Brake pad wisdom please

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by DKC, Mar 28, 2015.

1. DKC

DKC New Member

Two questions: I need new rear pads, but not fronts. Going from OEMs to EBC HH.
    (1) Do I need to replace the fronts also?

Last time I changed rear pads (on a Harley) I wound up having to rebuild the master cylinder as well. (Probably a screw up on my end).
    (2) Is there anything special about our VFR calipers I need to be aware of?

2. superpsu

superpsu New Member

You do not need to replace the front brake pads if you need to replace the rear pads. The pads you selected may in fact be better than OEMs. I have not ran those pads, so I cannot confirm. There isn't anything special with the VFR calipers. They are pretty easy to remove and clean. If you have a repair manual, just follow the steps, or look on youtube if you don't have one. Hope this helps.

3. FJ12rydertoo

FJ12rydertoo Member

United States
    Map
    My rear wheel braking changed considerably when I went from OEM to HH pads. They grip much better than OEM. That being said I also went to the stainless brake lines so that is part of the reason too. But my rear brake was unbelievably weak, and now you can actually feel it slow the bike. I think I could lock the rear wheel if I really stood on it. I don't use it very strongly but it is different from what it was.

I see no reason to change the fronts when you change the rears. I hardly ever really used the rear brake hard, but I found that I had to replace the rear pads long before the front. I'm thinking the linked brakes may have something to do with it.

4. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

Kuwait
    Map
    EBC HH pads are great; much more bite than OEM. If you have linked brakes I think putting the same pads up front would be wise as you will otherwise change the relative power of the brakes ie the back could lock before the front brakes are working hard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. drewl

drewl Insider

United States
    Map
    I wouldn't worry about rebuilding the calipers. My VFR is 15 years old now and I have had no issues with the calipers.
    I replaced the rear pads a few summers ago. Made no real difference in handling. I just purchased new pads for this summer. I hope to be able to break them in suitably.