Possible issue at 4.6~5k rpms

Discussion in '3rd & 4th Generation 1990-1997' started by royalsfan, Apr 15, 2015.

1. royalsfan

royalsfan New Member

Hello all,

I am looking for some insight about an engine noise that happens between 4600-5000 rpm. The tone of the motor changes noticeably to what sounds to me like a table saw, perhaps ripping some paneling. This happens in every gear on accel and decel, as well as neutral. I have also noticed it to a much lesser degree around 6200 rpm.

A little background- purchased this subject '93 about a month ago. It has just under 14k miles on the clock. I believe I am the third owner. The 2nd owner had it since 2007, and only put 2k miles on it. Basically, it sat in heated shop under a cover. He said he started in regularly, but I doubt it. He said they used high octane race fuel to store their bikes. I have run two tanks of ethanol free fuel since purchase. Think I got around 30-35 mpg. He stated that he had the carbs off for cleaning a few years ago. To me, the bike runs pretty good, but feels like throttle response is slow/ lacking some power. The carbs probably need to be inspected and cleaned again. This is my first VFR, so need some direction/ advice/ opinions.. thanks for any help!

2. royalsfan

royalsfan New Member

I have noticed that the noise goes away almost completely when I am running a full tank, but comes back gradually as the fuel tank empties. Not sure why this happens.

3. MichaelD

MichaelD New Member

United States
    Map
    Is it coming from the tank. Fuel pump noise maybe.

4. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    You got the two little rubber blocks on the front of the petrol tank? Got a noise resonating through the frame of the bike through the petrol tank? These bikes should accelerate well, you probably need to service the carburetors.

5. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    :worthless: had to add that

6. jorgescar69

jorgescar69 New Member

United States
    Map
    Gotta show us something