Better more comfy grips? Helibar Risers?

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by hightowermusic, Apr 14, 2015.

1. hightowermusic

hightowermusic New Member

Ok after riding my VFR around all day a few weeks ago. It was probably around 10 hours with a short break at Jack In The Box and a short stop back at the house to change out my smoked shield. I decided I need some more comfortable grips. Comfortable as in padded. My hands really hurt and so did my wrist. Especially the right wrist. I also decided I am going to definitely get some risers. Looked at some new grips online (revzilla, cyclegear, motorcyclesuperstore) Any suggestions from someone who has a great set? I think I am going Helibars for the risers, but suggestions are welcomes as well :) thanks in advance.

2. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    There is nothing more adjustable and with more reach / rise than Convertibars:

https://convertibars.3dcartstores.com/Honda-VFR-80002-09-Bike-Specific-Kit_p_168.html

I'm just finishing up installing a set to my '02 VFR800 - I would have been done last night, but I decided to replace all the brake / clutch fluids at the same time. :)

I was originally going to go with HeliBars but I couldn't get a group buy together. I decided to go this route because it gave me adjustability - HeliBars are fixed with no real adjustment.

3. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Helibars are not risers and do not require exchanging hydraulics to install. At over $600.00 for some riser kits, the Helibars are half the cost.

Best bet on grips is maybe your grip is too tight.

4. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    Billy, you don't need to replace the lines with Convertibars unless you want to max the travel out.

Even then, it appears that if I did want to max my travel out, all I'd need is a front brake line only according to my installation. If you felt the need to replace your throttle lines, you can replace them with ST1100 throttle cables which are economical and less expensive than custom.

There's still more adjustability in the Convertibars vs. HeliBars if you set them at the same rise / pullback because you can adjust the angle of your wrist which is a big part of what causes the wrist pain in the first place.

Just sayin' .... ;)

5. Hatchet67

Hatchet67 New Member

Map
    I have handle bars (Renthal 755) on my 1999 with risers bolted through the triple I think $120 for all of it. My father in law is setting his 2002 with bars and has the parts on order, I'll see if he will post up his when he is done.

003.jpg

6. Badbilly

United States
    Let us know when you actually get set up and what needed to be done. Who knows, I may swap my Helibars for some 24' or metric apehangers. ;)

7. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    Hatchet - those look great! How do you like the Oxford Heaterz? I'm installing those on mine right now.

Billy - I should be done tonight if the kids are done archery class early enough. :)

8. motorn

motorn New Member

I use the Speigler bars on my 1200. Big comfort difference, with the use of stock lines. Adjustable for height of bars,and nice bar width. Very happy with this setup.

9. DriverDave

DriverDave New Member

United States
    Map
    Just get a set of Heli-bars, a set of Vibrinators, and a set of ProGrip 719's. Easy install (No messing with stock dampers and grips) and your hands will be happy!

10. Joshua C

Joshua C New Member

As far as grips go you could try grip puppies or grab on grip covers. They add a little bit of diameter and make the grips a little softer. At $10-$20 it might be worth a try. I like them.

11. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Puppies are awesome...on my third set.....

12. Badbilly

United States

If you lived in the states, your kids could all have their very own AK47's. I went to high school in the harbor area of LA.. the boys did not have archery. Probably a good thing..

13. Badbilly

United States
  14. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    You sick puppy. Ha
    Funny walmart

15. VFR777

VFR777 New Member

Map
  16. Hatchet67

Hatchet67 New Member

Map
    I like the oxfords. They were replacing an older set that were still working but figured I would never get them off the old bars.

17. hightowermusic

hightowermusic New Member

18. Tachyon2

Tachyon2 New Member

Motorn
    Which Speigler bars did you install?

19. motorn

motorn New Member

The kit for the VFR1200 DCT. I was able to use the stock brake line. The only thing is you can't use the stock bar ends.Made my 1200 alot more comfortable than stock. You can rotate the bars up or down to your preference. I recommend them,for the 1200.

20. Tachyon2

Tachyon2 New Member

I've got an 06 VFR. Speigler rep is telling me the "superbike low" bars are recommended; without cable adjustments or fairing/windshield mods. However, the only youtube vid I can find, shows an installation of these bars & he still feels pressure in the hands. He recommends the "high bars" Specifically, Speigler has 3 bars for the VFR, the superbike low, street low & the street high bars. The rep. says if I want to use one of the other bars, I'm on my own regarding fit. It's a mystery as to the results of these other 2 bars, in terms of installation & modifications.

I read another post on this site, about a guy installing the Speigler street high bars. He changed out the brake reserviours, all cables & "minor" fairing/windshield mods. Sounds complicated.