and SWITCH...this will allow you to check voltage with the engine off, a handy feature.

6. bobdigi88

bobdigi88 New Member

7. TNRabbit

TNRabbit New Member

Map
  8. rjgti

rjgti New Member

you can go off of fuse A,or F. then it will only be on with the ignition

9. NormK

NormK New Member

Digital meter will cost less than $10

10. GigemVFR

GigemVFR New Member

United States
    Map
    Wanted to check and see if anyone had any experience with Sparkbright? Never heard results on this post and curious about performance and longevity. This works very similar to the Signal Dynamics voltmeter but does not have big module to mount. I was curious if this one would last. It is much smaller and easier to mount and costs less as well, $22US. I was even thinking about mounting in pre-cut hole to lower right of tachometer (think this is used if equipped with HISS). Although digital voltmeter does show exact voltage, this LED shows/flashes different colors to indicate state of charging/voltage. See chart below.

http://www.sparkbright.co.uk/sparkright-eclipse-battery-voltage-monitor.php

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

11. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    Hey Gig....

I have written many times on the "idiot light" voltmeters and why you should avoid. A healthy VFR charging system will show on a digital voltmeter high 13s to lowish 14 volts. Especially on the OEM Honda voltmeters it will drift down into the low 13s when the start of something amiss happens. - Meaning --- your green volts at 13.2 and your a happy puppy and the real meaning is your on the way to be screwed. The green still shows into the 12s, and you WILL be stranded.

Lesson - take that color chart as BS and get a digital voltmeter.

[​IMG]

12. GigemVFR

GigemVFR New Member

United States
    Map
    Good to know. That is what I was curious about, whether these are worth it or not. Is that mounted on your bike in pic? That is what I am looking for, something that does not stick out like you added it and factory-like. Which the next question is what brand is that one and where did you get it? What aluminum plate did you use to mount on or did you make yourself. Appreciate the help.

13. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    I made the setup myself.......its only one way to go, but I like it. - I suggest you look thru the linked thread for ideas on voltmeters, there must be 50ish....
    http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/...-post-your-voltmeter-mount-pics/?hl=voltmeter

14. GigemVFR

GigemVFR New Member

United States
    Map
    Gracias, Dude.

15. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    :twitch: IMGP0315.jpg
    that's where the steering damper goes, I can tell if my lights aren't working without a volt meter

16. FJ12rydertoo

FJ12rydertoo Member

United States
    Map
    Maybe that useless steering damper will help you push the bike when the R/R fails. Steering dampers can be useful on some bikes, but on the VFR a voltmeter is infinitely more useful than a steering damper.

17. bigbadbass

bigbadbass New Member

United States
    Map
    INTERPRETING the idiot light...lower charging output voltages will be accompanied by a "hanging" amber, reluctant or hesitant to quickly reach green....therefore justifying further diagnosis.....interpretation not differering one bit from a lower digi reading, just a different way to get there.

More than one way to skin a cat, my friend.

18. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    ok added to my list volt meter, my list keeps growing will it ever stop-I don't think so:vfrshorty: