Carb removal?

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by 84Interceptor500, Mar 28, 2015.

1. 84Interceptor500

84Interceptor500 New Member

I cannot figure out how to remove these carbs. I'm relatively new to both bikes and carbs. I haven't been able to find a write up of any kind on it. I'm sure there is one but I'm just looking in the wrong place

2. TOE CUTTER

TOE CUTTER Mullet Man

United States
    Map
  3. desktopdave

desktopdave New Member

United States
    Map
    That's a great post, follow those directions and you'll be OK.

I tend to use a giant screwdriver and I've also used a 3' prybar in the past. Re-installing them is even more painful. New boots are strongly recommended.

As mentioned...don't remove the carbs from the lower plenum until they're safely out of the bike. The carb rack is one unit. Also be very careful with the plastic fuel tubes when you're removing individual carbs on your work bench. They're so very easy to break. The carbs are screwed onto the plenum, but they also have small locating sleeves that require you to wiggle the carbs out. It is possible to clean the carbs pretty well without pulling them off the rack.

I'm wondering if a local bike shop would let you put a stripped carb rack in their ultrasonic tank. I'm not sure if I'm being clear, but I'm talking about taking the whole rack to a good bike shop...carb bodies still bolted onto the plenum but with all four sets of slides, floats and jets removed. IMHO that's the best route; no more broken fuel tubes. Industrial sweep-frequency ultrasonic cleaners do an excellent job in most cases. The shop might not be willing to overhaul your carbs individually, but I'm pretty sure they'd give you a tank dip very economically.

4. 84Interceptor500

By the manifold do you mean the thing on top of the carbs that the airbox mounts to?

5. TOE CUTTER

TOE CUTTER Mullet Man

United States
    Map
    Yes, it can be damaged so don't get all crazy and go all willy nilly prying on it. If the carbs have been on there for a long time they may resist being removed so pack some patience and pry with care.

6. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    I just removed my carbs from an '83 that had been on a long time. No way were they going to move without help.
    I loosened all bands on rubber boots.
    Got a can of WD-40 and started saturating top of bands. If you can get a long handed flat edge screw driver in there, gently pry at the boots to create a gap, squirt more WD-40 in gaps. Keep repeating until you can lift boots away from carbs as much as possible. Then, and only then, start applying press by prying carbs from heads, keep working at it until they start to move, then rock carbs by hand back an forth. Squirt more WD-40 if you have to, they will eventually pop off.

7. 84Interceptor500

That thread didn't really explain how to get the carbs off... I have the boots and cables disconnected, what now though?

8. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    Carbs are at a V angle and have to come off as a unit, hence the rubber boots. You say boots are disconnected? Carbs are free of heads/intake ports? My rubber boots were stuck to the carbs and throats, it took alot 0f WD-40, prying and rocking to break them loose. However, mine is a 750, don't know if 500's are much different except smaller. If your carbs are free of engine but you can't get them out, someone else will need to help you.

You just rock them back an forth until boot are totally free of throats.

[​IMG]
    Here are my carbs (upside down), you can see throats are at an angle to each other, you can't lift directly out, you have to rock them to free one bank, then the other.

9. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    It's only necessary to separate the carbs from the airbox base if there are leaks from fuel crossover tubes; otherwise leave carbs together for cleaning the jets.

Suggested pry points:

IMG_1267.jpg

Heat helps removal, so use a hair dryer or heat gun.

10. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    Those carbs will soon be other way to you Squirrelman!

11. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    I'll begin work as soon as they arrive, thanks ! :smile:

12. 84Interceptor500

So I finally got the carbs off about an hour ago! I guess they were just cleaned, but there was a small clog somewhere I fixed with carb cleaner and compressed air. Now the bottom of the carb where the gas fitting is leaks gas. What can I do about that?

13. 84Interceptor500

I hooked up a fuel line and funnel, and whenever I put gas into it it leaks out of the first carb

14. RotaryRocketeer

RotaryRocketeer New Member

Could be due to old dried up o-rings. With any luck, putting fuel to them will swell them back up. Mine did and I've not seen a leak since. Also, make sure the bowl drain screw is tightened up.

15. desktopdave

desktopdave New Member

United States
    Map
    You might have a stuck/sinking float or a bad valve or grit in the seat. The carbs will overflow if the floats don't seal up.

You can get new o-rings for those carb bowls very cheaply. They're a standard size but I don't recall off the top of my head. It's something like a 44x2.5mm. Viton rubber is best for the alcohol fuel mixes we're getting.